I MUST CRY (KPM SCORE RELATED)

edited November 18 in Strut Central

From a private fb group of editing pro's I am in... I missed my own KPM mini-score by a day. He gave them away for nothing. Somebody familiar with KPM LP covers make me feel better by telling me that only the green labels are worth anything. Right?!

I know I have access to these digitally in the EMI library now that they own KPM, but somebody already knowledged tell me these are 80s dreck. Please! Tell me they're chud I couldn't even unload easily! Fuck!

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,443 Posts
    I know I have access to these digitally in the EMI library now that they own KPM, but somebody already knowledged tell me these are 80s dreck. 

Damn. It depends - could be from a listening experience that it was 2 boxes of chud. From a sampling/DJing perspective, you kind of imagine that at the very least there would've been some decent sounds if not good tracks. Tough miss. Feels.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 2,778 Posts
    Here's a track from "Futures"

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I spent hours looking through a lot more than two large boxes of mostly early 80s libraries early this year. I was very selective even at a few bucks per record and the ability to listen beforehand. "Science class safety video" vibes on many on them. At best, you will get a one-tracker that is at most 2 minutes long. Even a green KPM isn't a guarantee of anything worthwhile. 
    Duderonomy

• From the handful of spines visible I see no green label series, but I can't help but wonder. Any big batch of library has me wondering if there's one or two that'd pay the bills. But you're right, from what little you can see, it's unlikely two boxes of that sort of 80s stuff would be extending far back into the KPM grail years. It's some old-timer TV techie guy's closet clearout so it'd be weird to have such a date range. Still, the price was right ($0)...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,654 Posts
    A lot of the 80s libraries are super sought after now by the synth heads (but no KPMs come to mind)....especially if they feature the Bastow brothers or Hawkshaw.  

I know I'm kicking myself for passing up 80s Bruton libraries back in the day for cheap because they were no "breaks".  Now a lot of those records push the $100 range.

Eventually, the 80s nostalgia kicks in.

• I was sure Alan Hawkshaw had been on some 80s KPM but he certainly was mostly on Bruton in those years. I looked it up and it looks like there's one '86 KPM release, Power, at least.