The Avengers

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited April 2012 in Strut Central
I caught this last night. First time I've been to see a movie on the day it opened for a long time. I just found out that it doesn't open in the US until this weekend, which is kind of surprising. With that in mind, a few brief thoughts (but no spoilers);

Whedon got the tone just right, imo.
Ruffalo's Hulk/Banner >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everyone else's Hulk/Banner.
Tom Hiddlestone straight kills it as Loki.
Renner makes a better Hawkeye than I expected
RDJ gets the best one-liners.
It's worth catching in 3D
Cobie Smulders is kind of cute.
There's a moment shortly after the start of the climactic battle sequence where Whedon does a kind of Michael Bay low-angle 360 as the main theme kicks in which is one of the best "now THAT's what I'm talking about!" moments I've had at the movies for a minute. You"ll know what I mean when you see it.

Solid 8.5/10, easy. You guys are gonna love it.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ive waited 30 years for this type shit

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Good to hear it lives up to the hype. Not a big comic book head outside the film adaptations but was really looking forward to this. The excitement has died down a bit after the trailers which showed the whole story and dampened a bit more by sitting through Captain America the other day but will be going into this hyped again.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    batmon said:
    ive waited 30 years for this type shit

One of my boys said almost the exact same thing - "a movie I've been waiting for since I was five years old."

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    good to hear
    can't wait to check it out
    in my private mind garden an alpha flight movie will be made...or at least deadpool

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    I caught this last night. First time I've been to see a movie on the day it opened for a long time. I just found out that it doesn't open in the US until this weekend, which is kind of surprising. With that in mind, a few brief thoughts (but no spoilers);

There's a moment shortly after the start of the climactic battle sequence where Whedon does a kind of Michael Bay low-angle 360 as the main theme kicks in which is one of the best "now THAT's what I'm talking about!" moments I've had at the movies for a minute. You"ll know what I mean when you see it.

Can't wait to see it!!!!! Paul, did you see the film in Germany or The UK? The film was renamed "Marvel Avengers Assemble" for the UK so there would not be any confusion regarding John Steed and Emma Peel.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Can't wait to see it!!!!! Paul, did you see the film in Germany or The UK? The film was renamed "Marvel Avengers Assemble" for the UK so there would not be any confusion regarding John Steed and Emma Peel.

Saw it here in Berlin, where no renaming was necessary - the TV show is called Mit Schirm, Charme und Melone in the Germanic countries. Personally, I grew up with both the comic books and the TV show and there was never any confusion in my mind.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    And I actually opened the thread because I thought it was Diana Rigg related...

• long time..

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Appreciate the review. I'm a big Whedon fan but the trailers made the film look ass. Glad it's not as bad as it seems.

• thanos

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Join in on the chorus of "Can't wait!" I've read some early reviews and they're all positive.

speakmumbles said:
    thanos

stop

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    as you can see from my avatar, I'm fairly coo-coo for the Avengers Cocca Puffs. Been waiting for this for so long. Glad to hear it's quality.

the reality is I'll prolly have to wait to see it on DVD as my wife's due with our first child May 3...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Yemsky said:
    And I actually opened the thread because I thought it was Penelope Houston related...

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Punk? Uncharted territory. Remains unexplored for me.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    cant wait to watch this
    BATMON, what ny theater would provide the greatest super hero movie viewing experience?

PatrickCrazy said:
    cant wait to watch this
    BATMON, what ny theater would provide the greatest super hero movie viewing experience?

Just saw it out in Queens. Less crazy than Manhattan. Credit Card steez with a minimal wait to get a seat.

Union Square is alright but my avoid the dummies spot is Battery Park City.
    Lincoln Center/Square on 66th Bway has the IMAX
    Ziegfeld is where the cats dress up on line and shit.

The Avengers was 9.0 for me. They have now raised the bar on the superhero game.
    Shit was crazy as fuck. I was yelling and cheering being the loud negro in the theatre.

And Spider-Man actually looks good. I wasnt interested with this reboot but now im so in.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    batmon said:
    I was yelling and cheering being the loud negro in the theatre.

