Harping

YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
I wanted to ask this for ages but #53 made me finally do it:
My 8 year old has been playing the piano for a few years but has CONSISTENTLY for the last three years said what she really wants to play is the harp. No idea where the idea came from but it's unusual for kids to be so consistent over such a long time. But damn, harps dont come cheap and I dont really know what to expect musically. Apart from Dorothy, I can actually not think of any harp records in my collection. As a consequence, I have no idea what canon of harp standards she might have to work towards and what artists I should expose her to.
So, what is good in harping?

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    See if she likes Joanna Newsome. Apparently she has real skills, and a contemporary young.woman who is successful while making her own music could be a good role model.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    X2

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Celtic harps are relatively inexpensive.
    A slightly different instrument, but might be a good place for an 8yo to start.

A cora is a harp...

• Yeah, listen to Bjork and Joanna Newsome for a modern twist on the harp.

Harps can sound really nice. Imagine if she got really good and you had this tranquil strumming putting some major ease in your daiy soundtrack.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Colombian Harp prodigy:

:shreddin_it: X 1,000

• Options
    You may think I'm just a nut for saying this:
    Give them an allowance, maybe a lemonade stand, or get a paper route. Then tell them you will match their savings towards an educational purchase...

They already have a piano.

• Come on, just get him a harp, no strings attached!

• Not to harp on this, but buy him that instrument already!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    Colombian Harp prodigy:

Just put headphones on specifically to listen to this and HO. LEE. SHIT.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like face melted completely off LVLZ.

Edit* - wow. One of top 5 musical performances I've ever seen in my life. No words.

• Just dont promise anything, because if you don't end up buying the harp for him, he'll think of you as a lyre.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    StoneHands, three posts and still wrong gender.

Thanks to the others for recommendations.
    I did think of a Kora but i believe without the ciltural background (where tyo find a teacher) you'll fail.
    I will have to check the videos when I am back on urban / mainland soil as I am hanging on a faint signal somewhere in Sicily right now.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

Harps can sound really nice. Imagine if she got really good and you had this tranquil strumming putting some major ease in your daiy soundtrack.

Hmm, that sound tempting, doesn't it? Best thing would be to buy her sister a Hang drum and get them to play one after the other for maximum relaxation. Or even better: together. Surely that would be a New Age chart topper.
    But then that's another bloody expensive instrument...

• Yemsky said:
    StoneHands, three posts and still wrong gender.

I didn't look at your post more than once, since I was busy coming up with harp puns. A little sensitivity to that fact would be appreciated.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Don't buy a harp, rent it. Pretty much everyone does until they know what kind of instrument they really want/whether they want to persevere - 90% of the repertoire for an 8 year old will be classical and traditional but it's a good age to start. My 12 yr old niece is four years in and loves it.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    day said:
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    Colombian Harp prodigy:

Just put headphones on specifically to listen to this and HO. LEE. SHIT.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like face melted completely off LVLZ.

Edit* - wow. One of top 5 musical performances I've ever seen in my life. No words.

And, like the Celtic harp, this is a small open tuned instrument.
    Much cheaper than the chromatic or pedal concert harp.

• arXarX 12 Posts
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    Colombian Harp prodigy:

Cheers for posting this.