I'm tired of seeing hot chicks with losers

124»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Reading up I don't, at this time, think that prescription drug use is a likely factor in these shootings.
    But I am still skeptical.

I do feel strongly that drugs are over prescribed including for mental illness. But that is another topic for another day.

Reading up the prescription medication theory is weak.
    Most people who engage in a single event mass shooting have been diagnosed with a mental illness. Nothing surprising there.
    Most people diagnosed with a mental illness are given drugs. Nothing surprising there.
    Most people with a mental illness are greatly helped by medication. Very few are violent. Fewer than the general population.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

There are about 24 mass shootings a year in the US. They account for a fraction of total homicides.

^ this refers to incidents where 3 or more people are shot.
    There are many more incidents where the shooter fails to shoot that many people, or is stopped before they even fire.

Still, these incidents are rare and are not a reason to either limit or expand gun rights.

Our schools are being turned into high security areas where children as young as kindergarten practice what to do if there is an active shooter in the school. Children are far more likely to be shot by a gun in their home than at school. People over react.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    A society seeped in violence, greed, deception, and narcissism where most people aspire to achieve a level of wealth/comfort/status/fame they will never likely reach... the stress from this is complex and causes people to snap. But there has to be some sort of middle ground between the "the gov't wants to steal our arms!" and the "we don't need any guns at all!" beliefs on the issue. The political right seems less likely to even engage in meaningful discussion on the issue.

The optimist in me hopes that at least all this national discussion will create some further dialogue about mental health and the stresses of modern life, coping mechanisms, support systems, etc. But I don't think any real gun reform is going to happen.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I take antidepressants so I guess it's only a matter of time before I start shooting. Since correlation apparently now equals causation.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Shots fired in an Oregon school today...

http://www.seattlepi.com/aboutus/article/Shooting-at-high-school-near-Portland-5541741.php

Shots were fired Tuesday morning at a high school near Portland.

First reports indicated one person dead and one wounded.

Several media reports identify the school as Reynolds High School in Troutdale.

CNN is reporting that there have been injuries. It also is reporting that a shooter is dead. Police have apparently secured the school.

The Oregonian reports that there were three shooters. Two fled, and one was arrested.

The Portland newspaper also reports that at least one student has been wounded.

Paging European strutters: How often is this shit happening in your schools?

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    parallax said:
    Shots fired in an Oregon school today...

http://www.seattlepi.com/aboutus/article/Shooting-at-high-school-near-Portland-5541741.php

Shots were fired Tuesday morning at a high school near Portland.

First reports indicated one person dead and one wounded.

Several media reports identify the school as Reynolds High School in Troutdale.

CNN is reporting that there have been injuries. It also is reporting that a shooter is dead. Police have apparently secured the school.

The Oregonian reports that there were three shooters. Two fled, and one was arrested.

The Portland newspaper also reports that at least one student has been wounded.

The NRA, most Republicans, and many in Congress say I shouldn't care about this because FREEDOM.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    parallax said:

Never in my experience, not sure what google would say but I can't think of a single mass-shooting at a school. Sure, there have been gang-related killings in/around British schools, but think just individuals targeted as opposed to angry dude going postal.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Hey, 'Merica....your shit is leaking up North

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Moncton_shootings

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    parallax said:

Never in my experience, not sure what google would say but I can't think of a single mass-shooting at a school. Sure, there have been gang-related killings in/around British schools, but think just individuals targeted as opposed to angry dude going postal.

Dunblane
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    tabira said:
    Duderonomy said:
    parallax said:

Dunblane
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre

Oh shit, yeah... followed by an immediate change to gun ownership laws which didn't stop the odd nut job as the wiki page demonstrates. But surely helped.