Bob Marley Quotes

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited June 2013 in Strut Central
This week I am seeing Bob Marley "quotes" everywhere.

Bumper stickers, facebook, cute cat posters can't be far behind.

Thing is the quotes are all platitudes, like, Before you can love another you most love yourself. Or some such nonsense.
I doubt these are actual Marley quotes.

Here is one.

Unless I am wrong this is reworded from Compared To What

Was Marley really that banal and unoriginal?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    You need us to tell you what Bob Marley was like?

If so, you should totally check out this one album called Legend.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I need you to tell me what he was not like.

He was slow-killed by the CIA.

Yes, the CIA has never ever interfered with Caribbean politics. To think that such upstanding citizens would off a weed-advocating celebrity that was bringing oppositional political parties together, even if just for a photo op, is just ludicrous beyond all belief.

Don't forget the Bay of Pigs which of course never happened.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Interweb classics...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I believe it was Bob Marley who said, "Puff puff give, motherfucker! You're fuckin' up the rotation!"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    dem know it, but dem can't do it

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    I work for one of those jillion dollar print manufacturers and every time our copier jams this is what we use, people don't find this funny at all...but there is sumthin hilarious about it all...

I hope you like jammin' too

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    He was slow-killed by the CIA.

Sure. And at their secret meetings the Illuminati still get high by eating jerky made from his muscles.

Gary Busey actually strikes me as the kind of guy who might not have a problem with eating human jerky.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Horseleech said:

seriously tho i hate when people throw dirt on bobs name...

My former girlfriend likes Bob Marley's music just fine, but hates him as a person for being a lifetime piece of shit to women. And I found myself having a hard time arguing against that perspective.

HarveyCanal said:
    My former girlfriend likes Bob Marley's music just fine, but hates him as a person for being a lifetime piece of shit to women. And I found myself having a hard time arguing against that perspective.

She sounds like a pain in the ass dude. Totally pointless assessment to make.

bw

LEAVE MARLEY ALONE

staxwax said:
    HarveyCanal said:

She sounds like a pain in the ass dude. Totally pointless assessment to make.

bw

LEAVE MARLEY ALONE

Actually she's been about the most reasonable woman I have ever been with. But yeah, how pointless for a woman to stick up for women.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    At the very least, Bob Marley >>>>> Bob Dylan.

So there's that.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    skel said:

Very funny.

Let me guess: in your PMG, the fact that Marley covered a Dylan song means BD>BM.

In my PMG, the couple minutes of Jamming >>> the whole of BD creative output multiplied by the supposed (and irrelevant) influence of the man on other artistes all to the power of the total universe of BD dick-riders.

IMHO of course.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    skel said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    skel said:

Very funny.

Let me guess: in your PMG, the fact that Marley covered a Dylan song means BD>BM.

In my PMG, the couple minutes of Jamming >>> the whole of BD creative output multiplied by the supposed (and irrelevant) influence of the man on other artistes all to the power of the total universe of BD dick-riders.

IMHO of course.
    couldn't agree more.

Agreed, and It's always been my contention that Dylan is a solid and influential songwriter, but that his songwriting far outstrips the remainder of his musical abilities, i.e. he's a horrible singer and an unimpressive guitarist.

The vast majority of musicians who have done Dylan covers (excluding random coffeeshop performers and the like... I'm referring to established, known musicians here) have done versions far better than his. There are exceptions, like the GnR version of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door".

To this day, one of the worst musical performances I've ever seen was the one he gave on David Letterman's 10th anniversary special. He actually mumbled the entirety of "Like a Rolling Stone". Anyone seeing that, who didn't know the song, would have assumed it didn't have actual words.

Thymebomb13 said:
    Fred_Garvin said:
    The vast majority of musicians who have done Dylan covers (excluding random coffeeshop performers and the like... I'm referring to established, known musicians here) have done versions far better than his. There are exceptions, like the GnR version of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door".

The "vast majority" of people who offer up uninformed opinions under the cover of phrases like "vast majority" are talking out of their asses.

IMHO of course.

So was it the fact that I didn't qualify the statement by adding IMHO, as you did?

I thought it was implied that this was an opinion-based statement, and not a declaration of unyielding fact. I have good friends who are big Dylan fans and would strongly disagree with what I wrote, and that's OK.

If you are one too, no problem... but wouldn't it have made more sense to state why you think I'm wrong, or asked how I came to that conclusion, instead of posing as the uninformed opinion police? I'm not sure how that qualifies any less as talking out of one's ass than what I wrote.

Thymebomb13 said:
    sucks almost as hard as you suck Marley's decomposed dick.

IMHO of course.

HEY!

:puto:

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Fred_Garvin said:
    Agreed, and It's always been my contention that Dylan is a solid and influential songwriter, but that his songwriting far outstrips the remainder of his musical abilities, i.e. he's a horrible singer and an unimpressive guitarist.

To this day, one of the worst musical performances I've ever seen was the one he gave on David Letterman's 10th anniversary special. He actually mumbled the entirety of "Like a Rolling Stone". Anyone seeing that, who didn't know the song, would have assumed it didn't have actual words.

Yeah, seen him a couple of times and he sounded just like a fat mosquito.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The Wailers version is great.
    They completely rewrote the lyrics and melody of the verse.

Like most Dylan covers it is better than the original.

I have no idea who rewrote the lyrics, no reason to think it was Marley. Could have been Tosh or Bunny.

b/w

Some people don't have the intellectual capacity to defend their opinions so they resort to insults.

Thymebomb13 said:

My issue is with your use of the phrase "vast majority," which you can't (and didn't) support and is the sort of phrase generally used by people who can't support what they're saying.

And given how many incredibly awful Dylan covers there are out there in the world, what you're saying - even if you limit it to "established, known musicians" - is just wrong.

IMHO... my use of which was prompted by Skel's post, if you were following along.

Shitty Dylan Cover By Established, Known Musician #1 (How many more do you want?):

Did I say that most Dylan covers aren't shitty, or did I say that they sound better than Dylan? There's a difference.

That Bryan Ferry is pretty ridiculous, BTW. I hadn't heard that one yet.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i remember when luck raged hard on me when i said i couldn't name a single dylan song
    still can't

• Thymebomb13 said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Some people don't have the intellectual capacity to defend their opinions so they resort to insults.

Oh the irony...

Thymebomb = Moelarryandjesus = grade "a" internet troll

https://www.google.ca/search?q=moelarryandjesus&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a#q=moelarryandjesus+troll&client=firefox-a&hs=n7I&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&ei=MEGuUYSOH4qqyAHI1oHYAg&start=0&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=4465509ccdecfe15&biw=1366&bih=593

Worst internet user ever!