Voodoo Funk™

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Dude your taste in recreating artwork for original albums sucks donkey balls though. The greatest treasure of these african pieces are the style and design they utilized at the time for the album. You decided to take it upon yourself and recreate "ugliness". I've seen your other pieces of covers, they are do not capture the essence. Please stop! Save the music and the art and creativity that went into those covers. Quit putting stamps on the albums your selling. I don't care about your beef. I just know someone is putting out a better product.

Analogafrica said:
    Frank you have not invented Funk and especially not Voodoo. And you have never "coined" the term "Voodoo Funk" and you know this very well. Anyone with google is one click away from the facts.

5 years ago you had posted 50% of my compilation on your blog. I had spend two years working on that project and few months before its release, half of it is available for free. I have not reacted the way I should have, I will not deny this. Anyway we sorted out our differences and when I though everything was cool you send me a message which said something like: "by the way, the first Poly-Rythmo album you said you had licensed, well I saw albarika store??s producers and the songs are not in the contract, so dont be mad at me but I will go ahead and license them myself". Correct me if I am wrong. Since then you have proceeded to release all the El Rego songs I had licensed and released myself two years earlier. The very same label that has released the El Rego stuff for you had asked me in 2007 to do a compilation for them after I had personnaly offered them the African Scream Compilation which included the first El Rego song ever released in the west, isnt that ironic? If I had accepted I would have certainly done something else then El Rego for the simple reason that the best songs were already available. I dont see the point in recycling recycled music?

The documentary "take me away fast" includes music I own, and even if its for non commercial purposes, I believe there is nothing wrong with asking for permission. What the producer has done is great and you are both promoting the musical scene that I love and I have no reason not to encourage this. I would have given her permission to use whatever she needed without any problem. But since you believe all contracts are worthless except for yours???

Your Blog contains half of the Benin material I??ve released on my Label, 20 maybe 30 songs for which I have paid honest money, and you are the one complaining?

But what strikes me most is that bitterness and the hate you have for a label that doesnt do anything else then releasing music you like, and this might be the clou. So what is wrong exactly, the licensing? I dont pay the artist enough? whats the real reason? Well I am going to tell you the reason. Each compilation I release is years of hard and miniscious work, In terms of music and research, Analog Africa releases have reached a certain level of excellence that nobody, except for you, can deny. Its the reflection of the efforts involved. Even a blind men holding one of our booklets will understand that. Years ago, in a very presumptuous way, you have written that the day you will start working on releases we will all see how african compilations have to be made, as if me and other labels were all having holidays and were just waiting for you to arrive. So where are all these beauties that will put ours to shame?

I have arrived in Benin at a very early stage, it was my luck, and my chance was to bump into the music of one of Africa??s most fantastic band. I am releasing the music that you dream about and thats the fuel that is feeding your hate, this is what enrages you. This here and the story of the undertitel is just a sign of frustration for something much deeper, and it will only get worse Frank because the next step is Ghana.

Do you actually read interviews after you have given them? Who do you think you are, seriously? We have been searching for african records for almost 20 years, Gregoire, miles and others. G??nter gretz here in Frankfurt has been digging since 1975, pay him a visit when you have a chance, so that you understand how far behind you are. Do you hear them bragging or talking as if they had invented digging in Africa?

Anyway I have to thank you for your arrogance, it has been a great source of motivation, it has made me even more determined to do as good as I can, so please dont stop, continue putting oil in the fire.

I will not take any kind of risks, I will change the undertitle to something else, you win. As someone said here, and I have to agree, it was unecessary.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    double bananas

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts
    Well, lucky for you, my trip to the Caribbean only starts tomorrow morning so you won't have to wait 4 long weeks for an answer.

cadeaux said:

https://maps.google.de/maps?q=724141+Rangendingen&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&ei=tWMwUbyKOsSn4ASl_oGIBA&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAg

Since Google tells me wich neck of the woods you are from, i can clearly see that you had to fight hard for everything in life, and explains your crush for plants.

Easy there, Sherlock. I was not born there nor have I ever lived in Rangendingen, a beautiful little town in Southwestern Germany where I have family who entertain my German postal address. However, this is not where I am from. I was born and raised in a small village of at the time around 100 souls right in the heart of the Black Forest, to a long lineage of blacksmiths and poachers who were known and feared throughout the region. Growing up in this environment might have equipped me with with a certain degree of ferocity but my love for botany is something that I have picked up much later on in life.

Now to you, dear Samy.

