80s appreesh

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
pls celebrate the 80s

was erica ehm completely naked in this clip? i'm going to assume so. she was awesome.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    ketan said:

bonus beat:

SH!T YEAH

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Just a side note. I had a pretty big crush on Erica Ehm when I was a kid. She might have been older than me. But I still wanted to give her my Valentine's Day card I made in class...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

and....

• JroamJroam 257 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    neon maniacs looks cool. (did you see cabin in the woods? loved it.)

mario van peebles fav

this 14-hour mini-series about the civil rights era is amazing

lynch was on a tear

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Musically, I spent a lot of time disliking the '80s as it wasn't my generation (it was something to rebel against), and so much of the music in the UK was based around what was fairly primitive technology (lot of bands using the same Roland/Yamaha keyboard for music + beats, or plastic drum kits), but I've actually come to really appreciate the vibrancy and optimism of the best, and some of the worst excesses, of '80s pop - song craft was great back then. A lot of songs said things that artists are perhaps too cynical and po-mo for now (and a lot of terrible turds were also unleashed).

Underground-wise, I was dimly aware of reggae, hip-hop, house, and techno which laid the foundations for rave and the subsequent dance music explosion of the '90s that was my scene.

I seriously re-evaluated a lot of synth-heavy, bad-haircut wearing, era-of-excess-sweating pop from my childhood after dude's cover of Tears For Fears went to Number 1 in the charts just as Britain had been dragged into a war in Iraq that the entire country was against. It was a great protest vote.

Aside from music, the movies coming out of Hollywood were exceptional.
    Was never sold on the '80s fashion come-back though (could never get my legs into skinny jeans anyway), and defiantly wore my grunge-raver gear throughout.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I've been rewatching all the Miami Vice episodes lately and DAMN did they know what they were doing back then. Style AND substance in spades.

• 1986....greatest year for metal evar.

Slayer "Reign in Blood"
    Metallica "Master of Puppets"

Metal Blade and Combat Records were killing it.

Celtic Frost, Venom, Possessed, Voi Vod, Exodus were killing it as well.

We will never see metal reach a creative peak like that again.