My city just simultaneously entered and left the 21st century

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
Something that should have happened a LONG time ago finally happened in Memphis. Our three parks named after Confederate shit have been renamed. The most offensive of these parks was Forrest park, named after Nathan Bedford Forrest. 'Ol Nate was the first Grand Wizard of the KKK, he was a Millionaire Slave trader, barely literate and a Confederate General. There is a large statue of him on a horse in the center and he is buried in the base. I have always said if the birds stop shitting on his statue, I'll start. It was renamed Health Sciences Park because the UT Medical School is across the street. The other 2, Confederate Park and Jefferson Davis park were renamed as well. I am not sure what they were renamed. Finally! We do not need these parks for the same reason Berlin doesn't need a Hitler park.

Well now there is a shitstorm of protest from your standard racist dipshits, the Sons of the Confederacy and other idiots with no concept of history. The comments I have read about it are "We need to rename MLK park to even the playing field" and countless justifications for slavery because "it was really good thing, because without it, the "blacks" would still be in Africa and wouldn't have the great freedoms of America." "History, Heritage, blah, blah, blah" It has really stirred up some shit and the white whine is getting louder. Protests are planned, the Sons of the Confederacy apparently have some plans. I don't know what is going to happen, but I want to buy a bunch of little Confederate flags, attend one of these rallies and literally wipe my ass with the flags in view of everyone. My wife doesnt think it is a good idea to do this. It isn't...but man, I REALLY wanna do it.

So in an effort to become a modern city, we are going to have pro-confederate rallies now like it is 1860. Fuck.

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    justifications for slavery because "it was really good thing, because without it, the "blacks" would still be in Africa and wouldn't have the great freedoms of America."

Man, that fuckin' bullshit. And don't forget its dumbfuck cousin, "We want a shitload of credit for freeing the slaves, but we accept none of the blame for enslaving them in the first place."

• just remind them that the confederacy is 0-1 in wars.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts

The Confederate flag should be shat on, but you don't want it to have contact with your ass. That would be an insult to your own ass.

I laughed really, really hard when I read this.

Totally agree with the sentiments shared over this issue.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I remember when the KKK held a rally in downtown Manhattan. There were way more people there to protest it than there were dudes in white sheets. The whole thing became a huge circus, in the end it would've been better if no one had paid them any attention. If they're stupid enough to come out in public to express their paleolithic world-view, so be it. Give them enough rope to hang themselves with, as they say.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I remember when the KKK held a rally in downtown Manhattan. There were way more people there to protest it than there were dudes in white sheets. The whole thing became a huge circus, in the end it would've been better if no one had paid them any attention. If they're stupid enough to come out in public to express their paleolithic world-view, so be it. Give them enough rope to hang themselves with, as they say.
    is it more effective to ignore it completely or go on soulstrut and whine about it?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Here we go.......

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Every so often you're going to have to deal with shit in your home town that rapes your faith in humanity. Life's a bitch...get some good chron', a good book, turn off the tv...and let that shit run its course.

If you feel unavoidably compelled to get involved...I'd suggest finding a few capable people to hack the bejesus out of the inevitable myriad of shitty web sites that will be spouting their propaganda...make their sites a mirror to the wikipedia entries of your choice (Harriet Tubman, Shirley Chisolm, etc.)...prank call them faking like your from the news and get tape of them sounding like ignorant fucks and send that out to the masses...get creative.

batmon said:
    Here we go.......

I read this in the 'Children's Story' voice....and now that track is going to be stuck in my head all morning.

PatrickCrazy said:
    is it more effective to ignore it completely or go on soulstrut and whine about it?

:comedy_gold:

• A post is hidden because PatrickCrazy is being ignored.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    just remind them that the confederacy is 0-1 in wars.

SCOREBOARD, BITCHES

• DB_Cooper said:
    vintageinfants said:

SCOREBOARD, BITCHES

the smile on the dude on the right is priceless.

that said however, fuck Ole Miss

JectWon said:
    batmon said:
    Here we go.......

I read this in the 'Children's Story' voice....and now that track is going to be stuck in my head all morning.

ha...thats how i wrote it....

Graemlin Pleez!!!!!

• The_Hook_Up said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    vintageinfants said:

SCOREBOARD, BITCHES

the smile on the dude on the right is priceless.

i LOVE this guy...... to ME? this is the greatest ncaa pundit ever.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

• DB_Cooper said:
    vintageinfants said:

Indeed

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

Was given an Ole Miss top and some other Oxford Mississippi t-shirts as 'ironic' souvenirs... one says Oxford, there's nowhere like it. I live in teh Oxford and work for teh University. It's all so clever.

To me it's just an institution with a name I can have fun with drawing out the Ooooooooooooolllllllllllllle Miss with as much Yosemite Sam as I can muster. What's the story? I'm guessing race politics?

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    vintageinfants said:

SCOREBOARD, BITCHES

OMG, that fat Joe Gibbs looking white dude who pops up out of his seat is SOOOO heated.

• Duderonomy said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Was given an Ole Miss top and some other Oxford Mississippi t-shirts as 'ironic' souvenirs... one says Oxford, there's nowhere like it. I live in teh Oxford and work for teh University. It's all so clever.

To me it's just an institution with a name I can have fun with drawing out the Ooooooooooooolllllllllllllle Miss with as much Yosemite Sam as I can muster. What's the story? I'm guessing race politics?

That and they are the University of Memphis' biggest rivals...so for real reasons and bullshit sport reasons.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Duderonomy said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

That and they are the University of Memphis' biggest rivals...so for real reasons and bullshit sport reasons.

OK, so probably safe enough to wear over here, but NAGL when stateside. I do like saying Oooooooolllle Miss though :lol:

• coquicoqui 42 Posts
    batmon said:
    Graemlin Pleez!!!!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

To me it's just an institution with a name I can have fun with drawing out the Ooooooooooooolllllllllllllle Miss with as much Foghorn Leghorn as I can muster. What's the story? I'm guessing race politics?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    coqui said:
    batmon said:
    Graemlin Pleez!!!!!

Welcome.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Coqui getting it DONE

coqui said:
    batmon said:
    Graemlin Pleez!!!!!

Could u alter the text so it reads like "Heeeere We Go...."

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:

S Brian Abrutyn going IN in the comments. It's too easy.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    From the comments (BRENT ASHLEY):
    Don't you liberals love to preach "diversity"? Love one another and respect differences and all those lofty goals you set for others? Until it goes against your thinking of how the world should be. Steps outside of the liberal bounds of decency. Then you become little more than a raving self important hypocrite.

I love how that was his first reaction to reading the article!

• MusicaDelAlma said:
    From the comments (BRENT ASHLEY):
    Don't you liberals love to preach "diversity"? Love one another and respect differences and all those lofty goals you set for others? Until it goes against your thinking of how the world should be. Steps outside of the liberal bounds of decency. Then you become little more than a raving self important hypocrite.

I love how that was his first reaction to reading the article!

That's his reaction to somebody's comment, not the article.

Prediction: 50 wackos show up to 'the biggest rally ever' and they are outnumbered 4 to 1 by counter-protesters.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    "The Tennessee area leader known as the "Exalted Cyclops"..."

aka the Eminent Prick

bassie said:
    "The Tennessee area leader known as the "Exalted Cyclops"..."

aka the Eminent Prick

what's up with the Dungeons & Dragons nomenclature they use? Hard to take anyone who call themselves "Grand Wizard" of anything seriously in a political debate.