Holiday Vegetarian Recipes

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
Im scheduled to cook for a bunch of record heads this month.
My buddy wants me to get down, but shes on some its not easy bein' green steez.

Thats all to the good, so i can get my game on.

i havent done any heavy cookbook research yet, but i was lookin at a a veggie gumbo.

usually the base stock in gumbo would be chicken, but i would either do a v stock or a fishhead stock and add to that.

Whatever....any suggestions.......AND PAUSE ON THE KALE....pleez.

4 to 6 cats eatin and takin turns on tha tables.....while i get rockin in her new kitchen/home.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:

usually the base stock in gumbo would be chicken, but i would either do a v stock or a fishhead stock and add to that.

fish stock would make it non-vegetarian.

two dishes I always make for big/grazing for hours dinners that even meat eaters like are

carrots tossed with either olive oil or sesame oil, salt&pepper; roasted uncovered in the oven
    (if you go with sesame oil, grate fresh ginger on top when you take the carrots out of the oven)

roasted beets peeled, cooled and sliced
    hearts of palm
    italian parsley
    olive oil/red wine
    salt&pepper;

roasted breadfruit

if your people are adventurous and can handle bitter food, curried kerala

mashed yams

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Fish head stock.........Pause on the kale

You need to get past both those if you are serious.

Make veggie chili instead of gumbo. Gumbo is basically seafood chili anyhow. You can buy veggie sausage in a tube and fry it up like ground beef, then add tomato paste, beans and spices. You can even get the tofurky sausage and have "sausage" chunks in the chili.

Make a tofurky. Make garlic mash potatoes. Make(ahem) kale, mushroom, garlic and red onion fried up in a pan. This is more holiday than gumbo.

Brussel sprouts, acorn squash, asparagus, onion and garlic with a little salt and pepper and olive oil mix good and roasted in the oven. Easy and good. Have fake chicken or tofurky on the side.

Basically take any recipe, remove the fish heads and insert fake meat and you'll be fine. Or forget the fake meat and add a salad or some other side to fill the plate.

Mashed yams are the shiznit! Just be sure you buy yams and not sweet potatoes. There is a difference. You can even mix in a little corn once they are mashed and it's good also. Better to have the corn on the side just in case someone doesn't like them mixed.

I wouldn't recommend breadfruit for a beginner who was ready to put fish heads in stuff.

volumen said:

Make veggie chili instead of gumbo. You can buy veggie sausage in a tube and fry it up like ground beef, then add tomato paste, beans and spices. You can even get the tofurky sausage and have "sausage" chunks in the chili.

or fake ground round. I make killer veg chili and sloppy joes with this stuff. Only product I use off this brand.

do not buy the flavoured types though. Buy "original" and season as required.

there are vegetarians, etc. who use a lot of meat substitutes, I'm not one of them. this fake ground round is good for making stuff that much more hearty imo

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    General rule is to try not to make a meat dish with out meat, or fake meat.

Instead make a really good vegetarian dish.

For the holidays start with squash recipes.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    chili is for children or some lunch shit.

i love kale but im trying to avoid the veggie of the year robotics.

ive made fish head stock plenty of times....not an issue.

and meat substitutes is 80s.

oh brother

I'm going to assume you mean you have made fish head stock plenty of times for these people and they are OK with it. Meaning they are not vegetarian and seafood/fish dishes are also an option.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bassie said:
    oh brother

I'm going to assume you mean you have made fish head stock plenty of times for these people and they are OK with it. Meaning they are not vegetarian and seafood/fish dishes are also an option.

Oh sister

ive never made anything for these folks, but shes does eat fish iirc.

im lookin at a veggie stew thats not supermarket tofurky.

ill see what she suggests and take it from there.

batmon said:
    bassie said:
    oh brother

Oh sister

ive never made anything for these folks, but shes does eat fish iirc.

im lookin at a veggie stew thats not supermarket tofurky.

ill see what she suggests and take it from there.

Well be rude and sure we will want to help. If she eats fish then she's not a vegetarian so just make your Gumbo full of seafood and be done with it. We gave you plenty of heathy homemade options with a possible side of fake meat but your too good for that. Enjoy your fish heads.

• I've got this great vegetarian recipe that involves bacon, fish heads and filet mignon. It is to die for.

• sanctimonious guy eats veggie sausage in a tube.

ribollita is a tuscan soup with beans, savoy cabbage, kale (deal with it), and a little tomato. you get lots of aromatics going and stew the vegetables all the way down in their own juices, with the cooking liquid from the beans / water or vegetable stock, and rinds from reggiano cheese. at the end you toss in big chunks of bread toasted in olive oil, then serve it with some spicy green legit cold-press oil on top. hearty, rustic, old world food. vegetarian because it's supposed to be that way, and totally delicious.

the fake meat game is some absolute bush league shit.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Will Vegans cook up some red meat to accommodate their non-Vegan dinner guests?

Being individuals, it depends on the vegan.

I only eat seafood and my house still smells like the three trays of chicken that got cooked in my kitchen from Saturday's chicken&waffle; party. I won't (and don't know how to) cook it, but you are welcome to either bring it or make it yourself.

Everyone is different with their reasons why they don't eat meat.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Gumbo Z'Herbs is usually made with ham hocks.

Here's a basic vegetarian recipe...

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/emerils-gumbo-zherbes-recipe.htm

Seems like I've made a sweet potato gumbo with chicken stock before. But fish/shrimp stock would be even better.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Good call with Brussels sprouts. Halve them, roast them and they go good with a balsamic/mustard sauce ( no yellow )

Not sure why all the fish stock hatt

Veg hoppin John can be good. Make rice with veg stock and saffron. Add saut??ed onion and red bell then spike with cumin, celery salt, cayenne, and parsley

Do these folks do dairy?