Allow me to take a few minutes to set you straight on some of the main points of your ramblings:

Analogafrica said:
    Frank you have not invented Funk and especially not Voodoo. And you have never "coined" the term "Voodoo Funk" and you know this very well. Anyone with google is one click away from the facts.

I never claimed to have invented anything, what I did was "name branding" -you should google that. Before naming my blog, my dj events and my label "Voodoo Funk", I did a bit of research myself and found that nobody else was using this word combination in any context with African music and I decided to go with it. After articles about my blog and interviews with me were published in the Village Voice, Daily News, NY Times, European Rolling Stone, Dazed & Confused etc it is safe to say that it was me who coined this term as far as West African Funk is concerned.

As you said yourself, this is not the first run-in we had. You have been well aware of me and what I do and you are well aware that I've been using the brand Voodoo Funk 2006. Which proves intent.

How would you expect anybody to believe that your "the skeletal essences of Voodoo Funk" title was anything else but a bizarre and misguided provocation that now has unexpectedly and tragically misfired into your own foot?

Take your own brand "Analog Africa". You did not discover Africa and you did not invent Analog technology. How would you like it if I -as Horseleach suggested "put out a Nigerian Boogie comp and called it "Analog Africa - Dancefloor Sounds of 80's Nigeria"?

Of course I could have taken other action than air this publicly but I just knew this would make for some great entertainment. The alternative would have been to send you a cease and desist through my lawyer which according to European law you would have to pay for. The cease and desist would only cost you some 800,- Euro but if you'd fail to pay and the matter would go to court, the combined legal costs (all to be paid for by the losing party) would amount to at least a couple of grand. Get some legal advice and you'll see that a bit of humiliation is the least painful consequence here. There's absolutely no way you wouldn't have lost this one.

Analogafrica said:
    5 years ago you had posted 50% of my compilation on your blog. I had spend two years working on that project and few months before its release, half of it is available for free. I have not reacted the way I should have, I will not deny this. Anyway we sorted out our differences and when I though everything was cool you send me a message which said something like: "by the way, the first Poly-Rythmo album you said you had licensed, well I saw albarika store??s producers and the songs are not in the contract, so dont be mad at me but I will go ahead and license them myself". Correct me if I am wrong.

OK, allow me to correct you because you are giving people a wrong timeline. Just so nobody confuses the order of events:

I started my blog in early 2006 and published mixes containing some old records that I had found. You contacted me sometime in late 2007 and demanded that I take down some mixes when these mixes had already been online for about a year or longer.

I did not post 50% of your comp. You put together a compilation that to over 50% consisted of songs from my mixes. These mixes were made and posted on my blog WAY BEFORE your comp was released, even way before the release was even announced .

Maybe you should have chosen some more obscure titles for your compilation and not just the obvious stuff that any casual record buyer such as myself could pick up so easily.

I did visit the Albarika brothers' house and when they gave me a clean archive copy of the Poly Rythmo's first LP which was a custom press on Nigerian EMI, I asked them if the album would be available for re-release. One or two tracks on this record had been on Miles' Poly Rythmo comp on Soundway but Miles and I are very friendly with each other and I knew there would be no problem. The Albarika brothers said they were ready to sign for the record and showed me some contracts they made with you which did not feature any tracks from this album but to make sure, I got in touch with you personally to as if it would be ok for me to re-release the record. Which in my eyes isn't anything else but common courtesy.

Analogafrica said:
    Since then you have proceeded to release all the El Rego songs I had licensed and released myself two years earlier. The very same label that has released the El Rego stuff for you had asked me in 2007 to do a compilation for them after I had personnaly offered them the African Scream Compilation which included the first El Rego song ever released in the west, isnt that ironic? If I had accepted I would have certainly done something else then El Rego for the simple reason that the best songs were already available. I dont see the point in recycling recycled music?

I had my first sit down with El Rego in early 2008, more than a year before you published his songs on "Legends of Benin". El Rego at that time said he had never signed away anything else besides the song Se Na Min which had been featured on your comp. This was when El Rego signed the contracts with Daptone which also gave Daptone all publishing rights. Because Daptone are a very busy label, it took them a very long time to put the record out and when they finally did so, your next comp that featured some of the same songs had been released. I don't know how you had cleared these tracks, maybe El Rego just decided to sign another contract and make some more money but you should be very thankful that Daptone didn't take any legal action over this.

Sometime in early 2009 El Rego told me on the phone how the guy to whom he had given the license for "Se Na Min" showed up on his doorstep again, explaining how he had lost the contract and made him sign it again. Not sure what this was all about... but it sure smells fishy.

