Bambaataa's Crates!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I want to see the sorting.
    I might swing by on a hopefully quiet type day. On some 11am shit.

I anticipate Zulu goofballs mixed w/ after-school programmers.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    batmon said:

You too early mon!

"noon to 5 p.m. on business days"

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    batmon said:

You too early mon!

"noon to 5 p.m. on business days"

The gall to call noon-to-five hours business days.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Minimum Wage - Rock 'N Roll

so does this record exist?

• skullsnapsskullsnaps 138 Posts
    Not too far from my house, I'll definitely stop by

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    SIRUS said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_BusBoys#Minimum_Wage_Rock_.26_Roll

was this not the track he was referring to?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    wasn't sure. it's listed in the mag as song, then artist's name.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    SIRUS said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_BusBoys#Minimum_Wage_Rock_.26_Roll

was this not the track he was referring to?

Yeah, I think that all the track/artist name anomolies in that Bambaataa's essential breaks list were addressed. That's definitely one of them.

• for what it's worth, this is in the back room of a large summer group show, and basically amounts to about 50 white bags unlimited LP boxes stacked on rented folding tables. they dispensed with the "live cataloging" aspect. you can look through the records. it's dire. no doubt 12"s and AV8 promos and shit. there's some ok stuff sprinkled in too. (granted, i looked for all of 3 minutes, but it's fairly obvious this is not his "collection.") as a storage unit coup de grace, it's pretty hilarious. if you want to look through some DJs storage unit, you'd be better off going through one where the records are for sale.

• ^^^ "AV8"s ha...

It seemed to good to be true. Figures the actual priceless, beat up OG breaks, are off the table. Oh well, hiphop history + acadamia hype makes for good fodder.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    From Edan's FB page:

"Had the privilege of dee-jaying with Bambaataa's records today at the public archiving taking place at the Gavin Brown gallery... Highlights include cutting up Bam's copies of the Talking Heads' 'Once In A Lifetime' 12" and dropping the needle on a record with no cover and blacked-out/duct-taped labels only to realize the sh*t was two copies of the S.O.U.L. 'What Is It' LP... Cut up the 'Burning Spear' joint then flipped the record over and cut up the 'Soul' joint... Was getting busy with blacked-out, taped-the-fuck-up copies of the Truck Turner 'Breakthrough' joint and all that... Cutting up Warren Zevon and Pat Travers LP's with 'Zulu Nation Sure Shot' stickers covering up the labels and sh*t... Unreal... All my NY-based record-loving brethren/sistren need to try and get over there and have a look (by Friday) if you have the chance..."

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    bennyboy said:
    Pat Travers

Really?

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    ITS WHAT HE SAID, DOC.

1980's Pat Travers Band LP apparently, acc to Ego Trip. Crash & Burn?

• Who is this Bombotta guy? He actually played/plays his records? :bug:

My fingers can only touch NM or better.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    bennyboy said:
    From Edan's FB page:

"Had the privilege of dee-jaying with Bambaataa's records today at the public archiving taking place at the Gavin Brown gallery... Highlights include cutting up Bam's copies of the Talking Heads' 'Once In A Lifetime' 12" and dropping the needle on a record with no cover and blacked-out/duct-taped labels only to realize the sh*t was two copies of the S.O.U.L. 'What Is It' LP... Cut up the 'Burning Spear' joint then flipped the record over and cut up the 'Soul' joint... Was getting busy with blacked-out, taped-the-fuck-up copies of the Truck Turner 'Breakthrough' joint and all that... Cutting up Warren Zevon and Pat Travers LP's with 'Zulu Nation Sure Shot' stickers covering up the labels and sh*t... Unreal... All my NY-based record-loving brethren/sistren need to try and get over there and have a look (by Friday) if you have the chance..."

I was there yesterday and left around 2:30, looks like Edan swung through not long after I left.

There were some cool artifacts in there (like a Syl Johnson "Different Strokes" 45 glued to a beat up Soul Train album), stuff you'd expect from Bam (beat up Kraftwerk and JB records) and some randomness (George Thorogood doubles?). I'm sure these are nowhere near the jewels of his collection, but it was cool to see all of his markings/notes/stickering.

• "Had the privilege of dee-jaying with Bambaataa's records today at the public archiving taking place at the Gavin Brown gallery... Highlights include cutting up Bam's copies of the Talking Heads' 'Once In A Lifetime' 12" and dropping the needle on a record with no cover and blacked-out/duct-taped labels only to realize the sh*t was two copies of the S.O.U.L. 'What Is It' LP... Cut up the 'Burning Spear' joint then flipped the record over and cut up the 'Soul' joint... Was getting busy with blacked-out, taped-the-fuck-up copies of the Truck Turner 'Breakthrough' joint and all that... Cutting up Warren Zevon and Pat Travers LP's with 'Zulu Nation Sure Shot' stickers covering up the labels and sh*t... Unreal... All my NY-based record-loving brethren/sistren need to try and get over there and have a look (by Friday) if you have the chance..."

^^ this is what I talking about!
    Blacked out labels! Glued on 45's!