Old Man Rap

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central




Full disclosure, I like both of these joints. But I am definitely feeling like an old head, playing some Najee type schitt.
«13

  Comments


  • batmonbatmon 27,584 Posts

  • The_NonThe_Non 5,681 Posts
    What you post, Foxmon. I got a red x.
    Adult contempo rapz! DoItAll predicted it.

  • batmonbatmon 27,584 Posts
    The_Non said:
    What you post, Foxmon. I got a red x.
    Adult contempo rapz! DoItAll predicted it.

    Murs/9th Wonder - Let Me Talk featuring Suga Free

  • gloomgloom 2,767 Posts
    batmon said:
    The_Non said:
    What you post, Foxmon. I got a red x.
    Adult contempo rapz! DoItAll predicted it.

    Murs/9th Wonder - Let Me Talk featuring Suga Free

    i was (surprisingly) feeling that entire album. hadn't liked ANY of the shit they had done together up to that point.

  • jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    funny, i was just in convo about Old Man Rap.

    Too $hort got gray beard hairs = Old Man Rap??

    if so, i can deal with this.


  • DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,738 Posts
    YOU DO NOT KNOW THE REAL OLD MAN RAP!!!


    ketan

  • batmonbatmon 27,584 Posts
    gloom said:
    batmon said:
    The_Non said:
    What you post, Foxmon. I got a red x.
    Adult contempo rapz! DoItAll predicted it.

    Murs/9th Wonder - Let Me Talk featuring Suga Free

    i was (surprisingly) feeling that entire album. hadn't liked ANY of the shit they had done together up to that point.

    BAN

  • gloomgloom 2,767 Posts
    batmon said:
    gloom said:
    batmon said:
    The_Non said:
    What you post, Foxmon. I got a red x.
    Adult contempo rapz! DoItAll predicted it.

    Murs/9th Wonder - Let Me Talk featuring Suga Free

    i was (surprisingly) feeling that entire album. hadn't liked ANY of the shit they had done together up to that point.

    BAN

    i pine to be an old man

  • staxwaxstaxwax 1,453 Posts
    Applying the tag 'old man' to music makes no sense really - Old Man Funk? Old Man Jazz? Old Man Reggae? Old Man Rock? all suck?

    For a forum so into cherising old and generally obscure music, it seems weird that only when it comes to the beloved rap, many here seem to be so hung up on what is selling, popular with the kids, or has the most mass appeal at the moment.

    Just kick back in your la-z-boy and enjoy that dres. A much better look at your age than fighting your way to the front row at a Drake/Weezy/Lady GaGa show.

  • ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    To me, old man [insert genre] means that genre performed by old men. Most musicians put out their best work before they get old (40+).

  • batmonbatmon 27,584 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Applying the tag 'old man' to music makes no sense really - Old Man Funk? Old Man Jazz? Old Man Reggae? Old Man Rock? all suck?

    For a forum so into cherising old and generally obscure music, it seems weird that only when it comes to the beloved rap, many here seem to be so hung up on what is selling, popular with the kids, or has the most mass appeal at the moment.

    Just kick back in your la-z-boy and enjoy that dres. A much better look at your age than fighting your way to the front row at a Drake/Weezy/Lady GaGa show.

    Hip Hop has been a young mans sport for a long ass time.

    There are a gang of dudes who were once 20 years old in 1991 and continue to try to make music.

    The kids have no idea who they are.

    If a 45 year old made Rap in 1986 that would have been novelty or suspect.

    Dudes are aging and still wanna Rap, w/out the expectations of a 19 year old Sprite commercial MC.

  • Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Applying the tag 'old man' to music makes no sense really - Old Man Funk? Old Man Jazz? Old Man Reggae? Old Man Rock? all suck?

    For a forum so into cherising old and generally obscure music, it seems weird that only when it comes to the beloved rap, many here seem to be so hung up on what is selling, popular with the kids, or has the most mass appeal at the moment.

    Just kick back in your la-z-boy and enjoy that dres. A much better look at your age than fighting your way to the front row at a Drake/Weezy/Lady GaGa show.

    Pipe down hommie, I said I was feeling these joints.

    You can take your cape off and slip on some house slippers. I'm too old to be beefing with you excitable internet types.

  • batmonbatmon 27,584 Posts
    Old Ass Man Rap??

  • Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    "Get off my stoop!"

  • faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,345 Posts
    Speaking of old man rap: I listened to some of that AG Everything's Berri stuff that the one Noz is so excited over, and couldn't see what the big deal was.

    Has anyone else checked (Or has it been posted in this thread? The clips are not showing up in my browser)?

  • HOTSOUPHOTSOUP 63 Posts
    jlee said:
    funny, i was just in convo about Old Man Rap.

    Too $hort got gray beard hairs = Old Man Rap??

    if so, i can deal with this.