Analogafrica said:
    The documentary "take me away fast" includes music I own, and even if its for non commercial purposes, I believe there is nothing wrong with asking for permission. What the producer has done is great and you are both promoting the musical scene that I love and I have no reason not to encourage this. I would have given her permission to use whatever she needed without any problem. But since you believe all contracts are worthless except for yours???

I am the subject of the documentary, I did not make it. You should contact the film maker Leigh if you have any issues with the film or its soundtrack. As far as I know the only the only thing that is publicly available is a short trailer on YouTube (Posted by Leigh, not by myself). You can easily make a copyright claim and have Youtube take it down. Trust me, I could not care less.

Analogafrica said:
    Your Blog contains half of the Benin material I??ve released on my Label, 20 maybe 30 songs for which I have paid honest money, and you are the one complaining?

Again, I made and posted these mixes when I found the original records. This was way before you re-released these titles. Before publishing mixes I always research each individual song and only use material that at the time has not been re-issued.

Analogafrica said:
    But what strikes me most is that bitterness and the hate you have for a label that doesnt do anything else then releasing music you like, and this might be the clou. So what is wrong exactly, the licensing? I dont pay the artist enough? whats the real reason? Well I am going to tell you the reason. Each compilation I release is years of hard and miniscious work, In terms of music and research, Analog Africa releases have reached a certain level of excellence that nobody, except for you, can deny. Its the reflection of the efforts involved. Even a blind men holding one of our booklets will understand that.

Easy here... this is getting a bit confusing. If I read this correctly, you are now answering your own questions while commending you on your own level of excellence?

You are confusing bitterness with indifference. I live a life of leisure in a tropical paradise and when I'm not busy surfing the beaches or hiking the mountains and cloud forests of Costa Rica I'm putting out some records and occasionally have some fun on Soulstrut. Why should I be bitter about anything?

I have no beef with your label. Back when I worked at WFMU for a while I checked out some of your comps in their library and it struck me a little odd that the booklets were all about you and your exploration efforts. I personally believe that re-releases or compilations of this old music should be all about giving the artist their long deserved shine while in your booklets they become support characters in your tales. To me it read all a bit corny but I guess it's all a matter of taste. I personally I think it's a shame how you re-released the ROB album and the Poly Rythmo's ALS 005 record without using the amazing original artwork. Oh and what a classy move to not crediting the person who borrowed you the ALS 005 test pressing.

This is my personal opinion on what little I have seen of your releases. Again, I don't personally buy compilations, I already have too many records to listen to.

Analogafrica said:
    Years ago, in a very presumptuous way, you have written that the day you will start working on releases we will all see how african compilations have to be made, as if me and other labels were all having holidays and were just waiting for you to arrive. So where are all these beauties that will put ours to shame?

Now you're starting to babble. Where did you read this? I never said anything like that. Please go ahead and show me the quote! I'm sure you wouldn't just make stuff up so go ahead and tell us where this can be found.

Analogafrica said:
    I have arrived in Benin at a very early stage, it was my luck, and my chance was to bump into the music of one of Africa??s most fantastic band. I am releasing the music that you dream about and thats the fuel that is feeding your hate, this is what enrages you. This here and the story of the undertitel is just a sign of frustration for something much deeper, and it will only get worse Frank because the next step is Ghana.

Oh come on... you arrived in Benin after you had bought Miles' Poly Rythmo compilation...
    Miles had been to Benin and tracked down Poly Rythmo at a time when you were still busy pushing your juice cart up and down the economy aisle.

You're putting out another compilation with Ghanaian Afrobeat/Funk? Well, good luck with that. There can never be too many Afrobeat compilations out there, right? Maybe... maybe not. Why should this enrage me? You completely overestimate your relevance to others. Just stay away from using my brand name and I won't even take notice of your efforts. But be sensitive with your selection. I've signed quite some Ghanaian tracks myself for our 45s series, all directly from the artists in question and I will not hesitate to take you to the cleaners should the occasion present itself. This time I will spare you the public humiliation and there will be no warning.

Analogafrica said:
    Do you actually read interviews after you have given them? Who do you think you are, seriously? We have been searching for african records for almost 20 years, Gregoire, miles and others. G??nter gretz here in Frankfurt has been digging since 1975, pay him a visit when you have a chance, so that you understand how far behind you are. Do you hear them bragging or talking as if they had invented digging in Africa?

