Voodoo Funk™

FrankFrank 2,386 Posts
edited November 19 in Strut Central

So the same week the release of this copilation here is being announced...

... I receive this certificate from the German Patent & Trademark Office:

What makes this so delicious is that the owner of the record label once threatened to sue me for some Poly Rythmo tracks I had years earlier published in mixes on my music blog, perhaps even inspired by said mixes this person had then gone and licensed some of these tracks from the band leaders. My music blog was founded in 2005 under the Name "Voodoo Funk". The blog led to interviews with the NY Times, Rolling Stone Magazine, Dazed & Confused etc so it is safe to say that it was me who originally coined this term way before this person first re-issued any music from the nation of Benin.

Let's see how much fun my lawyer can have with this...

I'm abouut to leave for a surfing trip in a couple of days and will then spend about 4 weeks offline but this should be something to look forward to when coming back home.

"this is the one I call the boogie trip - this going to be an expensive trip - because it will cost you"

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Haha, is that our friend at Analog Africa?

• FrankFrank 2,386 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Haha, is that our friend at Analog Africa?

Yes indeed.

• YemskyYemsky 600 Posts
    Not taking sides here, but I guess Samy might have a few arguments for his defence as well:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/worldfolkandjazz/6224195/The-new-old-sound-of-Voodoo-Funk.html

• FrankFrank 2,386 Posts
    Not sure what the linked article is supposed to mean. It's from 2009 and any journalist researching Poly Rythmo was bound to find my blog which I started in 2005.

By 2009 I've already had interviews with the NY Times, the Daily News, Rolling Stone and other print media in regards to my blog and record label, both named "Voodoo Funk" and the brand name was well established

Besides, for journalists all words are fair game. For product names it's a whole different thing and there's no way to defend the unauthorized use of a registered trademark for the title of a record. You register trademarks for specific product categories. Mine are events, all audio formats and merchandise like T-shirts etc. AA/Samy does not have the slightest chance.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Frank said:
    You register trademarks for specific product categories. Mine are events, all audio formats and merchandise like T-shirts etc. He does not have the slightest chance.

Interesting, I've never tried to register a tm before. So if one were to manufacture and market, say, a Voodoo Funk Locksmith company, you would have no relevant recourse? Only applicable to the categories you listed?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,387 Posts
    Do I have to burn my Davy Jones and the Voodoo Funk Machine records now?

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    Oh geez...

Spreading voodoo funk & initiating litigation.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,840 Posts
    "The Skeletal Essences of Voodoo Funk" is an unusually shit title for anything.

I gather Analog Africa is an English business. Frank, how easy is it to enforce a German trademark in England? I don't know anything about EU law, but were I to enforce a Canadian tm in the US, it would be an expensive effort. Regardless, I wish you success.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    Analog Africa is from Frankfurt.

More important, me as a consumer, i'm pretty thankful for the work of both Analog Africa and Voodoo Funk.

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    Congratulaions on that patent, This will make sure nobody will mess with your glorious achievements in musical history regarding havind and playing records. May nobody else have and find original records or talk about them without your permission.

https://maps.google.de/maps?q=724141+Rangendingen&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&ei=tWMwUbyKOsSn4ASl_oGIBA&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

Since Google tells me wich neck of the woods you are from, i can clearly see that you had to fight hard for everything in life, and explains your crush for plants.

maybe your next post should be something more positive, some musical discoveries or some. I??m tired of reading your bragging shit.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,028 Posts
    Cue interwebs takedown by Frank...in, uh, 4 weeks

• Delete

• ppadilhappadilha 2,036 Posts
    Frank is probably tossing some monkeys around at the beach right now.

• Only I can rob countries of their records and re-release them!!!

jimey said:
    Analog Africa is from Frankfurt.

More important, me as a consumer, i'm pretty thankful for the work of both Analog Africa and Voodoo Funk.

Sure, but Analog Africa is using the trade marked name of Frank's blog to sell its music. That's unlawful and ethically dubious, and perhaps most importantly, totally unnecessary. That comp would lose nothing musically were it described as something other than "voodoo funk", so I wonder about the motivation for what seems like a rather provocative decision.

While I can think of good business reasons both to enforce and not enforce Frank's right, in principle I can't fault Frank for protecting what is his. That the strut gets another opportunity to see Frank unleash his wrath is just a welcome bonus.

We need a four week-delayed Selma Hayek moment for what I expect will be some quality feuding.

countmacula said:
    Only I can rob countries of their records and re-release them!!!

Dude, be careful. Frank is like the Highlander. Everytime someone accuses him of robbing countries, exploitation, colonialism, imperialism, slavery, and so forth, lightning goes off and he gets stronger. He's probably on a beach in Costa Rica right now yelling to some orchids "There can only be one!". Don't mess with a force you don't understand.

Danno3000 said:
    countmacula said:
    Only I can rob countries of their records and re-release them!!!

Dude, be careful. Frank is like the Highlander. Everytime someone accuses him of robbing countries, exploitation, colonialism, imperialism, slavery, and so forth, lightning goes off and he gets stronger. He's probably on a beach in Costa Rica right now yelling to some orchids "There can only be one!". Don't mess with a force you don't understand.

HAHAHAHHAHA!!!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Danno3000 said:
    so I wonder about the motivation for what seems like a rather provocative decision.

I think this is what some people here are missing. This wasn't a random decision on Samy's part, and if Frank had put out a Nigerian Boogie comp and called it "Analog Africa - Dancefloor Sounds of 80's Nigeria" or something, you can be sure there would be a response.

