Rock Of Ages

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
No.

isnt Grunge establishing itself by 1987?

or was it more Guns n Roses type shit?

Comments

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Whitesnake type shit.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Broadway show was enjoyable and tongue-in -cheek. Movie looks the same. I didn't even realize there was a specific year attached. I just knew it was (obviously) set in the 80s. It's not like it's based on a true story or anything. Maybe they set it in '87 to give them a few more years from which to pull classic rock songs from?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    batmon said:
    No.

Grunge didn't rear it's head until 1991???.

1987 was the height of Poison and all that awful Glam Metal. G'N'R came in around that time and changed things up.

Tom Cruise is not a believable hair rocker.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I kind of want to see this.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Soundgarden had a few albums out by '89 but didn't sound as grundgey yet.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    RAJ said:
    batmon said:
    No.

1987 was the height of Poison and all that awful Glam Metal. G'N'R came in around that time and changed things up.

Tom Cruise is not a believable anything.

Fixed.

RAJ said:

I think as an over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek one he can be.

Problem is, he'll probably be playing it straight thinking we're laughing WITH him.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I think I would rather see Dark Shadows multiple times than see this hunka shit...looks fucking terrible.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    RAJ said:

The GNR record dropped in '87, but didn't blow up until '88. Whitesnake and their hairy compatriots were definitely looming large in '87.

I saw the Broadway play with wifey, who grew up as a typical hairsprayed Jersey teen in the late '80s and was amped to see it. I had a good time, they even had a beer dude wandering around to sell you drinks. I gotta admit, the funniest part was the pre-recorded David Coverdale "the play is about to start" intro, where he asked the audience to take off their Bluetooth earpieces, "because it makes you look like a total douchebag."

I sat at a table next to David Coverdale at a restaurant in '89 or so...all I really remember was a bottle of cognac on the table and the huge titted stripper looking lady he was with.

Thymebomb13 said:
    Nirvana Love Buzz single was 1988.

Yes, but they were still playing to only a few dozen people in bars in notseattle,USA all the way up to '90...not a phenomena that knocked the hair dudes off the charts and out of the arenas until '91

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I graduated in 91 and i recall before that Nirvana was already getting played at parties.

I heard Edie Brickell and the Whoemevers, 10000 Maniacs, and REM IIRC. Fuckin Melissa Ethridge. U2 Rattle and Hum. Janes Addiction.

Hair Metal seemed like it was on its way out. But GNR was huge.

Now this isnt some Cadallac records steez where they are trying to be as tight as they can when it comes to history but i found shit odd.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    I think I would rather see Dark Shadows multiple times than see this hunka shit...looks fucking terrible.

I agree.
    This looks like a turd of the highest order and embarrassingly bad.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Glee Goes Metal

Rockadelic said:
    Glee Goes Metal

Rock Of Ages came 4 years before Glee, but Cop Rock has 'em both beat by at least 15.

This is tongue-in-cheek and pokes fun at the genre/era. (Of course, I've only seen the play but the movie looks to be the same.)

This thread reminds of when I told my cousin to watch Shoot 'Em Up with Clive Owen, Paul Giamatti and sexy ass Monica Bellucci and he came back mad as hell on some ol' "That movie was stupid! Delivering a baby while shooting people... Psssshhh... Like THAT would happen!" then proceeded to tell me how awesome the crazy ass parkour crane-fighting scene was in whatever James Bond movie was out at the time. All I could do was shake my head.