Saafir the Saucee Nomad

2»

Comments

• parenparen 537 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    that line is deeper that it lets on and the history behind it would blow peoples' minds.

what do you mean

knew something was fishy

better than wishy washy or topsy turvy.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    So I can't dilate and show that I'm bigger Than that

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    Saafir is so fuckin funny and off the wall.
    "you probably own no microphones at your home. your blood has no bones" type ridiculousness. at the beginning of one verse, he lets out a sigh/grumble sounding like its a chore destorying hiero crew members, like taking out the garbage

I cracked up when he went off on
    "live with mom and dad
    You grew up with wing-dings named Buffy and Brad
    You used to talk like this: 'Hey, that's rad!
    Let's go surfing!'"

And, of course, the ultimate dismissal of Tajai: "You pencil-necked, piss-colored Gumby, you can't fuck with me!"

• Saafir will forever in my book be responsible for putting together three words, alone, just words, but together a magically descriptive adjective that still graces my lexicon:

RATTLESNAKE TARNISH BOOT

Saafir appreciation thread.

• WELL THEY CALLLL ME THE WEST COAST COWBOOOOYYYY....

Someone did us the favor of isolating Saafir's verse from Key Kool's song...

Wish the Just Riden remix was still on youtube, because that is my shit right there.

• HarveyCanal said:

my shit right there.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

THICK BODY HOLLEY CARBURETOR

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Underappreciated Saafir verse on this one:

When he'd guest, he was always put on last, as who would dare go on after him...

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

^^^^^THIS IS A GREAT RECORD. This track, along with the Vinyl Re-animators remix on the flip - oh man.

• Back in 1996 (right?), jdeez and tilito and I drove from Austin to Houston to see Saafir at some little-ass club. After the show, we hung out and talked to Saafir for a minute. He was pretty agitated; the show hadn't been promoted very well and there were probably only about 40 people there, tops. But I wasn't to be deterred from asking him the super important question I'd been wanting to ask him for two years: "What is an elf platter?"

He turned to me with a disgusted look, held his thumb and forefinger about half an inch apart, and said, "Little shit."

I left feeling very Buffy and Brad.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    "Sonny, why you look so mean? It's like, baby, that's life"

• A very quotable album.

It's incredibly unique because of his flow and also jay-z's production, which to me is very west coast but done in a east coast style. It's not like anything else. I guess it's Oakland through an SP1200 style. I don't really know how to describe it, but I love it. I bought the cd when it came out and still listen to it with some regularity.

Can u Feel Me is my shit. I love that beat and he matches it perfectly.

• Always wondered how this came to be:

Also:

Westbound lick, the town shit / give me a pound shit, give it player status then smash into your hideout / the knock on me on ya block, foley on a come-up / 'til the sun's up gettin' this paid, another Whorida escapade as the greatest sideshow on earth was given birth in the town, bitch!

• cowards get infected by 5-0
    can't feel nothing but cool, calm and collected when I ride, though

also, it's Saani :P

• My computer is in the able hands of Apple's geniuses at the moment, but when I get it back I'll be happy to post the alternate mix I have of Boxcar Sessions, which is from a pre-release Qwest label cassette tape.

Also, there's this demo tape:

http://12manrambotapes.blogspot.com/2012/12/saafir-saucy-nomad-demo-oakland-92.html

Ah, where "stuck with your foot in your mouth disease" comes from. Had never heard that before.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    Back in 1996 (right?), jdeez and tilito and I drove from Austin to Houston to see Saafir at some little-ass club. After the show, we hung out and talked to Saafir for a minute. He was pretty agitated; the show hadn't been promoted very well and there were probably only about 40 people there, tops. But I wasn't to be deterred from asking him the super important question I'd been wanting to ask him for two years: "What is an elf platter?"

He turned to me with a disgusted look, held his thumb and forefinger about half an inch apart, and said, "Little shit."

I left feeling very Buffy and Brad.

couple of things - I dj'd for Saafir on KVRX while he was freestyling on tilito's show. I mixed in an Outkast instrumental and he went off in a rhyme about how i sucked as a dj and had no selection skills. Being from the south, I disagreed, but dude was pretty big and hella intimidating. i changed the record and didn't play southern records after that.

Second, the Whoridas were BY FAR the most hilarious and fun dudes to hang out with.

This is us BITD while they were on Southpaw. Good times. Town Shit. With Jlee, Empanadamn, Tilito and my man Race Boyer.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    When those Mac cats are done, post that ish. Damn... I wanna peep that.

• jdeez said:

Second, the Whoridas were BY FAR the most hilarious and fun dudes to hang out with.

yes Mr. Taylor is among the funnier rappeurs I've ever met. king saan scared me though.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    That demo tape is dope.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    I used to have this radio show tape with Saafir freestyling, chewing Souls Of Mischief.

"punky brewster sweaters and skateboards"