Cooley High Soundtrack (Too Motown-ish)?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2015 in Strut Central
CH is coming out on Bluray this year, and I was at this forum and dude complained:
"One of the few movies I went to see 2X when it was in theaters. Too bad the soundtrack is all [em]Motown[/em] as the movie takes place on Chicago near North Side in the area where Curtis Mayfield, Jerry Butler and Major Lance to mention a few, lived. [strong]No Chicago Soul music whatsoever.[/strong]"

This is '75 written by a dude from Cabrini-Green recalling the "early to mid 60's"?

What percentage of Chicago Soul would be in a daily teenager's life?
Was local Chicago radio playing half Soul 45's w/ half Motown?
Were Black soda shop jukeboxes filled w/ local Chi- Soul?
Was Chicago that "pro-Local" Soul at the time of Motown?
Was Chicago Soul more "adult" and got played at nightclubs where grown folks were?

Or was this just a simple license situation and getting the most popular Black music trumped "keeping it real"?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I really think it's the kid music versus adult music thing. Kids aren't scouring beyond the hits in most cases. And for that time period, Motown definitely dominated the charts. Also, movies back then weren't often made to be so region specific. They were selling the film to audiences that probably only knew Motown versus more obscure Chicago soul.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    I really think it's the kid music versus adult music thing. Kids aren't scouring beyond the hits in most cases. And for that time period, Motown definitely dominated the charts. Also, movies back then weren't often made to be so region specific. They were selling the film to audiences that probably only knew Motown versus more obscure Chicago soul.

Yeah..I agree.

But even if they just went for the popular Motown sound, does a Chi-Soul complainer have somewhat of a small case?

Were the Impressions not in rotation?

Devil's Advocate.

Like if you were to keep it "accurate" what percentage would really be Chi-Soul?

• they prob. just used motown tunes a signifier of the sound of young black america of a certain vintage. i also have to think motown would appeal to a much wider audience than chicago soul.

that reminds me, i need to get rid of this record which i only have for the two freddie perrin tunes. then again, i do love the drawing on the cover. i think one of the mad magazine guys did it.

was the movie any good?

crabmongerfunk said:
    was the movie any good?

Self- Destruction...you headed for Self-Destruction.....

• i'll take that as a yes. just found a full version on youtube, gonna czech:

Black History Month

Chicago Blues artist signed to Motown.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Some movies rely on the music, some movies don't. Other than the soda shop scenes and the funeral, I don't recall any tunes. I don't think dude gave a fuck imo, other than the GC Cameron song, which sounds like Donny Hathaway singing so much, they shoulda gotten Donny to do it, even though he was on his downswing at that point.
    I'm rambling. Character/plot driven movies like this don't need great music.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Harvey Fuqua
    Who brought Marvin Gaye to Motown

I've never seen Cooley High.

But...
    Impression, Jerry Butler, Major Lance, these are not obscure Chicago soul artists.
    My guess is that kids hanging out at school, on the streets, listening to the radio, heard lots of Motown, lots of Chicago soul, lots of NYC soul, Lots of Memphis soul, lots of LA soul. But I doubt they thought much about where the music was coming from. It was just music, not Motown music, or ATCO music. They would be more likely to hear the Dells or Syl Johnson than James Carr or Thee Midnighters. But only slightly so, I would guess. I'm guessing that it is much the same for radio programers. If it was a national hit it got played. With a little bit of regional hits thrown in.

As for the movie, if it is a 100% Motown soundtrack that suggests that the studio and Motown worked a deal to make it that way.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Other than the soda shop scenes and the funeral, I don't recall any tunes.

The house party turned brawl scene.

• CH is coming out on Bluray this year, and I was at this forum and dude complained:

"One of the few movies I went to see 2X when it was in theaters. Too bad the soundtrack is all [em]Motown[/em] as the movie takes place on Chicago near North Side in the area where Curtis Mayfield, Jerry Butler and Major Lance to mention a few, lived. [strong]No Chicago Soul music whatsoever.[/strong]"

This is '75 written by a dude from Cabrini-Green recalling the "early to mid 60's"?

Was Chicago Soul more "adult" and got played at nightclubs where grown folks were?

