Funk/Soul "Revivalist" Groups

2»

Comments

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

latin funk

• Bronx River Parkway

• Yemsky said:
    I agree with many mentioned here (Daptone, Truth & Soul, Timmion, all PoR projects) but there are a few names being mentioned here which were new to me ??? and as it turns out (after some Youtube and Amazon ???research???) I would not include in any discussion about Retro-Soul, Funk/Soul ???Revivalist??? Groups or ???Deep Funk???: Jamie Lidell and Nick Waterhouse, Fitz & The Tantrums and Ben L'Oncle Soul are pop to my ears. Eli "Paperboy" Reed is a good try as is Laura Vane & The Vipertones but ultimately she lacks something, like most stuff on Unique. ???Steam??? is OK, but ???Capsize???? Pleeeaaase. And the comment about her being sexy as hell in that swimming costume was a joke, right?
    Erm, haha, no... It was 1am when I wrote that and she did look very attractive to me at the time. Still does though I will admit, even if reading that did make be go proper red... Reminds me a lot of an ex. Ahem, anyway...

I agree with you on the Fitz & The Tantrums being pop though definitely, good pop, but pop nonetheless. Nick Waterhouse is still pretty funky (well the song I Can Only Give you Everything I heard was)...

Need to pry myself away from the computer and not spend all night youtubing videos again...

• The Natural Yogurt Band.

Not really straight funk, but very funky.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    The Baker Brothers, which I discovered a few weeks ago.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    King.Lewey said:
    Yemsky said:
    I agree with many mentioned here (Daptone, Truth & Soul, Timmion, all PoR projects) but there are a few names being mentioned here which were new to me ??? and as it turns out (after some Youtube and Amazon ???research???) I would not include in any discussion about Retro-Soul, Funk/Soul ???Revivalist??? Groups or ???Deep Funk???: Jamie Lidell and Nick Waterhouse, Fitz & The Tantrums and Ben L'Oncle Soul are pop to my ears. Eli "Paperboy" Reed is a good try as is Laura Vane & The Vipertones but ultimately she lacks something, like most stuff on Unique. ???Steam??? is OK, but ???Capsize???? Pleeeaaase. And the comment about her being sexy as hell in that swimming costume was a joke, right?
    Erm, haha, no... It was 1am when I wrote that and she did look very attractive to me at the time. Still does though I will admit, even if reading that did make be go proper red... Reminds me a lot of an ex. Ahem, anyway...

I agree with you on the Fitz & The Tantrums being pop though definitely, good pop, but pop nonetheless. Nick Waterhouse is still pretty funky (well the song I Can Only Give you Everything I heard was)...

Need to pry myself away from the computer and not spend all night youtubing videos again...

Yeah, to be fair Nick Waterhouse isn't really a soul / funk revivalist, but rather rhythm and blues.

Here's a question for people: who else is doing the sound that Nick Waterhouse is doing? I'm not aware of anything else currently being produced along these lines, except for that Gizzelle 45 of 'Baby Please Don't Go' from a year or two back.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    both those Gizzelle 45s & the CD are well worth grabbing.
    another one straddling thar R&B/Rockabilly fringe is Imelda May

Yemsky said:

DeRobert & The Half-Truths

Cannot hang with this dude's vocals at all, I get Living Color flashbacks. Heavy Corey Glover vibes.

I really liked that Naomi Shelton LP from a few years back.

• orips said:

I've had a few dancefloors go bonkers to their version of Family Tree. The flute is :shreddin_it:

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    SmallAxeRick said:
    orips said:

I've had a few dancefloors go bonkers to their version of Family Tree. The flute is :shreddin_it:

These guys put out some 45s on a label run by the record shop I used to work for, label was called ARSE IIRC, but that yootoob above mentions AVID, the name of the shop. Think I tried hooking them up with Fryer BITD but not sure if that ever worked out. Glad things are still going for them.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    holmes said:
    both those Gizzelle 45s & the CD are well worth grabbing.
    another one straddling thar R&B/Rockabilly fringe is Imelda May

Nice one dude. Gonna check this when I can see TEH TUBEZ at home tonight!