RECORD STORE WORKERS POLL: WORST COLLECTRO TYPE?

13»

Comments

• Just for the record (as a customer), when I find stuff like that, if I don't buy I generally refile it correctly (someone make an anal retentive/passive agressive graemlin plaese...)

Me too, and I also push the records back if they've slipped down. I did this before working in a shop, but moreso after, don't treat 'em like shit just 'coz you ain't buying.

Bit of a specific one this, but Drunk dudes who ruin all the groundwork I was laying in chatting up the sexy teacher training college girl from up the road, by practically mauling her in his efforts to get me to notice him.

I got my own back albeit unknowingly as I sent him to the wrong bin because I couldn't understand his slurred speech and he came back 4 weeks running, looking in that wrong bin.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I get this almost daily - "so how is everything organized? is it alphabetical ?'

First off couldn't you just look really quick and tell that its alphabetized? And second off, where is the record store that files stuff backwards from Z to A ?

Then after you say "yes, everything is alphabetized" everytime they'll say, where's the Metallica (or whatever band) I just wanna say, right in the middle of the alphabet between L and N dipshit.

• here's another choice tidbit from the email:

I hope you can grow and mature as a person and
    find new pleasures to turn you on,
    but I've "been there done that" and I'm still growing.

Please please please email this guy and tell him about soulstrut. I'd love to see his reaction to this thread.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm surprised there haven't been any stories about the Soundtrack Collector. I've met a few over the years that have been total lunatics.

We used to have this older gentleman who came to the Dallas Shows, dressed in suit and tie, and everytime he found an LP he wanted to look at he would take out a white linen glove and a clean(I assumed) hankercheif so that his hands never touched the vinyl.

The inspection this dude gave a record was beyond anal retentive.

Saw the guy for about 10 years, never saw him buy a single record.

• Soundtrack Collector..

yeah, there is a father & son team
    from first city who have traveled all over,
    they combine 3-4 of the categories mentioned in this thread
    (i have this, i found this for - ,
    do you have anything rare,
    runs thru inventory he's seen at the last 6 stores)

• Jonathan,
    I suggest the following- you mail me the two records tomorrow and
    I do the same for you, and we call it a day.
    It is not healthy for me nor for you for things to go on this way, and
    this time you really have pushed me over the limit and gone too far. I
    will put it bluntly, I more than do not like you I can no longer
    tolerate you.

• you got me Hogg. Me and Breihan, we're through. THROUGH!

• you got me Hogg. Me and Breihan, we're through. THROUGH!

Oh, I thought the letter was from the guy in the vintage Polo.

• jonny please tell soulstrut what the crazy email guy did to a dude who insulted his favorite prog band

PLAESE

• Punched him in the motherfunking face, that's what!

• Hey,I had to do what I had to do. Nobody disses Greenslade and gets away with it.

• My current favorite are the people who see an add that we buy records, call in, and having given me no other information than the fact that they have an unnamed quantity of records they would like to get rid of, ask me "So how much will you give me for them?" Oh yeah dude, we pay exactly $250, for any amount of records, of any sort, in any condition. Bring 'em on down.

I also once had a dude who brought in a box of records all of which were practically mildewed together into one big glob, which he told me he FOUND IN THE DUMPSTER. When, in an act act of magnanimous generosity I offered him 50 cents each for the four hendrix records therein, his girl friend had to physically restrain him from getting violent with me. I don't know man, two bucks seems like a pretty tidy profit on an afternoon dumpster dive to me, especially when measured out in cans of Colt .45.

• I guess it's understandable when compared to some small facet of weirdo collectro-ism I know nothing at all about, but it just kills me, the idea that people seem to have that records are collectable in and of themselves. Not good records, rare records, or clean records, just RECORDS period.

I love picturing some dude sitting on a mountain of records, just piles upon piles of crap, who can't sustain his lust for pure VINYL, so that when any quantity of black plastic is made public, the swarm descends, as if there is a world wide shortage of music on wax.