LOL

Some reviews I've read said it's best to familiarize oneself with Iron Man 1 & 2, Captain America, Thor, and Hulk before watching Avengers...
    CAN ANYONE CONFIRM.

batmon said:

Some reviews I've read said it's best to familiarize oneself with Iron Man 1 & 2, Captain America, Thor, and Hulk before watching Avengers...
    CAN ANYONE CONFIRM.

No...u can watch it without any of those backstories. Its made for folks that dont know a thing about the individuals or the history of the team.

They give u enuff info so u wont feel like who is X.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    rad. thx.
    might have to check out tomorrow IMAX style.
    and be that quiet white guy. sitting by himself.
    seems like I go to movies solo more often than not anymore lol

Epic is all I got to say. For now at least.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    totally worth the wait!!!! :feelin_it:

Would gladly see it again. Hell, I'd go see it a couple times in fact.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    i enjoyed it. i thought they did a good job of giving each character their time to shine.

if you didnt know there is a secret scene half way through the ending credits (facemelt) and one at the very end.

8/10

motown67 said:

I know i am going to check this again. Im shooting for the oversized IMAX next time.

Cant wait for the Bluray w/ the extras.

Im not gonna get into the story but besides the "secret ending" (which came right after the movie ending in the 3D version I saw and wasnt 10 mins later in the credits like it usually is) there were no "deep comic head stuff" in this flick like the others.

Captain America had two Arnim Zola references. A Human Torch sighting. A SHIELD flying car prototype.
    Iron Man has the Five Rings Mandarin backstory.
    The Incredible Hulk gave you the beginnings of The Leader.

I really liked how they handled Hawkeye and Black Widow. And their backstory. Very close to the spirit of the comic.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    batmon said:
    motown67 said:

I really liked how they handled Hawkeye and Black Widow. And their backstory. Very close to the spirit of the comic.

yea, they really made Hawk and Widow integral to the plot which was cool.

• really surprised at all the hulk film talk based on this film. the cg was awesome, but he had about 2 maybe 3 scenes, and one line if i believe correctly. bruce banner was played well again, but i feel that edward norton did a great job at it too. hulk has always been loved, but its the storylines they choose and the direction they go in, that determine if the movie is a flop or not criticially.

oh and captain americas helmet/mask was horrible. too bad they get to use the ultimate hawkeye costume, but cap had the same 1940's suit he has in the 616 universe.

speakmumbles said:
    really surprised at all the hulk film talk based on this film. the cg was awesome, but he had about 2 maybe 3 scenes, and one line if i believe correctly. bruce banner was played well again, but i feel that edward norton did a great job at it too. hulk has always been loved, but its the storylines they choose and the direction they go in, that determine if the movie is a flop or not criticially.

oh and captain americas helmet/mask was horrible. too bad they get to use the ultimate hawkeye costume, but cap had the same 1940's suit he has in the 616 universe.

Did u expect the Hulk to hold a conversation? He had like 5 scenes. Ed Norton wants too much facetime. Its not a Banner movie.

The dude who played Hawkeye said he didnt want to wear the purple mask. I just wish they incorporated some purple in his gear.

• Hawkeye has purple across the torso of his outfit. its just not bright with an huge H. hulk has conversations all the time in the comics, keep up. ed norton was actually signed up for the avengers, but since he wanted to make the incredible hulk a better film through editing, and kept butting heads with Marvel, they chose not to extend the offer to him.

speakmumbles said:
    Hawkeye has purple across the torso of his outfit. its just not bright with an huge H. hulk has conversations all the time in the comics, keep up. ed norton was actually signed up for the avengers, but since he wanted to make the incredible hulk a better film through editing, and kept butting heads with Marvel, they chose not to extend the offer to him.

Talkin' Hulk depends on what era or level of radiation. Monster Hulk is fine for this film.

Classic Hulk isnt the Hulk that retains Banners intelligence.

Norton can go do Yoga Hulk somewhere else.