What are your exact issues with exactly what that I have said in which interview? If these interviews upset you so much then maybe you should stop reading them, it might be bad for your blood pressure. Other than that, please link to something I said and tell me what your issues are.

I find it very impressive that you've been "searching for african records for almost 20 years", do you have a secret ebay account where you sell the records that aren't common turds or completely scratched to shit? Let me know, maybe I can give you some business because I'm still buying.

I don't know your friend G??nter but I do know the other two gentlemen you mentioned. They are both friends of mine and I am in full agreement with them that you are suffering from a severe case of Napoleon Complex (aka short man syndrome).

Analogafrica said:
    Anyway I have to thank you for your arrogance...

You are very welcome and there is plenty more where that came from...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Until Frank starts stamping rare original African records with a "Voodoo Funk" logo for some unknown but presumably ridiculous "I owned this before you did" douchebaggery like this Analog Africa person...I am going to assume that this Analog Africa guy is the turd in this West African music punch bowl.

Since I bring it up, could you, Analog Africa dude, explain why you felt a need to deface original record art with your stupid logo?

• The_Hook_Up said:

Since I bring it up, could you, Analog Africa dude, explain why you felt a need to deface original record art with your stupid logo?

"Frank made me do it"

• Options
    Antoine is up on franks balls. No surprises there.

If anyone is a doucebag here its got to be Frank. Dude lives off of his wives professional career and has an easy life traveling the globe looking for orchids. His arrogant persona is only inflated further by his cult following on soulstrut. Cue the thread of Frank posting digging pictures and stories in Africa.

Oh, you fuck with records...big deal.

How is it having your wife support you? She has confessed this to me during our tryst. Nothing you will say can convince me other ways.

• herbacios tweed said:
    AYO STAY IN YOUR LANE

who?

• sozzy said:
    How is it having your wife support you? She has confessed this to me during our tryst. Nothing you will say can convince me other ways.

classy first post.

• FrankFrank 2,444 Posts
    sozzy said:
    Antoine is up on franks balls. No surprises there.

If anyone is a doucebag here its got to be Frank. Dude lives off of his wives professional career and has an easy life traveling the globe looking for orchids. His arrogant persona is only inflated further by his cult following on soulstrut. Cue the thread of Frank posting digging pictures and stories in Africa.

Oh, you fuck with records...big deal.

you're hurting my feelings...

Since you went through the trouble of creating this account for the sole reason to ask this question and because hating me must be one of the most frustrating experiences imaginable, I think you deserve an answer:

Let me tell you: It's great!

You're damn right, my wife has a great job, makes a shit ton of money and gets us to live rent free in some of the most desirable places on the planet while I travel the globe at my leisure.

Do you seriously lack the imagination to paint yourself a picture of how fucking amazingly awesome this is?

Well in this case you're really poor. Even though you have much more money than the people you buy – or better – used to buy your records from before I offered them x-times more.

Ultimately, how families/couples handle their personal finances is nobody's fucking business but their own...additionally, I find it pathetic that some people find glee and pride by perpetuating bullshit gender norms like "the male has to be the breadwinner. If the female is the breadwinner then somehow the male has failed at being a male.". Seems to me, to call someone out for this reeks of misogyny and schoolyard jealousy.

• I'm not too worried about any of this but I feel like Frank, if you're really happy and killing it then you don't have to prove it to anyone - just enjoy your blessings and don't worry about shoving them in other peoples faces

• PattrickPattrick 57 Posts
    Frank trademarking Voodoo Funk?
    No problem.

Contacting Analog Africa to let them know they can't use the words 'Voodoo Funk'?
    No problem.

Posting it all up on a music forum for Analog Africa and Voodoo Funk consumers to see it?
    Not a good look and completely unnecessary.

Getting the trademark and enforcing it achieved the required end surely?

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    Not your best post frank. Really appreciate the music you post but I think your beeef, I guess its very personal at this stage, is not public slagging match worthy,

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,565 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    bullshit gender norms like "the male has to be the breadwinner. If the female is the breadwinner then somehow the male has failed at being a male.". Seems to me, to call someone out for this reeks of misogyny and schoolyard jealousy.

:hijack:
    I'd love to be a kept man!
    Out of boredom I'd probably get a job anyway, but hell, sign me up for an uber-successful spouse. The problem is that most women still find money/security more attractive than a skint dreamer, and on a nature/nurture level I wouldn't be surprised if it's as much inherited behaviour as nurtured bullshit gender norms.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,329 Posts
    Posting it all up on a music forum for Analog Africa and Voodoo Funk consumers to see it?
    Not a good look and completely unnecessary.

