Mike2600 Appreciation Thread.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
As I was posting this in the Dam Funk thread, I realized the man's talent is too big to be buried in someone else's thread.

Now I only actually met the man once, but he was a fun, friendly dude and just seemed to be an all-around good guy with decent karaoke skills. However, dude is a freakin' beast when it comes to artwork and DJing! From his graemlin contributions to his Freeway & Lyn Christopher buttons to his Soulstrut shirt design to his CLASSIC Heavy Sessions mixtape to his Things Kings Do and Monster Mash mixtapes with Otto to the flyer he designed for the anniversary of my weekly some 5-6 years ago (which I have framed) to the multiple mixes he's dropped online to the little quirky details/vocal samples that (I've heard) he adds to his live mixes that probably only a handful of people actually get but that's okay 'cause I think he probably only does it for those handful of people anyways to his countless shirt and concert poster/print designs like the Dam Funk one below I just bought off StonesThrow's site for $20 (yes, $20!) to his incredible remixes to his alphabet keychain series (some $50 later and I still can't spell my name out...damn blind boxes. Plus I still need that poster too!) to his burger Dunny which was straight up bitten (no pun intended) by the Walt Disney Company to his awesometastically delicious design blog to...shit, there's just waaaaaay to much to name. Dude's creativity and prolificness is off whatever chart they measure creativity and prolificness on!

Post your favorite and collect 'em all!

(That's me in there.)

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Plus he didn't design this but the website says it was his idea (file under: copped):

Seriously, who dreams up crazy dope ideas like this?! Mike The 2600 King, that's who.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I second every sentiment expressed. Mike is as nice and interesting as he is talented.

It's ingenious! Two different show flyers in one!

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I was just looking at his blog yesterday, and sent it to a designer friend. Never met him, but I'm always checkin' for him.

• DAMN you guys are too kind. Herm, you are that DEWD. Wow I'm humbled by all the kind words here and super happy to have an outlet to get to do all of this cool shit.

Oh and I did indeed design the pixelated logo shirt, but if anyone from N**e asks, shhhhhhhh...

Mike

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Great stuff, man,. Lovin all of it.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Herm said:
    Plus he didn't design this but the website says it was his idea (file under: copped):

Seriously, who dreams up crazy dope ideas like this?! Mike The 2600 King, that's who.

This is ill. Where can I order one?

markus71 said:
    Herm said:

This is ill. Where can I order one?

http://burlesquedesign.com/store.htm

How could I forget these?!

(I actually bit this idea for my little bday BBQ invite last year.)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Herm said:

SOI said:

i think this is instantly the best thing ive seen ever

... and Heavy Sessions is a top-3 all-time SS-related mix for me. that and Raj's Ca$h Play were on my dashboard for years.

• ART!!! really, really dig this one. can i order a print?

• Huge fan over here, check the blog on the regular and his mixes are always on heavy rotation. I want one of those eye-popping Dam Funk prints when they become available. I shed tears that the nike t and in fact all the t's are printed on Americal Apparel though.

pimlicosquirrel said:
    Huge fan over here, check the blog on the regular and his mixes are always on heavy rotation. I want one of those eye-popping Dam Funk prints when they become available. I shed tears that the nike t and in fact all the t's are printed on Americal Apparel though.

I feel you. Just order a size up!

Also, those Dam Funk prints ARE available!

http://www.stonesthrow.com/store/artwork/damfunk/troubador-mezzanine-silk-screened-poster

fishmongerfunk said:

ART!!! really, really dig this one. can i order a print?

It's here:

http://burlesquedesign.com/storeposters.htm

$25 (including shipping)

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    always wow

:face_melt:

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    His blog is great too!

http://somuchpileup.blogspot.com/

(if you like neat stamps and art noveauesque company logos that is)

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    This is not mike or mike's work, but I found it looking for something by him and it made me crack the f*ck up.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Straight up and down, Mike is that dude, nuff said!!! He's got the crazy crates, record knowledge, wit, and all around good-naturedness. He's a great asset to the 'Strut, and it's about damn time he got appreciated.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    wow...great work, totally awesome!!!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I've always been highly impressed by all of the things I've seen attached to the man's name. I appreciate!!!

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    MIke really is that dude!!!!!!!!! The handful of times I've ran into him around the city, he's been nothing but an awesome guy. Great dj, designer, super cool dude, etc, etc... Hardest working man in MPLS!!

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I always get compliments on this shirt, probably moreso in Chicago.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Hey,

Straight up and down, Mike is that dude, nuff said!!!

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    2600 top rankin

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    upskiboo said:
    wow...great work, totally awesome!!!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i am constantly blown away by the mans work, his blog is second to none (and has been recommended to me by three seperate design related friends, Aus, NZ and NL), the cover art he did for Day is a personal fav.

i wish id had more money round the Haiti heatrocks time as he was offering some AMAZING shit.

and i just copped one of those nike shirts.

a truly talanted dude.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Never met the dude but heard nothing but good about him. Just copped the Do It To It III CD last week and my macbook has been rocking Cazals and a Kangol ever since. I plan on copping many more things in the future.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I am a patron of his art:

Birthday Presents

New Alphabet Poster

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    dude's design work is what i'd like to achieve. i find myself routing back to his site for ideas and inspiration.
    always churning out quality work. always.

if i could be like mike...