Uncle LL in 2012 - new song

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central

I don't really know what to say...

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Clurb music. Poison to my ears.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Not surprised. He's been chasing the Club steez for a minute. I thought Headsprung was an early example of his Becky-Rap.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    wow this is bad...

• paint by numbers.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    2 Things:
    1) Shouldn't it be Ratchid/Rhaatid?
    2) Anyone know a woman named Lorraine under 50 years old?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I enjoy this:

LL was sick when he recorded, hence his voice.

• Isn't it just Uncle L instead of Uncle LL as in "Uncle L future of the funk......"

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Time for Uncle L to hang up the jersey. This isn't grown man rap approved. Also while it's cool he has Z-trip djing for him now I couldn't make it past 10 secs of that Baltimore club beat. He needs to holler at Marly Marl.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i think the allure of having that hit is too much for L. at his best he crossed over to all areas of rap but these days, well, y'know. at this point could he do a grown man rap album? would anybody care? he was always bigger (in the pop sense) than masta ase, sadat, etc. i think LL looks at that genre as several steps down.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    when was the last time LL mattered to y'all. for me it was the canibus battle. he had hits after that, which i didn't mind, but that was the last time he was 'vital' to the music imo.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    YNOT said:
    Baltimore club beat.

Not every beat that loops up "Think" is a B-more club beat.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Ratchet is right.

While I understand there is a whole heap of make-believe in popular music, there has to be some semblance of context and continuity.
    Mr NCIS is not hanging with the ratchet chicks.
    These are just some tired ass lyrics about the same old boring archetype of a gold-digger hood chick that we've been hearing forever.

1/10 - 1 for the beat.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    this beat is pretty generic. doesn't do much to highlight LL at all.

• bassie said:
    Ratchet is right.

While I understand there is a whole heap of make-believe in popular music, there has to be some semblance of context and continuity.
    Mr NCIS is not hanging with the ratchet chicks.
    These are just some tired ass lyrics about the same old boring archetype of a gold-digger hood chick that we've been hearing forever.

1/10 - 1 for the beat.

what about the very idea that he is this superhuman ladies man, when in fact he's been (allegedly) happily married since the 90's? (he's not alone in this nonsense; many older, married rappers still rap about being players long after they've hung it up).

is the fake gangster thing any worse than the fake ladiesman thing?

both are fake.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I take it all with a massive grain of salt.

It is easy/easier to suspend belief when whatever the artist has going on at home, in their real life, etc. is not out there for all to see. This doesn't apply to LL.

Sometimes, I don't care - especially if the song sounds and feels good. Other times, it's a lot harder to see past and just ruins the whole experience - like this LL trainwreck and 99% of what Rick Ross does.

I love LL. I have the utmost respect for the guy. I just wish his music would reflect his age and his lifestyle instead of him trying to fit in the wit' da yoof. No one wants their grandpa trying to kick it with their friends.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    You know, I heard "Phenomenon" coming out of somewhere the other day (in 2012!--you gotta love Chicago, man), and that shit sounded all right.

I'll concede, though, that almost all of LL's problems with perspective can be seen in miniature in the fact that he would lace a late-nineties peak-period Hitmen-produced young-youths club banger with a reference to motherfucking Chappaquiddick.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    That works really well with your avatar.

Or really terribly, depending on how you look at it.

batmon said:

That's from an early 90's Disney compilation called Simply Mad About The Mouse.