SXSW 2008 - AUSTIN - WHO'S GOING?

catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Hey everyoneI have never been to Texas before but I will be going this year for SXSW ... I am performing with a group that I do production for called Grand Analog , I'll be playing keys with the band. I am very excited , as I've heard it is a crazy ass party.. we are playing on Saturday night and potentially another night as well , pending confirmation.... So who is reaching , whether performing or just checking out the festivities??Also , does anyone know the best place in Austin to rent gear? I need to somehow get my hands on a KORG MS2000 keyboard for the gig .. I can't bring the one I use up here (long story). shit , even if anyone in Austin has one they can rent me for one night that would be more than amazing.Anyhow... hit up this thread people!

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    If you're going to mess with Rock & Roll Rentals, I would advise doing as much prep as possible in advance. I'm sure they're going to be racked during SXSW. Also, last time I dealt with them (over a decade ago), they didn't F around when it comes to getting your credit info and all that crap. Back then, to open an account, you needed a bill in your name, proper ID, a reference... It was thorough. I remember waiting around like an hour for this - just short of taking my fingerprints and fondling my nutz, making me turn and cough...

You might also try to holler at some folks down there to see if you can rent / borrow equipment.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'm trying to get down there for the film component, won't know for a week or so if my work has the $$$ to send me...

I went once for the music events, was only a so-so experience; I was hoping it was going to be a great festival for music-lovers and didn't realize how much it's a festival geared to music industry peeps.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'll be down there for a showcase. i was trying to put together a soulstrut party, but it died on the vine. if anyone has any other music related money making opportunities, please to holler.

• delay, what happened? No support? That's too bad.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Yeah. Tommy, thanks for stepping up, but it's just impossible to do all this organization with everybody everywhere, and me not being in Austin. Apparently they're swamped and expecting 2x the attendance of last year. needless to say, not the most organized of festivals.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    The job is sending me. Folks holler.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    we definitely need to have a big soulstrut dinner. sign in here...

we definitely need to have a big soulstrut dinner. sign in here...

nametags?

Yeah. Tommy, thanks for stepping up, but it's just impossible to do all this organization with everybody everywhere, and me not being in Austin. Apparently they're swamped and expecting 2x the attendance of last year. needless to say, not the most organized of festivals.

The festival is very organized. It's the sideshow freak circus that's now probably bigger than the festival itself that's unorganized.

This will be the first year in 5 years that I don't have to do a damned thing SXSW-related...thank God.

• a soulstrut poarty. j'yeah

• I'm going, first time...

• Me and Mike will be there as part of a showcase on the 15th.. as of now it looks like he'll be making an appearance as part of the Ubiquity show with Darondo. Would love to hook up with everybody.

• how are much are tickets anyway?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Badges are around $600 for the music conference. Wristbands go for around $120 usually and don't guarantee entrance into any shows because people with badges get in first.

http://2008.sxsw.com/register_to_attend/

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    how are much are tickets anyway?

i'm sure harvey or matt sonzeezy would have info on this (as well as the sxsw website). typically the wristbands range from 100-150 depending on when you get them. they may be higher this year though.

the badges i think cost 300+ a Frickin' arm or something.

i am going again this year, and have no plans on buying any wristbands or badges. i used to live in austin and do the sxsw thing all the time, so i already knew that having a wristband didn't guarantee your ass shit anyway.

also, there is so many free events (day & night time) that you will likely see the bands you want playing a free show

i will definitely make it to the MM show though. that would be nice. hopefully i'll link up with a few SS folks while down there.

• DurtDurt 9 Posts
    I'm going (to be standing outside), gotta be a damn and have lots of time to stand in line to get in to a good show. Seriously though I may know some of the security guards at a couple venues so who knows, I might get in.

I know I am new to SS and all, but if there is a SS meet-up please let me know I would like to meet some of the heads around here.

• During the day I'll be at Flatstock sellin' posters. Thursday night I (and hopefully all of you) will be here:

• Me and Mike will be there as part of a showcase on the 15th.. as of now it looks like he'll be making an appearance as part of the Ubiquity show with Darondo. Would love to hook up with everybody.

Just to clarify - Mike won't be performing, but he'll be making his first stage appearance and will be signing books and hanging out.

• Have they released an official schedule yet? I can't find one on the site.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    Stef and me are going, shit is gonna be hella fun

• My business partner and I will be putting on a few parties. Details later.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    FLATSTOCK!

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    The job is (hopefully) sending me.

Did you really just call a wristband a bracelet?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Haha.

I'll be there, doing all sorts of events for hipsters and non-hipsters alike.

I'll also be in Austin this Saturday: first spinning Black Power Anthems at The Parish for the Brand Nubian show, and afterwards on the late night spinning cocaine-booty jams for hipsters that don't like hip-hop at Beauty Bar.

I just got my plane ticket. Deciding whether to buy a bracelet or just pay show-by-show. Any ideas? I realized at CMJ this year that it'd be a lot cheaper just to pay show-by-show than to buy a badge, even if you were doing a lot of show-hopping. (Glad someone else paid for the badge.) So if a wristband doesn't guarantee you entry, is it better in any way than paying show-by-show?

Badges are priority #1
    wristband are priority #2
    Cash sales are priority #3

If you plan on catching some hot new act during a SXSW showcase, prepare to not get in at all without a wristband. Wristbands still don't get in to events a lot of the time.

Haha.

I'll be there, doing all sorts of events for hipsters and non-hipsters alike.

I'll also be in Austin this Saturday: first spinning Black Power Anthems at The Parish for the Brand Nubian show, and afterwards on the late night spinning cocaine-booty jams for hipsters that don't like hip-hop at Beauty Bar.

I'd like to come and see you with Brand Nubian this weekend...but if I'm going out anywhere that night, it'll be here:

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm going, first time...

Shit is about to be on. I get in Thursday night just in time for Cosmo, Mike and urrybody. Too bad Ayres couldn't make it this year. I'll have to cockpunch someone so he can be there in spirit.

I'll have to cockpunch someone so he can be there in spirit.

So should I be prepared to walk around Austin all week covering my jawns?