A Soulstrut tradition.

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Ultimately, how families/couples handle their personal finances is nobody's fucking business but their own...additionally, I find it pathetic that some people find glee and pride by perpetuating bullshit gender norms like "the male has to be the breadwinner. If the female is the breadwinner then somehow the male has failed at being a male.". Seems to me, to call someone out for this reeks of misogyny and schoolyard jealousy.

Yeah it's not like all this sh*t started from a dick mesuring contest... :roll:

• haha Frank on god mode with the comebacks.

I feel like Fed Exing you a 3G ipad so you can continue dropping knowledge jewels while on vacation next week.

• Options
    herbacios tweed said:
    haha Frank on god mode with the comebacks.

I feel like Fed Exing you a 3G ipad so you can continue dropping knowledge jewels while on vacation next week.

If you think this thread contains "knowledge jewels" than you need read some actual books. Also, this thread is a bad look for Frank as most people seem to disapprove of his provocation.

I was out of line, but what with Frank did to ME years ago he deserves it. Frank is not nearly as honorable as people on here think he is. There are a lot of people in Africa that were burned by this man's greed. Despite what he says about his agents and paying them well....well that's just half of the story.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Burns said:
    Dude your taste in recreating artwork for original albums sucks donkey balls though. The greatest treasure of these african pieces are the style and design they utilized at the time for the album. You decided to take it upon yourself and recreate "ugliness". I've seen your other pieces of covers, they are do not capture the essence.

No, the greatest treasure is probably the music, unless you don't have a record player and just like to look at jackets all day. I don't really pay much attention to comps, but flipping thru record store bins, I don't think the AA comps I've seen look any better or worse than the V****o F*** reissues, or any of the other comps on the market. If you want a truly embarassing design you'd have to unearth the original jpeg for the Lagos Disco Inferno, which was posted here for all of 15 minutes before wisely being deleted forever. Also, Analog Afr mostly puts out compilations right? You can't really "recreate" the original art for a compilation because presumably the original art is 20 different LP/EP covers from different labels and eras.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Wow, this thread brought back Sozzy and Wyclef!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,133 Posts
    button said:
    Burns said:
    Dude your taste in recreating artwork for original albums sucks donkey balls though. The greatest treasure of these african pieces are the style and design they utilized at the time for the album. You decided to take it upon yourself and recreate "ugliness". I've seen your other pieces of covers, they are do not capture the essence.

No, the greatest treasure is probably the music, unless you don't have a record player and just like to look at jackets all day. I don't really pay much attention to comps, but flipping thru record store bins, I don't think the AA comps I've seen look any better or worse than the V****o F*** reissues, or any of the other comps on the market. If you want a truly embarassing design you'd have to unearth the original jpeg for the Lagos Disco Inferno, which was posted here for all of 15 minutes before wisely being deleted forever. Also, Analog Afr mostly puts out compilations right? You can't really "recreate" the original art for a compilation because presumably the original art is 20 different LP/EP covers from different labels and eras.

This might be true, but the record in question (Rob) had such a wonderful cover and it wasn't a sampler. The AA reissue indeed sucks donkey balls coverwise and printing your label name bigger than the actual artists' name is a strange move. Other than than that, it seems the African reissue game is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

• If you want real drama:

(Disco Records: Sales/ Trades/ Wants)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/discorecords/?fref=ts

dreskieboogie said:
    If you want real drama:

K in Canada selling records on here!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,921 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    dreskieboogie said:
    If you want real drama:

K in Canada selling records on here!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,109 Posts
    Doesn't one have to license the cover artwork when doing a reissue or something like that? Perhaps Mr Analog Africa couldn't be arsed to do that part. And since this is the part where we complain about his releases, the liner notes on the comps could really use an english speaking editor. Can't complain about the music though.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    parallax said:

ppadilha said:
    Doesn't one have to license the cover artwork when doing a reissue or something like that? Perhaps Mr Analog Africa couldn't be arsed to do that part. And since this is the part where we complain about his releases, the liner notes on the comps could really use an english speaking editor. Can't complain about the music though.

I illegally downloaded the Rob album, and owned the original artwork (empty cover found at a library sale related)...got the music and had (since traded) the original artwork...no money for AA and didn't have to look at shitty artwork...win/win!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,109 Posts
    "Shoplifting is a victimless crime, like punching someone in the dark!"

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    sozzy said:

....than you need read some actual books....

Oy...this fail was painful.