Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

2»

Comments

• i saw astral weeks in someones house recently and i commented on it and they recommended another of his records that they said was in the same vein...not moondance. i forget which one they mentioned.

• i saw astral weeks in someones house recently and i commented on it and they recommended another of his records that they said was in the same vein...not moondance. i forget which one they mentioned.

Maybe it was this one. It gets a lot of spins in my household.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Lester Bangs on Astral Weeks is some of the most passionate music writing I've ever read.

Link to aforementioned Bangs article...

http://www.harbour.sfu.ca/~hayward/van/reviews/astral.html

Thank you, sir. I was just about to look that up. I read Bangs biography, written by a local Chicago newspaper guy; it was an OK read; dude sipped a lot of sizzurp.

Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung is the Greil Marcus-edited collection that has all of his really gonzo stuff (comparing Jethro Tull to Vietnamese folk music and mocking bloated Chicago albums) but they just released a new anthology of his writing that is supposed to be more representative of his work over the years.

Check out the Bangs bio that came out a few years ago (written by an old friend of mine).

Cosign on Van...

Did you know JD in Jersey, Lar? I knew him from his Minneapolis times. He gets a lot of hate, but he's a wonderful guy.

And I have been listening to Astral Weeks since 1986, going on 20 years, and unlike Moondance(itself an amazing collection of songs), with it's catchy melodies and pop/rock structure, Astral Weeks is continually unfolding, always some new crevice filled with flavor you can't remeber tasting before. Like a painting that reflects light differently with even the slightest movement, Astral Weeks is evergreen. I keep two copies at all times. If you dismiss this album as just another LP on the classic rock pile, it's your loss.

• Lester Bangs on Astral Weeks is some of the most passionate music writing I've ever read.

Link to aforementioned Bangs article...

https://personal.cis.strath.ac.uk/murray.wood/astral.html

Thank you, sir. I was just about to look that up. I read Bangs biography, written by a local Chicago newspaper guy; it was an OK read; dude sipped a lot of sizzurp.

Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung is the Greil Marcus-edited collection that has all of his really gonzo stuff (comparing Jethro Tull to Vietnamese folk music and mocking bloated Chicago albums) but they just released a new anthology of his writing that is supposed to be more representative of his work over the years.

Check out the Bangs bio that came out a few years ago (written by an old friend of mine).

Cosign on Van...

Did you know JD in Jersey, Lar? I knew him from his Minneapolis times. He gets a lot of hate, but he's a wonderful guy.

And I have been listening to Astral Weeks since 1986, going on 20 years, and unlike Moondance(itself an amazing collection of songs), with it's catchy melodies and pop/rock structure, Astral Weeks is continually unfolding, always some new crevice filled with flavor you can't remeber tasting before. Like a painting that reflects light differently with even the slightest movement, Astral Weeks is evergreen. I keep two copies at all times. If you dismiss this album as just another LP on the classic rock pile, it's your loss.

Chris
    Jim and I (and other NJ zine editors) used to cross paths in Hoboken/NYC quite often back in the mid-80s. I contributed to a couple of his zines at the time and he quoted me in his book on Psychedelia.
    Smart guy.
    Larry

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    i saw astral weeks in someones house recently and i commented on it and they recommended another of his records that they said was in the same vein...not moondance. i forget which one they mentioned.

Maybe it was this one. It gets a lot of spins in my household.

St. Dominic's Preview is my favorite Van Morrison song. Also frequently slept on is...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If Astral Weeks does not leave a handprint on yer psyche THEN YOU ARE SOFT!!![/b]

• I discovered this a few months ago, and i like it a lot. More contemplative and inwardly soulsearching then his earlier "release the demons"- style.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I discovered this a few months ago, and i like it a lot. More contemplative and inwardly soulsearching then his earlier "release the demons"- style.

Yes, this is a forgotton LP in Van's discography.

This is also a personal fave

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Listening to this on a cold rainy June night.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

YES YOU WERE

Essential gutwrenching sounds. Especially if you realize that this was only his second solo record after his work with Them (his first contains the lovely "brown eyed girl")

I love the range of emotions and the rawness in the delivery + the overall sound. His third album is even better imho:

Moondance is my favorite Morrison LP, Astral Weeks, Tupelo Honey.

I know I am often hatting on rock music here. Terrible singing, and either lack of emotion or theatrical emotion are the main reason for me not liking a lot of rock music.

Van is a great singer, with meaningful and emotional songs.

Dan

Astral Weeks has entered the upper echelons of classic rock albums.
    I still prefer his records with memorable melodies and hooks.

Ten years ago his records were dollar bin fodder. Not so much now.