Or was this just a simple license situation and getting the most popular Black music trumped "keeping it real"?

I love the movie but they missed the boat on Chicago stuff.
    Here's a WVON chart from Feb of 1965. I count at least a dozen Chicago records (vs 3 Motown) in the Top 40

1 Jr. Walker Shotgun 6
    2 Temptations My Girl 10
    3 Four Tops Ask The Lonely 6
    4 Sam Cooke A Change Is Gonna Come 5
    5 Impressions People Get Ready 6
    6 Dee Dee Warwick Do It With All Your Heart 5
    7 Walter Jackson Suddenly I'm All Alone 6
    8 Fontella & Bobby Good Thing 9
    9 Little Anthony Hurt So Bad 3
    10 Willie Tee Teasin' You 7
    11 Maxine Brown It's Gonna Be Alright 5
    12 Dee Clark T.C.B. 5
    13 Eddie & Ernie Time Waits For No One 8
    14 Bobby Byrd We Are In Love 5
    15 Major Lance Come See 4
    16 Jerry Butler Good Times 5
    17 Billy Stewart I Do Love You 3
    18 Alvin Cash Barracuda 4
    19 Howling Wolf Killing Floor 5
    20 Supremes Stop In The Name Of Love 3
    21 Len Rogers You're The Cream Of The Crop 2
    22 Tony Clarke The Entertainer 4
    23 Five Du-Tones Woodbine Twine 5
    24 Wallace Brothers I'll Step Aside 3
    25 Jackie Wilson Danny Boy 3
    26 Alvin Robinson How Can I Get Over You 5
    27 Ray Charles Cry 2
    28 Donny Elbert A Little Piece Of Leather 4
    29 Bettye Swann Don't Wait Too Long 6
    30 Tommy Hunt I Don't Want To Lose You 2
    31 Ike & Tina Turner Tell Her I'm Not Home 4
    32 L. C. Cooke Do You Wanna Dance 3
    33 Jaynetts Peeping Out The Window 2
    34 Johnny Nash Strange Feeling 3
    35 Solomon Burke Got To Get You off My Mind 2
    36 Cicero Blake Sad Feeling 8
    37 Mickey & Sylvia Let's Shake Some More 3
    38 Sidney Barnes Shindig 3
    39 Joe Tex Baby, You're Right 3
    40 Clay Hammond Shotgun Wedding 3
    41 Brenda Holloway When I'm Gone 2
    42 Kim Weston I'm Still Loving You 3
    43 Martha & The Vandellas Nowhere To Run 1
    44 Jill Harris You Really Didn't Mean It 3
    45 Effie Smith The Blond Wig 2
    PH Jimmy McCracklin Every Night, Every Day

F16C! nice to see you posting!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    CH is coming out on Bluray this year, and I was at this forum and dude complained:

I love the movie but they missed the boat on Chicago stuff.
    Here's a WVON chart from Feb of 1965. I count at least a dozen Chicago records (vs 3 Motown) in the Top 40

