What were your landmark / gateway LPs?

tabiratabira 856 Posts
edited January 2011 in Strut Central
So what are the LPs that took you to the next level?

Got me into all jazz-related music in general - Crusaders Southern Comfort

Got me into Jazz-rock fusion in particuler - Joe Henderson Power to the People

Got me paying over 100$ on a single LP and seeing that as totally rational: AEOC Stances ?? Sophie
«1

  Comments


  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts


    At age 17, when I went off to college, my pops gave me this cassette.

    It was a baptism of sorts for Jazz.

  • freshman year in college, I heard the title track and was blown away by the power in the drumming and the overall vibe...instant jazz fan after hearing this

  • marumaru 1,450 Posts


    This one changed my world forever


  • picked this up on a whim on cd when i was 12 because it was on sale. it opened my ears up to instrumental music and inspired me to want to play guitar.


  • FOR JAZZ: to me, nothing beats Marcus Belgrave's Gemini ll lp. i just decided it is my favourite jazz record.
    FOR HIP HOP: to me, Freestyle Fellowship's Innercity Griots was so influential on my young life.
    FOR Soul: Al Green's I"m Still In Love With You just gets me, and my girl.
    FOR FUNK: Meters S/T just hands down, the dopest shit.
    FOR Rock: Can Ege Bamyasi just hands down, the dopest shit
    FOR Pop: Michael Jackson Thriller: just goes to show an artist can be around for 12+ yrs, reform themselves over again, and influence the world (obviously with the right help: Quincy Jones) at the highest level possible.
    FOR World/Latin or Afro: i'm gonna put Nico Gomez 'Ritual' as a beathead, it's just so thick and sounds so great. I just pulled it out again after a few years and it blew me away.

  • facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    First piece of music I ever purchased:



  • pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    batmon said:


    At age 17, when I went off to college, my pops gave me this cassette.

    It was a baptism of sorts for Jazz.

    Strangely enough, when I first got into Thelonious Monk, this was the album I bought too (and I loved it).

    Not that I was intentionally seeking this LP out, it just happened to be the one Monk record they had in the store that day.

  • pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    This album here: was my gateway drug to Latin music, in the late eighties. It's an anthology called We Got Latin Soul, and was issued on Caliente, a subsidiary of Charly.

    I wasn't really checking for this kind of music up to then, although I liked the occasional R&B/latin/jazz cut that I'd heard on dusties shows, like Mongo Santamaria's "Watermelon Man" and Joe Cuba's "Bang Bang."

    But I didn't pursue it farther until somebody told me about this anthology, which contained "Bang Bang," plus a bunch of other Latin tracks with a soulful feel, from the vaults of the Tico and Fania labels.

    Since that day in October 1988, I've been on the bandwagon (although Lord knows this stuff wasn't easy to find in Chicago for years).

  • p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts


    hearing a friend's older sister's copy of this (and specifially "the Message" by Cymande and "Scorpio"...) when i was 14 made me realize there was a whole world of funky stuff other than James Brown or Aretha...

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts








  • tabiratabira 856 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    This album here: was my gateway drug to Latin music, in the late eighties. It's an anthology called We Got Latin Soul, and was issued on Caliente, a subsidiary of Charly.

    I wasn't really checking for this kind of music up to then, although I liked the occasional R&B/latin/jazz cut that I'd heard on dusties shows, like Mongo Santamaria's "Watermelon Man" and Joe Cuba's "Bang Bang."

    But I didn't pursue it farther until somebody told me about this anthology, which contained "Bang Bang," plus a bunch of other Latin tracks with a soulful feel, from the vaults of the Tico and Fania labels.

    Since that day in October 1988, I've been on the bandwagon (although Lord knows this stuff wasn't easy to find in Chicago for years).