I like cheese and crackers with beet matchsticks, minced caper and shallot

If they eat seafood the gumbo would be great

jjfad027 said:

I love fish-base soups and sauces, but it is out of place in a thread asking for vegetarian meal ideas.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    bassie said:
    jjfad027 said:

I love fish-base soups and sauces, but it is out of place in a thread asking for vegetarian meal ideas.

got it

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Glazed ham. The pineapple slices are vegetarian, and they taste like ham!

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I try to cook meatless as often as possible, but protein becomes an issue. My friend Terri says I need to start fucking with some buckwheat, but I don't know. The last time I made soba I took my eyes off of it for like a second while it was cooking and and it congealed into a glossy brown brain of solid starch.

My veggie soup game is pretty live, but again, I have a hard time making it stick. Plus, it gives farts that excite the feds.

I'm always squeezing my vegetarian friends for recipes, but they tend to fess on things like measurements--"Oh, you know, just a handful, or whatever..."--which is no help to a greenhorn such as myself. The absolute worst was this pleasant-seeming collegiate dude who, when I started writing down some patty recipe he was holding forth on, clammed up and started tut-tutting me on some "whatever happend to the oral tradition, maaaan?!"-type bullshit. Fucking hippies. I need to buy a cookbook or something.

james said:
    measurements--"Oh, you know, just a handful, or whatever..."

lmho - I am this person. I can't think of the last time I used a measuring cup (I don't bake, so....)

I'm at work now, but I wrote down a few recipes from my brother's GF's amazing cookbook collection this past summer (with measurements and everything!) that were quite nice. There was a really wonderful green vegetables ragout recipe that I'll write out here in the next evening or so.

I can understand wanting an actual physical book, but there are some amazing recipes blogs out there.

http://www.thekitchn.com/eating-vegetarian-5-cooking-blogs-to-check-out-now-188840

http://iranstories.com/vegetarian-taste-of-iran/
    Warning - she provides no measurements lol

edit - this whole site kicks ass, and his vegetarian section is no exception
    http://caribbeanpot.com/

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    don't worry about your protein intake. the issue is exaggerated.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    This here is some Vaguely Asian Comfort Food for vegetarians:

1. Boil some buckwheat soba noodles and then put them in the fridge to cool off

2. Marinate slices of firm tofu in tandoori and yogurt (you can use oil instead of yogurt for vegans) and pan fry on both sides until you start to get a bit of blackened crust forming

3. Cut thin slices of red pepper and cucumber and shaved carrot

4. Mix the noodles, veggies and tofu with a dressing made out of:
    Tahini (relatively more in proportion)
    Soy sauce
    Miso (relatively less in proportion)
    Bit of water
    Bit of shredded ginger
    Touch of honey

5. Top with fresh cilantro and roasted sesame seeds and serve

mmmmmm cold soba salad with lemon tamari sesame oil dressing with grated ginger, green onions, cucumbers and seaweed

also - you can either make your own jerk paste or go quick with Walkerswood and toss tofu or potatoes or sweet potatoes and roast in the oven.

james said:
    I try to cook meatless as often as possible, but protein becomes an issue. My friend Terri says I need to start fucking with some buckwheat, but I don't know. The last time I made soba I took my eyes off of it for like a second while it was cooking and and it congealed into a glossy brown brain of solid starch.

My veggie soup game is pretty live, but again, I have a hard time making it stick. Plus, it gives farts that excite the feds.

I'm always squeezing my vegetarian friends for recipes, but they tend to fess on things like measurements--"Oh, you know, just a handful, or whatever..."--which is no help to a greenhorn such as myself. The absolute worst was this pleasant-seeming collegiate dude who, when I started writing down some patty recipe he was holding forth on, clammed up and started tut-tutting me on some "whatever happend to the oral tradition, maaaan?!"-type bullshit. Fucking hippies. I need to buy a cookbook or something.

Briskly apply one half of a pair of sweaty palms to one half of a pair of rosy cheeks, preferably your own. Repeat as necessary.

bassie said:
    make your own jerk paste.

Hey now.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    bassie said:
    mmmmmm cold soba salad with lemon tamari sesame oil dressing with grated ginger, green onions, cucumbers and seaweed

sweet! gonna try that variation - sounds delicious.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    bassie said:
    http://iranstories.com/vegetarian-taste-of-iran/
    Warning - she provides no measurements lol
    I am nonetheless feeling the inadvertent poeticism of her typos: "grinned walnuts," "a glove of garlic," etc.

Thank you very much for these--I will check them all out.

And it's not that I'm hung up on having a physical book--online stuff is fine--so much as it's that I'm new enough to vegetarian stuff that I'm not real comfortable winging it just yet. Trust me when I say that I and the people I'm cooking for will benefit greatly from my having actual directions and amounts. There are spheres of cooking in which I'm versed enough to play it loose, but on the vegetarian tip (that should be the name of a community-access tv show), my attempts at improvising tend to have a certain retrograde, sad-bachelor quality.

A couple years ago I tried to "throw together" some chickpea/tomato-based thing, and we ended up with three nights' worth of pink-tinged vegetal flop that tasted like desperation and bad summer jobs. And parsley. Lots and lots of parsley. I think I ended up dumping it in the compost after the first night.

NEVER AGAIN.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    A good veggie lasagna might be a good option for you. It makes a lot of food and is filling.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    billbradley said:
    A good veggie lasagna might be a good option for you. It makes a lot of food and is filling.

Spinach lasagna is the jam.