1 Jr. Walker Shotgun 6
    2 Temptations My Girl 10
    3 Four Tops Ask The Lonely 6
    4 Sam Cooke A Change Is Gonna Come 5
    5 Impressions People Get Ready 6
    6 Dee Dee Warwick Do It With All Your Heart 5
    7 Walter Jackson Suddenly I'm All Alone 6
    8 Fontella & Bobby Good Thing 9
    9 Little Anthony Hurt So Bad 3
    10 Willie Tee Teasin' You 7
    11 Maxine Brown It's Gonna Be Alright 5
    12 Dee Clark T.C.B. 5
    13 Eddie & Ernie Time Waits For No One 8
    14 Bobby Byrd We Are In Love 5
    15 Major Lance Come See 4
    16 Jerry Butler Good Times 5
    17 Billy Stewart I Do Love You 3
    18 Alvin Cash Barracuda 4
    19 Howling Wolf Killing Floor 5
    20 Supremes Stop In The Name Of Love 3
    21 Len Rogers You're The Cream Of The Crop 2
    22 Tony Clarke The Entertainer 4
    23 Five Du-Tones Woodbine Twine 5
    24 Wallace Brothers I'll Step Aside 3
    25 Jackie Wilson Danny Boy 3
    26 Alvin Robinson How Can I Get Over You 5
    27 Ray Charles Cry 2
    28 Donny Elbert A Little Piece Of Leather 4
    29 Bettye Swann Don't Wait Too Long 6
    30 Tommy Hunt I Don't Want To Lose You 2
    31 Ike & Tina Turner Tell Her I'm Not Home 4
    32 L. C. Cooke Do You Wanna Dance 3
    33 Jaynetts Peeping Out The Window 2
    34 Johnny Nash Strange Feeling 3
    35 Solomon Burke Got To Get You off My Mind 2
    36 Cicero Blake Sad Feeling 8
    37 Mickey & Sylvia Let's Shake Some More 3
    38 Sidney Barnes Shindig 3
    39 Joe Tex Baby, You're Right 3
    40 Clay Hammond Shotgun Wedding 3
    41 Brenda Holloway When I'm Gone 2
    42 Kim Weston I'm Still Loving You 3
    43 Martha & The Vandellas Nowhere To Run 1
    44 Jill Harris You Really Didn't Mean It 3
    45 Effie Smith The Blond Wig 2
    PH Jimmy McCracklin Every Night, Every Day
    fucking hell
    those were the days waaaaay b4 i was born
    jeeez

• LaserWolf said:
    I've never seen Cooley High.

But...
    Impression, Jerry Butler, Major Lance, these are not obscure Chicago soul artists.

And it's also worth mentioning that the sixties were a very regional time. There were quite a few local hits that the teens bought that never made it out of Illinois. If they inserted, say, a lesser-known Five Dutones 45 that only got played on WVON, it wouldn't be record-collector wishful thinking - it would certainly be true to the time and place.

My guess is that kids hanging out at school, on the streets, listening to the radio, heard lots of Motown, lots of Chicago soul, lots of NYC soul, Lots of Memphis soul, lots of LA soul. But I doubt they thought much about where the music was coming from.

They did if they came from their hometown.

Plenty of older black folk have their stories about playing softball with members of the Five Stairsteps or dating Minnie Riperton.

As for the movie, if it is a 100% Motown soundtrack that suggests that the studio and Motown worked a deal to make it that way.

Indeed. I think Berry Gordy would have been a bit too proud to release a period soundtrack that wasn't dominated by his oldies in some way (witness Big Chill). One Luther Allison cut from 1974, plus a Stevie Wonder song recorded live in Chicago in '63. And that was it.

However, if they HAD to stick to the Motown catalog, they could have used an Amos Milburn song. At least it would have been true to the time. (Motown tried to bring back Milburn in the early sixties, but it didn't work out.)

• ...kinda ironic, too, considering that WVON in Chicago supposedly broke more Motown hits than anyone else. That was Berry Gordy's testing ground.

pickwick33 said:
    ...kinda ironic, too, considering that WVON in Chicago supposedly broke more Motown hits than anyone else. That was Berry Gordy's testing ground.

So is it safe to say the soundtrack isnt all that odd/off considering Motown's proximity and payola relationship?

Or was Monte and/or the studio "BlackWashing" the era?

The_Non said:
    Some movies rely on the music, some movies don't. Other than the soda shop scenes and the funeral, I don't recall any tunes. I don't think dude gave a fuck imo, other than the GC Cameron song, which sounds like Donny Hathaway singing so much, they shoulda gotten Donny to do it, even though he was on his downswing at that point.

Well this was still during the Blaxplotation Era, so I think music was an integral selling point.
    Even "lesser" Blax flims had memorable soundtracks.

batmon said:
    The_Non said:

Well this was still during the Blaxplotation Era, so I think music was an integral selling point.
    That's true, but Blaxploit was usually action. So badasses chasing people and beating down suckas to funky soundtracks makes sense. Preach and Cochise hijinks didn't require hot tracks.

The_Non said:
    batmon said:
    The_Non said:

That's true, but Blaxploit was usually action. So badasses chasing people and beating down suckas to funky soundtracks makes sense. Preach and Cochise hijinks didn't require hot tracks.