    Compilations were central to getting wind of stuff back in the late 80s in London when record stores and radio were a joke. Nothing pre 1979 was in print or broadcast unless it was by Paul Mccartney and Wings and had already seen a previous UK issue. I was picking up clues to all this mysterious US "rare groove" via obscure compilation LPs and pirate radio featuring music that had never even seen the light of day in the UK. I remember one comp, I think it was called "Focus on Fusion Vol I", that introduced me to Patrice Rushen Haw Rght Now, Johnny Hammond Les Conquistadores Chocolates and Rustry Bryant Friday Night Funk. It was like music from another planet .....

  • BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    It's too many to mention but here are 3 that played a major part:
    Pink Floyd - The Wall (My dads influence)
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (My Grandfather's influence)
    Kiss - Destroyer (My brother's influence)

  • discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts





  • DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,921 Posts


    Bought it when it came out in 1980 because I liked The Breaks and couldn't find a copy of the 12" single. I saw all these unfamiliar names listed in the shout-outs, like DJ Run (Son Of Kurtis Blow), Lovebug Starski, Kool DJ Herc, Busy Bee and Grandmaster Flash. A few months later, I was in another record store and saw a bunch of records by this Grandmaster Flash dude and some group called the Furious 5. I remembered his name from the Kurtis Blow liner notes and thought, "OK, these must be rap records - I wonder if they're any good?" I copped them on spec. They were Freedom and The Birthday Party. I saw that Great Rap Hits compilation with Spoonin' Rap, Funk You Up and some other shit on it in the same rack. I thought, "Fuck it - in for a penny, in for a pound", so I went ahead and copped that too. Been listening to rap ever since.

  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,518 Posts
    Great topic.
    Before I was ten:
    Pete Seeger, Industrial Songs
    Leadbelly Library of Congress

    About 13:
    Robert Johnson King Of Delta Blues Singers
    Phil Ochs I Aint A Marchin Any More

    About 15:
    Mississippi John Hurt Essential
    Elizabeth Cotten Negro Folk Songs
    BB King Live At The Regal
    Donovan Greatest Hits
    Beatles Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road
    Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Will The Circle BE Unbroken
    2 lp gospel collection on Columbia from John Hammond Collection with Dorothy Love Coates

    About 19:
    Bob Wills - Anthology

    About 23:
    Meters, Cabbage Alley, Greatest on Island, Rejuvination
    Wild Tchoupitoulas
    Sam Cooke Hits
    James Brown Golden Hits

    ^These are the records that really shaped my listening and that I absolutely wore out.

    I came slowly to jazz. I entered through big band (Basie, Ellington) and vocalists (Holiday, Lambert Hendricks and Ross, Fitzgerald). And bluesy stuff (Timmons, Jimmy Smith, Joe Williams, Ramsey Lewis). Today I listen to any thing and everything and like most of it. For Be bop, straight ahead, free, avante... It was really listening to great performers live that was my landmark moments.

    Dan

  • AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts

  • OkemOkem 4,617 Posts


    I remember when I was very young I over heard some older boys talking about this record. As soon as I could I went to the library and rented it & Licensed to Ill out.
    I didn't particularly like Licensed to Ill, and 3ft didn't make a huge impression on me. I think I still listened to my Bobby Brown & Salt'n'Peper lps more. I was probably just too young to really appreciate it. But I knew it was something kinda special so I didn't give up on it - or chuck my bootlegged home-tapped copy of it out - eventually I grew to love it.




    This was probably the record that got me open to jazz.




    Obviously not an lp. But this is the record that got me into digging. I'd been buying/collecting records for a while, but this is the first record I tracked down.

  • DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Rap


    Soul/Funk


    Rock

  • fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    as a kid i used to go to my uncle and aunt at the hollidays.
    he was a dj in a danceschool and had in my eyes the biggest collection i ever seen.
    in there where


    and

    along with hendrix and led zepp
    i got to make mixtapes of the songs i loved.
    he really got me into music


  • This started my rap/hip hop horizons to expand beyond tribe called quest, Gang Starr, and De La Soul^^^

    When I was a kid and listening to our boring elevator jazz station in the car, they played a night in tunisia and I recognized it from Gang Starr's jazzamatazz. Now when people ask me how and why i got into jazz i hum, badadada dum dum badadada dum dum... My Jazz journey started at that moment but didn't reach full blown addiction until i heard this....


    unbelievably good^^^^


    Brakhage blew my mind when i first heard it and i subsequently sought out most of their material from there.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts


    Playgrounds - ZOOM TV Cast.

    Not a Gateway album per se, but in nursury school, they would play this for us.
    Somehow my mommy was able to acquire the record from the school.
    My sister and I would sing to this shit(I still do at 40), while it played on her Bugs Bunny portable rekkid player.

    I still have it to this day and have copped 4 sealed joints just for collectro vanity reasons.

    Just a good ole' Kids record from a bygone era.

    Shit comes w/ a poster, decals, and a sing-a-long lyrics booklet.

    MY SHIT.

  • spivyspivy 866 Posts


    i bought this on cassette, the week it came out, in 1991 on a friends recommendation. i was 12 at the time and my mind was certified blown. all the crazy samples on this record had me hooked. i went thru my dads record collection and had a revelation of sorts when i stumbled on the rare earth records he had. all break heavy and full of loud guitars. i though they were some super underground thing. the 45s had that awesome rare earth label art. more or less what got me into records.

  • pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    batmon said:


    Playgrounds - ZOOM TV Cast.

    Not a Gateway album per se, but in nursury school, they would play this for us.
    Somehow my mommy was able to acquire the record from the school.
    My sister and I would sing to this shit(I still do at 40), while it played on her Bugs Bunny portable rekkid player.

    I still have it to this day and have copped 4 sealed joints just for collectro vanity reasons.

    Just a good ole' Kids record from a bygone era.

    Shit comes w/ a poster, decals, and a sing-a-long lyrics booklet.

    MY SHIT.
    Not to get too off-topic, but that was the best cast, too - probably because it was the first? Never really adjusted to the subsequent casts. Was really happy to see some of Season 1 turn up on Youtube, since no one is reissuing it on DVD. As far as this record itself, I never owned it, but I do remember that the ads used to run on TV all the time.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:


    Playgrounds - ZOOM TV Cast.

    Not a Gateway album per se, but in nursury school, they would play this for us.
    Somehow my mommy was able to acquire the record from the school.
    My sister and I would sing to this shit(I still do at 40), while it played on her Bugs Bunny portable rekkid player.

    I still have it to this day and have copped 4 sealed joints just for collectro vanity reasons.

    Just a good ole' Kids record from a bygone era.

    Shit comes w/ a poster, decals, and a sing-a-long lyrics booklet.

    MY SHIT.
    Not to get too off-topic, but that was the best cast, too - probably because it was the first? Never really adjusted to the subsequent casts. Was really happy to see some of Season 1 turn up on Youtube, since no one is reissuing it on DVD. As far as this record itself, I never owned it, but I do remember that the ads used to run on TV all the time.

    There's a second LP w/ what looks like the second or third season cast w/ the girl who folds her arms all tricky like.
    It's way more kid-friendly. The first one is a mix of Funky-lite w/ kid songs.

    But yeah - the OG cast is the best.

  • dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,448 Posts
    my dad had a ton of Art Pepper records. This is why it took me over 20 years to enjoy jazz. (rebel-R)

    my brother always played this. I heard it through the wall:

    I cannot stand ac/dc now.

    I bought this one:
    desert island disc.

  • dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,448 Posts
    whoa that pic is supposed to be dirty deeds done dirt cheap, not master of puppets.

    I rethought "gateway" and changed it to the ac/dc.

  • dammsdamms 704 Posts
    OutKast's Aquemini left a strong mark on me
Sign In or Register to comment.