When clavinet ruled the dancefloors

Thomas1981Thomas1981 16 Posts
edited November 2013 in Strut Central
I want to highlight an instrument that was widely used in 70's dance music: the clavinet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clavinet
just a fraction of monster tracks at the end of the wikipedia page.
I just can't get enough of that stuff! It's one of the greatest keys instrument next to the rhodes and the classic piano. Just hits the spot for me. Who's with me? Who's not?
Let's bring together the best examples here. I'll get us started with a couple classics and lesser known tracks.

peace

Thomas a.k.a. DJ Dism

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• not dancefloor but heavy on the clav.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Always liked this one.

This, too.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    as much as I love the clavinet, i have always loved when producers put the clav a little behind everything else over it being in the lead

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    the_dL said:
    as much as I love the clavinet, i have always loved when producers put the clav a little behind everything else over it being in the lead
    It's value is more as a funky percussive underpinning than a melodic device. It's like the key board's bass drum.

• Works both ways imho,
    for example when stevie wonder wears it out on superstition it just makes people move. It's an integral part of the sound of the 70's. Always thought it was kind of a step back when it got pushed away by synths in the 80's. Although i understand that music needs to evolve and when new possibilities open up, musicians explore it.

You might I have noticed I like disco funk so I have to add live it up by the isley brothers., 3 minutes in it starts building like crazy! Keep on strutting!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here's that joint:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• One of my favorite instruments! So much so that I bought one and I don't even play keys. I have a "C" model that has been modded with a "D" keyboard so the keys are touch sensitive.

Some of the best:

Ultrafunk - Funky Al

Johnny Lewis Quartet - Cissy Strut

Ramsey Lewis - Kufanya Mapenzi (Making Love)

Alan Parker - Crater (MUSIC DE WOLFE)

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    The first few times I saw this thread I always read "When clavinet ruined the dancefloor". Whatever.

EL COCO - LET'S GET IT TOGETHER

DARWINS THEORY - FUNKY SOUNDS

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    The best Clavinet album for me is There's A Riot Goin On

Particularly stuff like Just Like A Baby

I.e when the clav is just used to play normal piano lines/chords, not the over the top funk comping percussive thing

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts

Electrode said:

Excellent example!

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Gregory James Edition - Grandma Heavy
    Mystic Moods - Cosmic Sea