Sparkle, Claudine,Youngblood, and a gang of Blaxploitation werent action films and relied on music.
    Shit....Superfly isnt an Action film and that was all music.

batmon said:
    The_Non said:
    batmon said:
    The_Non said:

Sparkle, Claudine,Youngblood, and a gang of Blaxploitation werent action films and relied on music.
    Superfly was suspenseful
    Sparkle, Claudine and Youngblood soundtracks all suck.
    I get your point and it's pretty good, and I'm not gonna rattle my saber hard on mine. Having said that though, I don't think character driven movies require good soundtracks.
    I think we're talking past each other. I'm not saying character driven movies don't require music at all, or even "crucially," but they don't require successful/"good"/critically acclaimed soundtracks. I would even argue that Superfly does a terrible job as a movie handling the great soundtrack given to it by Curtis.

• ...kinda ironic, too, considering that WVON in Chicago supposedly broke more Motown hits than anyone else. That was Berry Gordy's testing ground.

So is it safe to say the soundtrack isnt all that odd/off considering Motown's proximity and payola relationship?

It's not off, but considering that Chicago had a soul scene of it's own, it's kinda like: WTF???

Like a guy I know once said, if this movie were about Detroit teens and the soundtrack was all Chicago artists, then Detroiters would be wondering what the hell was going on. And I'm not even talking about the obscuros, either - I mean, the well-known ones like the Impressions or Jerry Butler.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i need to get rid of this record which i only have for the two freddie perrin tunes.

Reminds me that the only scene I viewed was the cop car vs. forklift (hence the title of the UBB canonized "Two Pigs And A Hog") while flipping channels several years ago. I've seen "American Graffiti" and others of its type, just not this one.

Diana Ross played a fashion designer from Chicago in "Mahogany".

The_Non said:
    batmon said:
    The_Non said:
    batmon said:
    The_Non said:

Superfly was suspenseful
    I get your point and it's pretty good, and I'm not gonna rattle my saber hard on mine. Having said that though, I don't think character driven movies require good soundtracks.
    I think we're talking past each other. I'm not saying character driven movies don't require music at all, or even "crucially," but they don't require successful/"good"/critically acclaimed soundtracks. I would even argue that Superfly does a terrible job as a movie handling the great soundtrack given to it by Curtis.

Required or not, that was the style of the era. Shooting it down is just wishful thinking.

I dont understand what u mean by handling Curtis soundtrack?
    He recorded it to the film.
    Whats terrible about Priest in his apt when Think plays?
    Give Me Your Love - slow-mo bubble bath...terrible?
    Junkie Chase was a junkie chase.....terrible?
    Freddie Dead opening sequence is terrible?
    The Pusherman stills sequence is terrible?

Whatever

Cooley High, good or not, required or not, overlooked it own music. Thats my original question.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    alls i know is that the fist time i saw this as an adult my gf at the time cried her eyes out regardless of the ost

kala said:
    alls i know is that the fist time i saw this as an adult my gf at the time cried her eyes out regardless of the ost

I was pretty bro'd out about it too first time I saw it.

The_Non said:
    batmon said:
    The_Non said:
    batmon said:
    The_Non said:

Superfly was suspenseful

Required or not, that was the style of the era. Shooting it down is just wishful thinking.

I dont understand what u mean by handling Curtis soundtrack?
    He recorded it to the film.
    Whats terrible about Priest in his apt when Think plays?
    Give Me Your Love - slow-mo bubble bath...terrible?
    Junkie Chase was a junkie chase.....terrible?
    Freddie Dead opening sequence is terrible?
    The Pusherman stills sequence is terrible?

Whatever

Cooley High, good or not, required or not, overlooked it own music. Thats my original question.

Well then, it did.

• MC57MC57 3 Posts
    I can't remember how they hooked up the deal to get all that classic Motown music on the soundtrack but I think they were just going for an easy, quick and effective fix. They got all of their 60s music from one source. The soundtrack is legendary so they did well. I don't think licensing was a thing so Motown probably was cool as long as no other labels were featured and the filmmakers could have got the music for peanuts or nothing at all. Cooley High was guerilla filmmaking, big-time. Curtis was cool though. He dominated Black soundtracks back then.

• MC57MC57 3 Posts

• MC57MC57 3 Posts