What he hoped to accomplish by this is beyond me, but then so was the cover design for the ROB album and the way he put his AA stamp all over the extremely rare African records he sold on eBay.

• (removed)

• Analogafrica said:
    Frank you have never invented Funk and especially not Voodoo. And you have never "coined" the term "Voodoo Funk" and you know this very well. Anyone with google is one click away from the facts.

5 years ago you had posted 50% of my compilation on your blog. I had spend two years working on that project and few months before its release, half of it is available for free. I have not reacted the way I should have, I will not deny this. Anyway we sorted out our differences and when I though everything was cool you send me a message which said something like: "by the way, the first Poly-Rythmo album you said you had licensed, well I saw albarika store??s producers and the songs are not in the contract, so dont be mad at me but I will go ahead and license them myself". Correct me if I am wrong. Since then you have proceeded to release all the El Rego songs I had licensed and released myself two years earlier. The very same label that has released the El Rego stuff for you had asked me in 2007 to do a compilation for them after I had personnaly offered them the African Scream Compilation which included the first El Rego song ever released in the west, isnt that ironic? If I had accepted I would have certainly done something else then El Rego for the simple reason that the best songs were already available. I dont see the point in recycling recycled music?

The documentary "take me away fast" includes music I own, and even if its for non commercial purposes, I believe theres is nothing wrong to ask for permission. What the producer has done is great and you are both promoting the musical scene that I love and I have no reason not to encourage this. I would have given her permission to use whatever she needed without any problem. But since you believe all contracts are worthless except for yours???

Your Blog contains half of the Benin material I??ve released on my Label, 20 maybe 30 songs for which I have paid honest money, and you are the one complaining?
    But what strikes me most is that bitterness and the hate you have for a label that doesnt do anything else then releasing music you like, and this might be the clou.
    So what is wrong exactly, the licensing? I dont pay the artist enough? whats the real reason? Well I am going to tell you the reason. Each compilation I release is years of hard and miniscious work, In terms of music and reseach Analog Africa releases have reach a certain level of excellence that nobody, except for you, can deny. Its the reflection of the efforts involved. Even a blind men holding one of our booklets will understand that. Years ago you have written that the day you I will start working on releases we will all see how african compilations have to be made, as if me and other labels were all having holidays and were waiting for you to arrive. So where are all these beauties that will put ours to shame?

I have arrived in Benin at a very early stage, it was my luck, and my chance was to bump into the music of one of Africa??s most fantastic band. I am releasing the music that you dream about and thats the fuel that is feeding you hate. This is what enrages you, it has nothing to do with the undertitel. And it will only get worse Frank because the next step is Ghana.

Do you actually read interviews after you have given them? Who do you think you are, seriously? We have been searching for african records for almost 20 years, Gregoire, miles and others. G??nter gretz here in Frankfurt has been digging since 1975, pay him a visit when you have a chance, so that you understand how far behind you are. Do you hear them bragging or talking as if they had invented digging in Africa?

Anyway I have to thank you for your arrogance it has been a great source of motivation, it has made me even more determined to do as good as I can, so please dont stop, continue putting oil in the fire.

I will not take any kind of risks, I will change the undertitle to something else, you win. As someone said here, and I have to agree, it was unecessary.

If the above is true then Frank you've got some explaining to do. Just by experience and cadence and supporting and non-contradictory referencing I must say that the author of this ain't trying to subvert Frank but might have some legitimate beef.

This thread has potential.
    Duderonomy

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,387 Posts

• Analogafrica said:

Years ago, in a very presumptuous way, you have written that the day you will start working on releases we will all see how african compilations have to be made, as if me and other labels were all having holidays and were just waiting for you to arrive. So where are all these beauties that will put ours to shame?

I for one am in favor of a 'competitive market' so if this beef will only make Frank and the guys from AnalogAfrica more devoted and resolute in producing the best releases out there, so be it!

• AYO STAY IN YOUR LANE

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    not adding an opinion to the feud but
    anyone dissing frank's achievement's in unearthing music for us to enjoy, his ethics or lifestyle is truly dissing themselves in the most direct, emblematic, envious and self-loathing way possible.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,036 Posts
    this is veering dangerously close to those anthropologist turf wars where they argue about who discovered which isolated tribe first and who is allowed to have access to them.

I'll just sit back and enjoy this thread, as long as these fights don't keep awesome music from being made available to people who would never have heard it otherwise.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,028 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    I so fucking tiring to perpetuate this non-battle.. Then maybe you can start again on a non-war footing or maybe just happily ignore each other.

Nooooo!!
    Take your mouth off, O!

::wink::

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    cadeaux said:
    Congratulaions on that patent, This will make sure nobody will mess with your glorious achievements in musical history regarding havind and playing records. May nobody else have and find original records or talk about them without your permission.

https://maps.google.de/maps?q=724141+Rangendingen&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&ei=tWMwUbyKOsSn4ASl_oGIBA&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

Since Google tells me wich neck of the woods you are from, i can clearly see that you had to fight hard for everything in life, and explains your crush for plants.

maybe your next post should be something more positive, some musical discoveries or some. I??m tired of reading your bragging shit.

rereading this frustrates me even more
    frank has posted videos, new finds, great mixes
    he is not bragging he is responding to a hated old friend who did something genuinely provocative
    if you knew about franks lifestory you would know nothing was handed to him and he has made the most out of it to enjoy life on his own terms
    as far as owning and playing records
    you are playing yourself