9/11 Museum Admission Fee

LazarusOblongLazarusOblong 896 Posts
edited January 2014 in Strut Central
Awesome, huh?

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/23/911-museum-to-charge-24-admission/

Who knew when they said "national tribute" it would be more like Beatlemania than the Vietnam Memorial?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    article says your old azz will get reduced entry

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    But then again, what would be more American than to turn tragedy into commerce?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Frank said:

:game_over:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Frank said:

Don't they have pay tours of Auschwitz with a gift shop that sells $3.00 candy bars?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Joseph C. Daniels, the president and chief executive of the foundation said:
    the charge is essential to ensure the organization???s financial health, especially since the museum does not receive governmental support for its operating costs.

Makes sense to me. The amount is pretty high but the cost of being in that neighborhood alone without being subsidized must be astronomical.

• Why would anyone want to see this?

everything is easily googleable if you wanted to know about this topic.

• Rockadelic said:
    Frank said:

Don't they have pay tours of Auschwitz with a gift shop that sells $3.00 candy bars?

the Poles have tried relentlessly to develop Auschwitz: there's been retail shops built adjacent to it, a pay parking lot, huge church, there's been proposals for a mall, etc. Poles be like, what's the big deal?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    speakmumbles said:
    Why would anyone want to see this?

And thus are all museums rendered pointless.

• Horseleech said:
    speakmumbles said:

lol yeah seriously; the fuck kinda question is that?

though I do wonder what the museum contains.

worth a visit? anyone been?

• rootlesscosmo said:
    Horseleech said:
    speakmumbles said:

lol yeah seriously; the fuck kinda question is that?

though I do wonder what the museum contains.

worth a visit? anyone been?

http://www.911memorial.org/

• Rockadelic said:
    Frank said:

How is the Polish dollar doing these days?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Ah, shit. Every time I get the urge to come back here and start posting again I realize MLJ is all over this place and then I wanna leave again.

• Poles deserve every dime they can get off that shit.
    I went to the memorial, and it was very moving. Found a couple names I knew.

Don't like the cover charge? Don't pay it. You can protest the ground zero mosque, or do some ground zero yoga, or eat a ground zero muffin, or buy some marked down slightly irregular ground zero fashion at century 21. And then fuck off back to where you came from you damn tourists.

• Sorry, hadn't had my coffee.

The line to get into the memorial is insane, I think charging admission for the museum is as much a crowd control tactic as anything.

And fuck yeah, charge these fools who hate everything about NYC but want to come shed tears at the WTC site because "we were all attacked that day".... Fuck off.

• and, there are expenses to cover:

• Double

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    or buy some marked down slightly irregular ground zero fashion at century 21.

And I thought they were just about real estate! I never knew they sold cheap, dull looking clothes to young women who probably don't understand Roman numerals such as XXI, anyway.

• Rockadelic said:
    Frank said:

I went there this year while in Poland/ Germany, I don't regret going but man it was hard to walk through there.
    Yes it does cost money but the only way to go in is by guided tour. For obvious reasons they don't want people running around freely in a site like that and they need to pay for the guides + maintenance. Also 1usd = 3 polish dollars...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Wait- who is MLJ?

• Beatsoup said:
    Yes it does cost money but the only way to go in is by guided tour. For obvious reasons they don't want people running around freely in a site like that and they need to pay for the guides + maintenance.

You can go in without a guide outside of peak daily hours, which are 10-4 or something like that.

Unless that's changed recently, but I don't think it has.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    My neighbour went to the 911 museum last week and found it very worthwhile.

If you had lifetimes of nothing better to do you could perhaps google all the facts, then google all the conspiracy "No, they are not the facts" counter-facts, but google doesn't curate what turned out to be the most interesting personal stories, or add any context in the way a good museum does. As with music, nothing hits as hard as actually seeing the shit yourself.

b/w

Never forget.

• weird how it has evolved from a date in time into a noun, as in tourists asking "Which way is it to 9/11? What street do we go to?"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Gary said:
    Wait- who is MLJ?

Martin Luther Jing?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Someone has to pay/work to maintain it. Get real, commie.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    Ah, shit. Every time I get the urge to come back here and start posting again I realize MLJ is all over this place and then I wanna leave again.

Holy shit--good catch! I didn't realize it was him.