Wayne Henderson

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited April 2014 in Strut Central

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    RIP Mr. Henderson. Your musical legacy will keep your timeless music alive. I grew up on The Jazz Crusaders, so this loss really hits home.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    RIP Mr. Henderson. Your musical legacy will keep your timeless music alive. I grew up on The Jazz Crusaders, so this loss really hits home.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Let us not forget his work with Pleasure as well.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Rest In Peace.

To me his work as a producer was even more important than his work as a player. That certain late 70s jazz-funk sound he shaped for artists like Side Effect, Pleasure, Ronnie Laws, Bobby Lyle, Arthur Adams...was so influential when my musical interests started to spread out, away from Hip Hop only as a teen. Polished in a good way.

Allspice - Slipped Away

Pleasure - Ghettos Of The Mind

Side Effect - Private World

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    He was my favourite trombonist. He didn't play like the others of his generation that I'm familier with. His solos were more melodic, his sound more expressive - yet without losing the perscussive edge that was the instrument's strength. On time bomb he's as funky as Fred Wesley but with greater melodic phrasing. On Lilies of the Nile he sounds like he's singing on those long stretched-out notes. I'm sometimes guilty of finding the trombone a little monotone, a little plodding, but never Henderson.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    My personal fave, Wayne Henderson RIP