the rolling stones

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited September 2005 in Music Talk
if i got it in my budget to get 6 rolling stones albums (on cd...) which ones should i leave the store with?i was reading up on them on allmusic http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=ROLLING|STONES&uid=CAW030509122223&sql=11:4uvyxdgbjoly~T2and they have like phucking 10 albums rated 4 1/2 stars or above..godamn, i didnt even know they had all these albums. i just heard "some girls" which is dope, but besides that i just know them by their popular singles.school me.peaceNadvance

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    overrated, go buy beatles cds. or hendrix.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    save your cashola, go to a used spot, pick up their greatest (s)hits and take your girl out to supper. you'll want to listen to something else if you get laid though.

• overrated, go buy hendrix cds.

• save your cashola, go to a used spot, pick up their greatest (s)hits and take your girl out to supper. you'll want to listen to something else if you get laid though.

lol

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    just go buy all their stuff starting from Exile on Main Street and work backwards...
    the Stones sucked donkey cock after exile IMO...

but all their stuff is pretty much dollarbin common to $10 for everything from 'England's Newest Hitmakers' on up, provided you are satisfied w/US pressings. You may even luck into some cheap UK press if you hit up stores with good rock selection.

Early Stones is always some great raw shit, all the way up thru Exile. Not every LP was great, but most were good or better, and some are sublime (like 'Aftermath' and '12x 5' and several more.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Flowers ('Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?' 'Backstreet Girl')
    Sticky Fingers ('Dead Flowers' 'Wild Horses')
    Exile on Main Street

• Easy! Start at their first album and keep going until Brian Jones dies.

Fuck the Beatles.

save your cashola, go to a used spot, pick up their greatest (s)hits and take your girl out to supper. you'll want to listen to something else if you get laid though.

I know my age is showing, but 'Moonlight Mile' and the rest of Sticky Fingers is great to get busy to. Preferably when you are 19 and with a 20yr old chick, though.

Rolling Stones couldn't carry the Beatles jocks in a suitcase. In comparison, RS are talentless hacks.

Fuck the Beatles.

Rolling Stones couldn't carry the Beatles jocks in a suitcase. In comparison, RS are talentless hacks.

Where is the 'Apples and Oranges' graemlin?

Stuck in post production with the 'useless argument' graemlin, or perhaps the 'brick wall' graemlin?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Fuck the Beatles.
    crazy

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Jesus Christ dude, what the fuck have you been smoking?? I'll take early Stones over Beatles anyday. Anything up to & Exile is a worthwhile listen.

Cmon, fuck the Beatles? Dudes always hatting on the Beatles and it's played. I thought I'd state for the record that hatting on the Beatles, while perfectly cool as personal opinion is hella

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    all of the bands mentioned in this thread fucking suck

yeah, even if you dont like them, they had more talent and originality than any other group, pretty much EVER

• exile stands out from all the other albums to me

Jesus Christ dude, what the fuck have you been smoking?? I'll take early Stones over Beatles anyday. Anything up to & Exile is a worthwhile listen.

Beatles musicianship and arrangements/compositions FAR EXCEED anything the Stones ever wrote. They're just better. It might be comparing apples to oranges because they weren't going for the same audience per se, but on a pure musical/influential/iconic scale, the Stones are a joke compared to the Beatles.

• What's with the Rolling Stones hatters? Stones were dope.

I just found that disco mix with the longer break of Miss You... dance classic.

Oh, and the other day I just heard that song "She's a Rainbow" for the first time the other day... shit is dope! What album is that on... and why had I never heard it?

Oh, and Charlie Watts is a dope drummer.

Peace...
    FNM

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    just go buy all their stuff starting from Exile on Main Street and work backwards...
    the Stones sucked donkey cock after exile IMO...

but all their stuff is pretty much dollarbin common to $10 for everything from 'England's Newest Hitmakers' on up, provided you are satisfied w/US pressings. You may even luck into some cheap UK press if you hit up stores with good rock selection.

Early Stones is always some great raw shit, all the way up thru Exile. Not every LP was great, but most were good or better, and some are sublime (like 'Aftermath' and '12x 5' and several more.

to the Bird here. The titles that he refers to here are:

Beggar's Banquet
    Let It Bleed
    Sticky Fingers
    Exile on Mainstreet

I also dig:

Some Girls
    Tatoo You

Some of:
    It's Only Rock n' Roll
    Goat's Head Soup

and lots of their early stuff. They do one of the best covers of Not Fade Away and It's All Over Now is nice. Many people think their mid 60s work is really interesting and their most original work. Wes Anderson films celebrate this period thoroughly.

"She's a Rainbow"
    bite of Love's-She Comes in Colors

• Cmon, fuck the Beatles? Dudes always hatting on the Beatles and it's played. I thought I'd state for the record that hatting on the Beatles, while perfectly cool as personal opinion is hella

What is played is a band with maybe four good albums constantly being shoved down my throat for more than they were (which was a bunch of pretty boys with a pretty damned good guitar player). If I want pretty boy pop stars, I'll take The Small Faces over The Beatles too. And yeah, I recognize that Brian Jones was a pretty boy too, but he had style.... But what did The Beatles ever do for Muddy Waters?

p.s. Fuck The Beatles.

what abot this????///
    wheres the OVERRATED graemlin. everyone i know loves this record and when i listen to it im like, "huh?"

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    what abot this????///

"2000 light years from home" is Mim this is where you'll find She's a Rainbow.

• you are on fire TheMack

Cmon, fuck the Beatles? Dudes always hatting on the Beatles and it's played. I thought I'd state for the record that hatting on the Beatles, while perfectly cool as personal opinion is hella

What is played is a band with maybe four good albums constantly being shoved down my throat for more than they were (which was a bunch of pretty boys with a pretty damned good guitar player). If I want pretty boy pop stars, I'll take The Small Faces over The Beatles too. And yeah, I recognize that Brian Jones was a pretty boy too, but he had style.... But what did The Beatles ever do for Muddy Waters?

p.s. Fuck The Beatles.
    you must not know anything about music, or have that good of taste in music either

• milomilo 49 Posts
    y'all sound like a bunch of fat guys in a bar that serves 10 cent hot wings

you are on fire TheMack
    naw, i just REALLY cant see how people hate on the beatles, STILL!!! dudes were geniuses, give them that atleast, okay you dont like their music, they dont suck, not by a long shot. and i think that the rolling stones are pretty overrated on the whole. never dug em. i like there early raw as shit, but other than that, im cool

• y'all sound like a bunch of fat guys in a bar that serves 10 cent hot wings

welcome to internets

y'all sound like a bunch of fat guys in a bar that serves 10 cent hot wings

I agree with you, but I just get annoyed with Beatles hatters.

Killer Beatles albums IMO:

Magical Mystery Tour
    Let It Be
    Introducing...The Beatles
    Rubber Soul
    Yesterday and Today
    Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    White Album
    Revolver
    Help!

Buy you some, relisten.

And BTW, what did the Rolling Stones do for Willie Dixon?