Nice & Smooth Appreciation Post

13»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I guess those classic groups are fine as long as they stay in their place of the past, and any more current artists with a sound that carries on that tradition have no place anywhere?

Carrying on the tradition shouldn't equal emulating the sound, though--not when part of the tradition is innovation.

Can you name an example of a more current artist who, in your opinion, carries or carried on the traditional sound yet was / is not emulating it?

Dem Franchize Boyz

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I guess those classic groups are fine as long as they stay in their place of the past, and any more current artists with a sound that carries on that tradition have no place anywhere?

Carrying on the tradition shouldn't equal emulating the sound, though--not when part of the tradition is innovation.

Can you name an example of a more current artist who, in your opinion, carries or carried on the traditional sound yet was / is not emulating it?

Why should that be considered a virtue?

Blues-rock bands were the shit in the 60s-early 70s but those peddling that sound in the 80s/90s would come off as lame and corny.

• Selling unreleased vintage recordings for a hundred bucks a 12 is the 27th element of that real schitt

Works for me!

Hey, I ain't mad! Get that yaper

The real truth is that after expenses on a pressing of just 100 copies there really isn't much yaper being made. It's all for the collectros, man. Trust me.

• I guess those classic groups are fine as long as they stay in their place of the past, and any more current artists with a sound that carries on that tradition have no place anywhere?

Dem Franchize Boyz

Okay, I'm out. You guys carry on- anyone wish to type up what you think my response would be to that, be my guest.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    anyone wish to type up what you think my response would be to that, be my guest.

• anyone wish to type up what you think my response would be to that, be my guest.

naw, man... that would be my response a looooong time ago, like 2004 or 2005. like rap music, my soulstrut posting style changes with time. this is a new era- GET FAMILIAR

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    http://download.yousendit.com/21737C9C28A204A8

Boogie Down Bronx/BK Connection

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Make sure you get it on cd, though (sorry, soulstrut)--the "No Bones" remix is non-negotiable.

Please somebody upload this song for me.

Here ya go hommie:

Nice and Smooth - "No Bones" remix

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Thanks

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    They're the Dipset of their era. Rappers that are so bad they're brilliant.

Nothing bad about Nice & Smooth, unless you're using the "bad meaning good" definition, that is.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Why should that be considered a virtue?

Blues-rock bands were the shit in the 60s-early 70s but those peddling that sound in the 80s/90s would come off as lame and corny.

I think that depends. The kind of retro stylings where all the effort is expended on ticking the boxes on a pre-ordained checklist of stylistic signifiers is boring as shit to me personally, no matter what the musical idiom. I'm definitely feeling some of this nuevo blues-rock shit when it's done with a bit of flair and imagination, and a nod to what's happening now. I saw this trio from Colorado opening for the Who this summer, Rose Hill Drive, and they nailed that 70's power trio style while bringing something of their own to the table as well.

To bring it back to hip-hop, Jurassic 5's records are usually kinda uneven to me, but live they do a great job of capturing the vibe of that old-school, pass-the-mic, ensemble style; likewise Saian Supa Crew in France. I've not seen either for a while, but a few years back, they both used to be good value for an entertaining evening. Their records very rarely manage to capture that vibe, though.

• Two of the greatest entertainers to grace a stage.

Absolutely. I went to see Slick Rick in Amsterdam on my birthday last year, but we rolled into the venue to find out he'd missed the plane or something. I wasn't best pleased, then out of the corner of my eye I saw the unmistakable silhouette of Teddy Tedd step to the turntables. My friend didn't believe me (whats up Bart!) but then completely unannounced & unadvertised, Greg Nice strolled on with an "I Heart Pussy" cap cocked at a jaunty angle, followed a few minutes later by Smooth B - who's now the size of a tank - sporting an orange cable-knit jumper (nothing underneath) and cornrows. They proceeded to absolutely rip the whole place apart like no-one I???ve seen since Hijack circa '91 (), then stepped straight down into the crowd to scoop up the local lovelies and dance to '80s soul classics for the rest of the night.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Smooth B is underated IMO.

One of the most memorable shows I've seen was Nice & Smooth/Gangstarr/Masta Ace @ some fuckin New Jersey high sckool gymnasium. Shit was bananas.
    I dont own any of their lps after the first one. Whenever I need a jolt of the boogie down shit, I pop their lp on just to remind myself how its supposed to be done.

PIMPIN' AINT EASY

• i appreciate Nice & Smooth

• I saw the unmistakable silhouette of Teddy Tedd step to the turntables.

They're still rollin' with the awesome 2?

• Just recently revisited Nice N Smooth ain't a damn thing changed...I forgot how classic this is....Run the Line, Sex Sex Sex, hip hop junkies, paranoia, sometimes I rhyme slow.....do yourself a favor and listen again!!!!