instrumental hip-hop idols...where are they?

2»

Comments

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    I think Daedelus is on some shit,and I don't hear his name too often, at least 'Exquisite Corpse' is amazing

I saw dude at the ICA in London and he had this box! I wish I had a pic, it was about 8 inches by eight inches across, maybe 200 LED lights , and they all lit up in patterns across the front (it was angled towards the audience) and he was playing it, it was a combined mixing board, sampler, drum machine. he would tap the LEDs or twist em to change the setting..wild. he could manipulate elements within a song, or between elements in another song with mad precision. It was theatrically effective too..

afterwards my girl had him sign the LP I had picked up at the entrance, she asked him about the box and he told her it didn't exist (!)

• slushslush 691 Posts
    the box is actually called "the box"

created by this LA cat, only a few were made. its mesmerizing

my vote for instrumental hip hop (hahahahahahah) is DJ Take. Dude makes very clean and lovely beats. sparse but still complex. one of his 12's also has a remix from mr supreme, if that at all entices

• Dediliss and Dabrye some of those Ghostly doods.
    Maker and Meaty / G4 Kids (They both have records coming out this month on Bully).
    Alias, Jel, Controller7 / Anticon affliated kids (yeah, say what you like...).
    Cut Chemist (I think Lukas is crimnally slept on, and obviously has a deep knowlege of a lot of shit, and think he should cough up his copy of The Feed-Back to me).
    Dj Day is real badass, as are a lot of other cats on this board [hey fuckers, send me some shit, maybe we can put something out for you...]
    Shiro.
    DJ Signify.
    Blockhead.
    ET4.
    JoeBeats.
    Omega.
    My own dick (Sixtoo).

if anyone is into any of this (or ninja or whatever) shit they should check out our little 7" label, limited handmade runs or what we think doesn't suck.
    http://www.bullyrecords.com/

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

The Dj Day record is off the hook. on some shit.

ooo. where can i d/l this.

just kidding. how bout some info, day groupies??
    or would he rather not sell units and stay

This just recently dropped:

Good luck finding a copy, though. I heard King Moist bought damn near every copy so he could wallpaper his home with the LP cover.

Herm

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Alias, Jel, Controller7 / Anticon affliated kids (yeah, say what you like...)

I really liked Jels album 10 seconds and the Meat & Oil EP, and this is coming from someone who can't stand the Anticon stuff usually.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    My bet is that there really won't be widespread mainstream acceptance of instrumental hip hop, seems like 90% of the listening public just views the music as something to fill the spaces while you wait for the vocalist to start singing again.

Too bad, I'm an avid consumer of the stuff, my 7" collection is brimming with releases from Memphix, Bully, Re-Hash, etc.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

You all are too kind (forrilla) and Herm that pic is killing it!

On a related note, I met the director of programming for Music Choice and when he asked me what kind of music I made I didn't exactly know what to say, so I said "err..instrumental hip hop". Dude just said "oh." and started talking to someone else.

That term has a negative connotation to some people (who want to make $).

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Yeah exactly..there is maker and another name that comes to mind that everybody is loving ala rj is blockhead

I mean if anything labels like ninja tune seem to be holding on to the instrumental artist thing.

Props to bonobo in that regard.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Wait...you never saw the others?! I was pretty proud of those pieces and NOBODY commented on 'em! As the great DJ Daze would say....."Boo! (I know King T)."

Herm

• dextahdextah 77 Posts
    i like to take this oppurtunity to shamelessly promote my new 7"......

instrumental hip hop on a slab o'wax

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The search for the next big thing in instrumental hip-hop has been going on for a minute.

• GB is funny.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Have a listen to some of the stuff hosted here -

Labels like Cookshop, GPS, Bastard Jazz, Carbon Imprints etc etc.

All keeping the faith.

http://www.beathut.com/

Check Lost Idol on Cookshop for probably my favourite material.

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts

On a related note, I met the director of programming for Music Choice and when he asked me what kind of music I made I didn't exactly know what to say, so I said "err..instrumental hip hop". Dude just said "oh." and started talking to someone else.

That term has a negative connotation to some people (who want to make $).

I often find the term downtempo used interchangeably with instrumental hip hop.
    Do you all think this is accurate, or would downtempo just be a subset of IHH?

I was really feeling that Ovid Monolith LP when it came out.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    this track is on my 12"...

Devil MIX LIVE!

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I think most cats getting into production are trying to be the next Scott Storch, not the next RJD2, you know?

It's so funny....that comment would have meant something so COMPLETELY different when i was in 8th grade. If you would have followed that up by saying that Storch was gonna work on a Fat Joe album Jealous Ones Envy wouldn't have dripped nearly as much grime. Huh. And thats not even bringing RJD2 into the picture..ha.

• What has Mumbles been up to lately? And Molasses? (I forget exactly how he spells his alias)

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I would put Day in a separate category... composition based hip hop. That's where I think this needs to go for it to reach the next level. Moody loop based beats just don't hold up by themselves enough to take off. I hear a Day track and I hear a song, not a beat. I hear a lot of the artists mentioned here and I hear a beat. Beats are great, don't get me wrong, but they need some substance.

DJ Ferrari