Favorite Prince Covers

coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
I was listening to Cyndi Lauper's version of "When You Were Mine" (she didn't change the words, either! ) and was wondering what Prince cover songs people like...My favorites:

I Feel For You - Chaka Khan
Beautiful Ones - Mariah Carey and Sisqo

I'm not crazy about "Nothing Compares 2 U," but everyone else seems to love it.

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    you ever hear that Yo La Tengo side project called Dump? They have an album called something like "the skinny motherfucker with a highpitched voice" or somethin. Buncha cool Prince covers.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    you ever hear that Yo La Tengo side project called Dump? They have an album called something like "the skinny motherfucker with a highpitched voice" or somethin. Buncha cool Prince covers.

My curiosity is piqued...Has anyone heard the George Clinton cover of "Erotic City?"

oh yeah, Dump have this other record called "a grown ass man" featuring a dope cover of Mr Too Damn Good by Gerald Levert. Jyeah!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Limp Bizkit's version of "1999", yo! Seriously, Ginuwine's "When Doves Cry" is cool. I heard that there's a CD of orchestral Prince covers

Mr Too Damn Good by Gerald Levert

Ha! I ain't gon' be pressin' you or stressin' you to make love...This reminds me that I need to find a copy of "No Sex in the Champagne Room."

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    d'angelo's "she's always in my hair" is nice, if somewhat by the numbers.

bonus points for b-sideism

Limp Bizkit's version of "1999", yo!

Does they really do this? That's like, sacrilege.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    My curiosity is piqued...Has anyone heard the George Clinton cover of "Erotic City?"

Not that good, to be honest. It came out as a single, and... eh.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Love "I Feel For You" by Chaka
    and I LIKE Sinead's "Nothing Compares 2U" but LOVE the Family's version of it

and I don't know if it qualifies(since I have never heard Prince do either song) but "Sugar Walls" by Sheena Easton(what the fuck was with her and Prince? Can anyone shed some light?) and "Manic Monday" by the Bangles(obviously Prince was crushing on Susannah Hoffs pretty bad-I remember he played with them on several occasions at the time as well).

Not that good, to be honest. It came out as a single, and... eh.

Thanks, you just saved my knees from a few hours of random faux_digging.

and I don't know if it qualifies(since I have never heard Prince do either song) but "Sugar Walls" by Sheena Easton(what the fuck was with her and Prince? Can anyone shed some light?) and "Manic Monday" by the Bangles(obviously Prince was crushing on Susannah Hoffs pretty bad-I remember he played with them on several occasions at the time as well).

by the same token, most all of Sheila E's solo shit, but mostly "The Glamorous Life" and "A Love Bizarre"

I'm thinking of covers. One that I thought was boring, even if it was a B-side, was Alicia Keys' "How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore". Living Colour's version of "17 Days" is only worth it for the guitar work.

I thought the way TLC did "If I Was Your Girlfriend" was cool, as it was a woman with a low voice singing the part of Camille.

Pansy Divison did a cover of "Jack U Off" that wasn't too bad (although having to see a guy in denim shorts with his balls hanging out on the picture sleeve wasn't so cool, but then again, they were Pansy Division).

AYO!!!

Yeah, there are definitely the OG Prince tunes and then there are the protege classics. I'm a big fan of "Nasty Girl" myself...Which reminds me, I kindasortlike how Eminem used Martika's "Toy Soldiers."

Yeah, there are definitely the OG Prince tunes and then there are the protege classics. I'm a big fan of "Nasty Girl" myself...Which reminds me, I kindasortlike how Eminem used Martika's "Toy Soldiers."

Totally forgot "Nasty Girl" which I play whenever I have a dance crowd who wants Prince but doesn't know the difference. That and "The Bird" by the Time.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

It was one of those corny MTV New Years shindigs

Seriously, Ginuwine's "When Doves Cry" is cool.

I was surprised by that one too (it's on the B-side to "I'll Do Anything/I'm Sorry").

It was one of those corny MTV New Years shindigs

Damn, did I really write "does?" My sleeping pill must kicking in. Haha!

My mind isn't working right now, had to cheat and go to The Covers Project:
    http://coversproject.com/artist/prince

I have heard the cover of "Blue Light" by a Hawaiian group called Ho'onu'a, done Jawaiian style (which would make sense, since Prince's one had a reggae flavor to it).

It says Herbie Hancock did "Thieves In The Temple". I'd like to hear that one.

Me too...that's one of Prince's most underrated tunes.

You want to talk about underrated? How about "So Dark" from Crystal Ball? I may play it at my wedding for the irony factor.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    I would have liked to hear Elliott Smith cover "Crazy U"

Especially the extended version? The extra six minutes makes the song even better.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    there was an "darling nikki" by these guys

You want to talk about underrated? How about "So Dark" from Crystal Ball? I may play it at my wedding for the irony factor.

Is there some announcement I missed?

Anyway, I confess complete ignorance of "Crystal Ball"....will my New Power Generation card now be revoked(at least the for the Soulstrut Special Friend East Coast Prince-Appreciation Chapter)?

Wait, Mr. "What's New Pussycat?" did a cover or "Kiss?" I think this game is over.

Wait, Mr. "What's New Pussycat?" did a cover or "Kiss?" I think this game is over.

It was a hit in England, teaming him up with Art Of Noise.

I can't believe I forgot this, and seriously can't believe you never heard it. Tom Jones ENCORES with "Kiss" and "Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny"can't wash Prince's Drawers" Kravitz.

Is there some announcement I missed?

Anyway, I confess complete ignorance of "Crystal Ball"....will my New Power Generation card now be revoked(at least the for the Soulstrut Special Friend East Coast Prince-Appreciation Chapter)?

No on both accounts...I'm always talking about this nebulous wedding that I'm going to have in a few years, fiancee or not. Wedding talk is like kryptonite for faux_rillz.

It was a hit in England, teaming him up with Art Of Noise.

It was a comeback left-field MTV hit in the US too!