    Ahh shit the homie Read More got ataginit

  • haze25haze25 759 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Speaking of old man rap: I listened to some of that AG Everything's Berri stuff that the one Noz is so excited over, and couldn't see what the big deal was.

    Has anyone else checked (Or has it been posted in this thread? The clips are not showing up in my browser)?



    I was not feeling the A.G album at all, though my opinion won't matter to you, being that i loved the Roc Marciano album.





    peace,xavier

  • staxwaxstaxwax 1,453 Posts
    Pipe down hommie, I said I was feeling these joints.

    You can take your cape off and slip on some house slippers. I???m too old to be beefing with you excitable internet types.

    Oh, I wasnt trying to beef - wholly good natured posting.



    Hip Hop has been a young mans sport for a long ass time.

    There are a gang of dudes who were once 20 years old in 1991 and continue to try to make music.

    The kids have no idea who they are.

    If a 45 year old made Rap in 1986 that would have been novelty or suspect.

    Dudes are aging and still wanna Rap, w/out the expectations of a 19 year old Sprite commercial MC.

    True - then again, in 1991 Hip Hop as a whole 'wasnt even 20 years old', I dont see why aging dudes who grew up repping and excelling at something by definition shouldnt be able to drop good music in their 40's or have less interesting fare on offer than 20 something newcomers to the genre. And there are plenty of examples of old folks doing this in any number of genres. In the end - time will tell what genre enthusiasts will consider 'good' or 'bad' contributions to the genre. The quality of the music will be the deciding factor, not the age of the artists, or its popularity at the time of release.

    Speaking of old man rap: I listened to some of that AG Everything's Berri stuff that the one Noz is so excited over, and couldn't see what the big deal was.

    Has anyone else checked (Or has it been posted in this thread? The clips are not showing up in my browser)?

    Not feeling that new AG at all.

    bw.






  • Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    staxwax said:
    Applying the tag 'old man' to music makes no sense really - Old Man Funk? Old Man Jazz? Old Man Reggae? Old Man Rock? all suck?

    For a forum so into cherising old and generally obscure music, it seems weird that only when it comes to the beloved rap, many here seem to be so hung up on what is selling, popular with the kids, or has the most mass appeal at the moment.

    Just kick back in your la-z-boy and enjoy that dres. A much better look at your age than fighting your way to the front row at a Drake/Weezy/Lady GaGa show.

    "Say it loud, I'm old and I'm proud!!!"

    Peace,

    Big Stacks from Kakalak

  • Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The problem with Old Man Rap up until this year or so is that it's previously been completely taken up by the rappers' verbal shaking of fists and yelling at younguns to get off of their proverbial lawns.

    Now that dudes are beginning to rap about life, and things other than rapping itself, and how terrible new rap is, it's becoming a bit more tolerable.

  • batmonbatmon 27,584 Posts

  • el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Shouts to Beat Butcha from the UK for producing that Sean P track, definitely not an old man rap kind of beatmaker...

  • The_NonThe_Non 5,681 Posts
    The beat is the worst part of that song, it sounds like someone is fighting their axe murderer on top of a pipe organ.

  • Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Shears said:
    Shouts to Beat Butcha from the UK for producing that Sean P track, definitely not an old man rap kind of beatmaker...

    One of the things I like about Sean Price is that he basically raps Old Man schitt over Young Dude beats. They're not always good... this one's cool but not great. But dude is just live on the track and kicking some hilarious schitt. P!!!

  • DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 6,906 Posts
    batmon said:

    The beat - DJ Signify had this cover of Soul Condor on his Signifying Breaks mix, if any one knows what I'm on about, is this the same sample? Weird 'Inca' acoustic guitar business...

    anyway, Kool Keith. Huge fan of his early work, he's always stayed true to himself (whichever self that is, dude seems a bit skitzo), but not really feeling this. Last thing that he did that I really liked, and still rate is this w/ MF Doom:


  • JuniorJunior 4,815 Posts
    I ride/rode for the Heltah Skeltah reunion album which I guess makes me a fan of Old Man Rap. I also still think that Kool G Rap could make another great album.

  • The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,185 Posts

  • MjukisMjukis 1,676 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Speaking of old man rap: I listened to some of that AG Everything's Berri stuff that the one Noz is so excited over, and couldn't see what the big deal was.

    Has anyone else checked (Or has it been posted in this thread? The clips are not showing up in my browser)?

    I got it from emusic today after seeing recommendations and hearing one or two youtube clips. I like it upon first listen, there's just something about the vibe of it that (to me) sets it apart from all the similar, dull old man raps releases. But most likely, if you don't like Marcberg, you won't like this.

  • MjukisMjukis 1,676 Posts
    Junior said:
    I also still think that Kool G Rap could make another great album.

    With direction and good production - he probably could.

  • gloomgloom 2,767 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    Junior said:
    I also still think that Kool G Rap could make another great album.

    With direction and good production - he probably could.

    rawse
Sign In or Register to comment.