Duck Dunn RIP

big earbig ear 67 Posts
edited May 2012 in Strut Central
sad news.
one of the greatest bass players ever.
RIP
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertainment/8466816/bass-player-donald-duck-dunn-dies

Comments

• minimini 879 Posts
    RIP

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    RIP

GOAT

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Damn Damn DAMN!!!! RIP

• OptimusLimeOptimusLime 227 Posts
    That's sad. My inspiration to start playing bass.

RIP

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

KING

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    That's a very sad one. He was responsible for some of my all-time favorite music, like the Otis records I listened to yesterday.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Rip to a legend
    Him and skip within a week of each other too
    Being at an age watching all of your heroes fade is some difficult shit

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    oh man, there's no you tube clip, but put on "So Glad to Have You" from the Shirley Brown Woman to Woman LP and just listen to this man do his thing. a legend. the MG's are, if nothing else, the coolest band of all time. and they are of course much more than that. R.I.P.

been playing Stax LPs all afternoon. remembered why so many people covered "Security" by Otis Redding ... cause his version absolutely lays waste to your soul. other sleeper hits from today: Mel & Tim's uptempo take on "I'm Your Puppet" showcases the bass nicely, and Dunn doing Detroit on Mavis Staples' cover of Marvin Gaye's "Chained"

wow, if a thread about Duck Dunn passing away only gets 10 posts on Soul Strut, it might be time to turn off the lights and lock the door behind us.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    wow, if a thread about Duck Dunn passing away only gets 10 posts on Soul Strut, it might be time to turn off the lights and lock the door behind us.

I'll up the ante to twelve if it will help.

Little is said about it, but Duck wasn't on "Green Onions" nor the album of the same name - the original MGs bass player was Lewie Steinberg. But that was early on. I forget when Duck got on the train, but once he did, he defined the sound of both the band and the label they recorded for. My fave Duck Dunn moment: his rumbling riffs on 1971's "Melting Pot."

He joined the MG's in '64, and was there from Otis Redding's first sessions for Stax right through the end of the decade.

To hear a great version of Green Onions with him on it, check the MG's & Mar-Keys "Back to Back" LP, recorded before a very enthused audience in the UK.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    RIP Duck. So many classics in the bag. Probably the first bassist I noticed on record when I was checking the Otis catalogue. Glad he was still active when he passed, nothing worse than long, protracted illnesses keeping a musician away from what he loved.

God bless.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    very sad news, an absolute legend who played a part in so many of my fave records. RIP.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    My fave Duck Dunn moment: his rumbling riffs on 1971's "Melting Pot."

Mine too. Him and Al Jackson Jr. were one of the best rhythm sections there's ever been. There was something about that configuration of the MGs that was so sublime and understated, and so perfectly balanced, while at the same time being raw and dirty as fuck.

RIP to one of the men who truly built this shit.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:

I felt the same way about the Skip thread...what did it get? 6 or 7 posts?..these 2 musicians are, I am willing to bet, in every strutter's collection (and are the GOAT). Dunno why they are getting so little attention...but the dude that pretty much invented the "pocket" along with Al Jackson, the dude that made the "head noddin" beat possible is now gone...as Biden would say...it's a big fuckin' deal.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    [sheepish] First knew of Duck Dunn thanks to The Blues Brothers. [/sheepish]

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Duck Dunn is a huge loss. I didn't even realise Skip Pitts had died until just now. Unbelievable to think how influential these two figures have been and yet how few people realise what they achieved.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

One of my absolute faves and is probably on about 50 records that i own.

Hip Hug Her, Melting Pot...man oh man.

Always seemed like a very cool guy.

PLUS, who esle in rock/soul rocked a PIPE for like 50 years?

Got to see him play only one in the 90s when they backed up Neil Young.

RIP to a LEGEND!

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    RIP

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    MOTOWN. STAX. CHESS.

Get on my fucking level!!

Duck Dunn has one of the nasty bass tones of all time.

- spidey

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

Love the way he plays the Batman Theme on the bridge of this one.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    With Levon Helm and the RCO All Stars

Paul Butterfield shines on this one.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I will unabashedly cop to this. Then again, given that I was 5 yrs old at the time, that movie is as respectable an introduction to this dude's work as any other I suppose. RIP.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    This song is features one of my favorite bass lines performed by Mr. Dunn.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I first heard him when I copped Melting Pot back in the mid 90's. It was one of the first records of it's kind that I bought and was like: I want much much more of this sound. Dunn had everything to do with that sound. Sad news.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Aint no sunshine..

- spidey

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Can't believe I didn't see this anywhere else. What a legend. RIP Duck Dunn