Im Jay-Z'ed OUT.

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
With the Barclay Center being opened in Brooklyn for the Nets and him all over the new NBA 2K13 i cant escape this dude.

If i hear how much hes so involved with marketing and that shit im gonna puke.

My geek ass is gettin on line at midnight to cop the NBA 2K13.....Deluxe Edition.

I bet the menu music is gonna be all fuckin Jovah songs along with him talkin non stop as the commentator.

The last person to oversaturate shit like this was Fresh Prince circa Ali whatever.

Brand Backlash x 1000.

Barclays first Reggae show features Maxi Priest!

Comments

• Put on some Sinatra. "Live At The Sands" will cure what ails ya. Last time I checked Sinatra's albums were more common than Johav's.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    GatorToof said:
    Put on some Sinatra. "Live At The Sands" will cure what ails ya. Last time I checked Sinatra's albums were more common than Johav's.

I dont own any Sinatra and probably never will invest. And the New York song blares over the Yankee soundsystem since i was a kid.

Both New Yorks are "Epic" songs!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    was supposed to go to last night's show but 8pm start time is too late for me with work the next day :(

• Sorry, I'm a little miffed about the D.E.L.ete of the $1 thread.

Thanks for sharing.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    batmon said:
    I dont own any Sinatra and probably never will invest.

The "Sinatra x Jobim Collabo" is grown-folk fire.

Real Headz also got the Claus Ogerman charts to geek on.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Brooklyn Nets will never pan out to be a championship contender, and Jay-z's career as a fresh emcee is over....

People will buy because New Yorkers love hype.

• PatrickCrazy said:
    8pm start time is too late for me with work the next day :(

Color me stumped. What is it you do that precludes you from attending events after 8pm?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    8pm start time is too late for me with work the next day :(

Color me stumped. What is it you do that precludes you from attending events after 8pm?

His time zone is closer to Japan.
    Hawaiian Brian-R

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    batmon said:
    With the Barclay Center being opened in Brooklyn for the Nets and him all over the new NBA 2K13 i cant escape this dude.

If i hear how much hes so involved with marketing and that shit im gonna puke.

My geek ass is gettin on line at midnight to cop the NBA 2K13.....Deluxe Edition.

I bet the menu music is gonna be all fuckin Jovah songs along with him talkin non stop as the commentator.

The last person to oversaturate shit like this was Fresh Prince circa Ali whatever.

Brand Backlash x 1000.

Barclays first Reggae show features Maxi Priest!

"There's something exhausting about Jay-Z's ascension over these past few years.."

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/10/all-who-tried-to-kill-jigga-are-dead/263144/

• batmon said:
    GatorToof said:
    Put on some Sinatra. "Live At The Sands" will cure what ails ya. Last time I checked Sinatra's albums were more common than Johav's.

I dont own any Sinatra and probably never will invest. And the New York song blares over the Yankee soundsystem since i was a kid.

Th SF GIants have a "Frank Sinatra Tribute Night" at PacBell every yr. How fucking lame is that?

And I could never stand the Jay-Z NY song; it was always kinda pathetic seeing bunches of suburban Beckys *in California* belting out the chorus in unison; I suspect many have never been to NY. No matter your thoughts on NY (I happen to love NY), it's a blatantly NY-centric nationalist anthem. People with no connection to the city have no real business getting all excited about it IMO.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:
    GatorToof said:

Th SF GIants have a "Frank Sinatra Tribute Night" at PacBell every yr. How fucking lame is that?

And I could never stand the Jay-Z NY song; it was always kinda pathetic seeing bunches of suburban Beckys *in California* belting out the chorus in unison; I suspect many have never been to NY. No matter your thoughts on NY (I happen to love NY), it's a blatantly NY-centric nationalist anthem. People with no connection to the city have no real business getting all excited about it IMO.

I occasionally still hear it bumping out of passing cars in the Bronx. Real beaters sometimes, too. Now, I get the New York pride and all that, but if I were clearly struggling financially and scraping to get by in NYC, that would not be my go-to track. Unless I wanted to enjoy it ironically.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    is it true that dude actually owns only 1/15th of 1 percent of the Nets?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    JectWon said:

I can't remember if that's the exact amount, but yeah, it's some small fraction of 1 percent. His share is negligible, but they're pimping the hell out of it.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    JectWon said:

I can't remember if that's the exact amount, but yeah, it's some small fraction of 1 percent. His share is negligible, but they're pimping the hell out of it.

People say that like he only kicked in $50 or something.

• Herm said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    JectWon said:

People say that like he only kicked in $50 or something.

He should have just donated it. Probably would have gotten more props for donating "1/15th of 1%" than owning it.

• DJ_Enki said:
    JectWon said:

who's using who though?

One could argue that the majority owners are leveraging Jay's fame far in excess of what he's getting in return.

Then again his face is all over town, which some would say is all to the good for him.

Time will tell. I for one think he's teetering on the edge of overexposure, if not already fully over the cliff (see: Batmon).

The longterm utility of Jay-Z to the owners (associating an old established brand with [who old white people perceive to be] a young, hip face) vs. the longterm utility of the owners to Jay-Z (he gets to be the face of the franchise, but risks overexposure b/w associating his entire persona/brand with a losing team) may end up weighing in favor of the majority owners. I dunno.

• i haven't really followed the trajectory of his career that closely but it seems like the hype surrounding the birth of his daughter was defintiely the point of no return in terms of him being over-exposed...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    JectWon said:

Confirmed: His million-dollar buy-in amounts to one fifteenth of one percent.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Regardless of the size of his ownership stake, dude was instrumental in bringing an NBA team to Brooklyn. He should be commended for that. I celebrate this example of black excellence.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Welcome to the past dozen years or so.

phongone said:
    Regardless of the size of his ownership stake, dude was instrumental in bringing an NBA team to Brooklyn. He should be commended for that. I celebrate this example of black excellence.

Was he instrumental? Or did he get recuited by Ratner years after the planned on movin out of Jersey.

I really doubt he spearheaded the Nets relocation. I thought he hopped aboard after Ratner and them played Big bank take little bank with a "dead" section of Brook-Lyn.

And on the style level. The NBA was on some Black uniform shit ten years ago with Philly and NY embracing that shit.
    Miami adds a Black Heat uni, and Jay implements that shit for the main colors. Black on Black is some droll NY wackness.
    And ive already seen dudes rockin the baseball cap on the skreets.

Haterade Burp.

Haterade Burp.

Haterade Burp.

Haterade Burp.

Haterade Burp.

I can make a booga talk