Brooklyn Whole Foods to Sell Records

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
not hating on brooklyn or "hipsters" but i figured this might qualify as strutnip.

if this is anything like urban outfitters, this is going to be garbage. over-priced indie rock and classic rock represses for 30 bucks. that said, i like the concept of buying records at a grocery store but i don't think i earn enough to shop at a grocery store with a "philsophy"...academy in brooklyn better watch it's back!
Records and reclaimed vinyl jewelry made by Brooklyn-based designer Wrecords by Monkey will also be for sale in the vinyl section (yes, there is one) that???s adorned with exposed records.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/brooklyn-foods-article-1.1547374#ixzz2nXuKtSZE

Comments

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    reclaimed vinyl jewelry made by Brooklyn-based designer

:get_on_my_level:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Grocery stores, .05c and dimes, variety stores, were where the budget labels of the 50s, 60s were sold.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Grocery stores, .05c and dimes, variety stores, were where the budget labels of the 50s, 60s were sold.

Hey,

Woolworth's used to have the heat. I picked up plenty of nice LPs from that store back in the day. :real_headz:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    LaserWolf said:

Hey,

Woolworth's used to have the heat. I picked up plenty of nice LPs from that store back in the day. :real_headz:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I still have a Beatles picture disc from a Midwest store called Alco (The Wal Mart Superstore of it's day) that's worth a lot more than I paid for it as a child in the late 70's.

• Big_Stacks said:
    LaserWolf said:

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I bought my 1st Stooges LP at a Woolworth's way back when out of a budget rack.

My first "real" record store was a luggage shop that started selling records on the side.

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Process small/Newspapers/Newspapers Out of NY/Quincy Mass Sun 1972/Quincy Mass Sun 1972 - 0310.pdf

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

I bought my 1st Stooges LP at a Woolworth's way back when out of a budget rack.

Just watch the Mudhoney documentary I'm Now and Mark Arm basically tells the same story. Worth a watch if you like Mudhoney.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    LaserWolf said:

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yes.
    I was pulling records out of downtown Portland Woolworths in 1990/1.

Fred Meyers had one rack of records back then. Norman Connors, Parliament, Debbie Taylor, others, every week it would get refreshed with the same records. $1, I would buy them all every week.

• LaserWolf said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    LaserWolf said:

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yes.
    I was pulling records out of downtown Portland Woolworths in 1990/1.

Fred Meyers had one rack of records back then. Norman Connors, Parliament, Debbie Taylor, others, every week it would get refreshed with the same records. $1, I would buy them all every week.

Pretty sure nothing resembling any of this is going to happen at Whole Foods.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    the only records I have from straight-up Stop & Shop are Havlicek Stole the Ball, the story of the '65 Celtics and The Shadow radio shows with Orson Welles as the Shadow that scared the shit out of me when I was 6 years old.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    like Murray Hill shit

• Lol @ Brooklyn

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    FREE WHITESNAKE LP WITH THE PURCHASE OF TWO KOMBUCHA BOTTLES!!!!!!!!!

• I'd line up to wash down that cashew mylk with some dollar bin Herbie Hancock cutouts

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    my brain hurts just thinking about this

a few years ago they found new strains of venereal disease in the gowanus creek

YAY LETS PUT THE STORE RIGHT ON TOP OF TEH NEW VD's

• kala said:

I'm saying. shit is a superfund site.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    whats wrong with whole foods selling records

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    kala said:

oh wait, this is the one they're opening on the Gowanus?

Some time ago I used to hear stories about a group of people who lived in a houseboat on the Gowanus, for some reason a lot of people I knew would end up at parties there. The city eventually told them to go dock their home elsewhere and some of my friends were a bit outraged that their buddies had been evicted, but I couldn't really sympathize. I figured the city had correctly kicked them out of there for health reasons but, no, they had to make way for a Whole Foods.

• Big_Stacks said:
    LaserWolf said:

Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    One of my earliest memories is having a grilled cheese sandwich and fries inside the cafe at Woolworths and my mom buying me a Smurfs record

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Cool. I can fill my growler and do some record shopping at the same place.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    kala said:

oh wait, this is the one they're opening on the Gowanus?

Some time ago I used to hear stories about a group of people who lived in a houseboat on the Gowanus, for some reason a lot of people I knew would end up at parties there. The city eventually told them to go dock their home elsewhere and some of my friends were a bit outraged that their buddies had been evicted, but I couldn't really sympathize. I figured the city had correctly kicked them out of there for health reasons but, no, they had to make way for a Whole Foods.

It was actually supposed to be built years ago... when they started out and were getting their EIS done, they dug into the ground and green water came up. Turns out that site had once been a factory complex which manufactured, among other things, radiators; therefore, heavy levels of toxins in the ground. Not sure if I'd trust buying food from a former hardcore pollution spot, even one that's (supposedly) been cleaned up. I don't personally shop at WF, but still...

On the other hand, maybe the toxins will kill the VD.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    whats wrong with whole foods selling records

Better yet, what's right about it?

Absolutely nothing.

• Come on Harv, they are just trying to be "respectful" of the community.

crabmongerfunk said:
    Come on Harv, they are just trying to be "respectful" of the community.

Like Starbucks selling cd's?

• Fred_Garvin said:

OR create some crazy mutant strains

Saucy Tweenbal said:
    Fred_Garvin said:

OR create some crazy mutant strains

It would be bad news if they pissed off the C.H.U.D.s though.

• HarveyCanal said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Come on Harv, they are just trying to be "respectful" of the community.

Like Starbucks selling cd's?

except that starbucks did it in a credible way that spoke to to the tastes and desires of a wide swath of their clientele. this whole foods venture into records smacks of pure exploitation and i am going to guess that anyone who actually buys records will feel supremely patronized by it. 180g fleetwood mac rumours for 35 plus tax, that sort of thing..

if they opened up a real, curated record boutique in the store that could actually stand a chance of being something other than a half-hearted concession to some fashion trend ("a wall adorned with records!") that could be a clever move to draw in certain customers who might not otherwise shop for groceries there....

Those insanely priced reissues are already all over, even in some quality record stores.

I just don't get the link between grocery shopping and record shopping like that...unless maybe the records are kept in the condom aisle.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I just don't get the link between grocery shopping and record shopping like that...unless maybe the records are kept in the condom aisle.

As with CDs in Starbucks, this seems like more of an impulse buy thing. Like the magazines by the checkout at most grocery/drug stores. Records might be a nice fit because of the clientele? (I wouldn't know who's in that hood.)

And 95% of people shopping at WF are going to be well-heeled. So impulse buying a $35 anything doesn't seem that strange.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I think some of Whole Food's customers will like these records. For someone who doesn't know shit, $35 for a horrible reissue which they can pull out at their party and wack on will seem like a pretty decent buy. I can't imagine the person who buys loads of them and has a collection, I doubt they exist.

If the types of records which will be sold in Whole Foods and Urban Outfitters were confined to those shops I'd be happy. It's way worse having them in record shops.

• When my old iPod died on the 5 to LA and I was able to cop a Stevie Wonder CD with my coffee in the middle of nowhere I was definitely not mad at Starbucks.