I'm tired of my Funk records

GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I don't even know why, but I can't listen to most of my Funk records and 45s anymore. They all sound the same. Of course, some so called deep Funk tunes are an exception. You know, the ones where musicians or singers really pull their heart to pieces (like Prince Brownell or Toni Tornado).But records like Pazant Brothers, Bobby Knight or most of the JBs albums bore me lately. Does anyone understand this? I recently prefered the Rationals LP on Crewe to some funky Soul Jazz LPs at my favorite record shop. I'm trying to listen to their whole Rock catalogue (it's a huge store) and so far, I must say: I like most old Rock or Psych records better than funky ones! I'm currently digging the old Rock, Jazz or psyched out sound. I'm thinking about selling my Funk LPs and 45s, but I might keep them for DJ gigs...Am I getting old? My local private dealer said that he felt the same at my age. He turned into a Jazz snob, but he's still cool.

Comments

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Am I getting old?

• slushslush 691 Posts
    its cool man no worries, ill be out of town for a few days but you can send them to my mom

c/o slushs mom
    106 charterhouse cr.
    hamilton, ontario
    l9g 4e5

• Oh my Gawd, Grope is turning into an old jazz snob!

Hehehe,

Dress

• I think it's ok...........after some months (years ?) of rock and psych jazz probably you will rediscover the old dusty JB's

and of course with age taste change and what you already listen for years it happens could not appeal you anymore

no big problem though

• ... being tired of the drugs ?

That??s the chance to get CLEAN!

;-)
    Seb

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    ... being tired of the drugs ?

You know me, Seb! I don't do drugs... never did! I'm just listening to Wilen's Dear Prof. Leary and I can still enjoy that record! No drugs needed.

It's the hecticness in the Funk that really turns me off. Home listening is for relaxing. I even prefer Progressive Jazz or Psych Rock music to Funk these days... but I still feel weird about the whole situation. I'm getting ready to sell my Funk, I guess...

• I even prefer Progressive Jazz or Psych Rock music to Funk these days..

You're not alone - some of the current worldwide mod scene DJs are leaning more toward pre-prog psychrock these days, with a lot of 70s heavy biker rock style records taking precedence over the standard 60s mod/r'n'b/soul sound that's been the scene's hallmark for years.

But as long as it doesn't replace the soul side entirely, it's cool with me. Variety in a DJ set can make ALL records - regardless of genre - sound better.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I don't even know why, but I can't listen to most of my Funk records and 45s anymore. They all sound the same. Of course, some so called deep Funk tunes are an exception. You know, the ones where musicians or singers really pull their heart to pieces (like Prince Brownell or Toni Tornado).

But records like Pazant Brothers, Bobby Knight or most of the JBs albums bore me lately. Does anyone understand this?
    I recently prefered the Rationals LP on Crewe to some funky Soul Jazz LPs at my favorite record shop. I'm trying to listen to their whole Rock catalogue (it's a huge store) and so far, I must say: I like most old Rock or Psych records better than funky ones! I'm currently digging the old Rock, Jazz or psyched out sound. I'm thinking about selling my Funk LPs and 45s, but I might keep them for DJ gigs...

Am I getting old? My local private dealer said that he felt the same at my age. He turned into a Jazz snob, but he's still cool.

send chick a boom 45 here.
    I will play it for people.

JBs LPs are highly welcomed as well.

Thank you,
    David Castillo

PS. I will give you psych records.
    PPS. GolemAlgarnasTradgardGilaCanFaustHoller
    PSST. whatyouknowboutthisheat?

• I feel you, but just set them aside for now. I never try to listen to a genre too much. Come to think of it I hardly ever listen to Funk at the house.

• I even prefer Progressive Jazz or Psych Rock music to Funk these days..

You're not alone - some of the current worldwide mod scene DJs are leaning more toward pre-prog psychrock these days, with a lot of 70s heavy biker rock style records taking precedence over the standard 60s mod/r'n'b/soul sound that's been the scene's hallmark for years.

But as long as it doesn't replace the soul side entirely, it's cool with me. Variety in a DJ set can make ALL records - regardless of genre - sound better.

... with that said isn??t it pretty obvious that a whole lot of folk/country tunes are getting "realized" for the DJ scene (not replacing but acting next to the "soul factor") ?

• isn??t it pretty obvious that a whole lot of folk/country tunes are getting "realized" for the DJ scene (not replacing but acting next to the "soul factor") ?

I'm not sure about that, but that quote would make a damn fine location.

------------------

• isn??t it pretty obvious that a whole lot of folk/country tunes are getting "realized" for the DJ scene (not replacing but acting next to the "soul factor") ?

I'm not sure about that, but that quote would make a damn fine location.

------------------

i.e. not replacing the "soul factor" but acting at the same level ?

(i.e. ++ : "soul factor" = voice with a straight path to your heart)

:weschwasichmaehn?

• i.e. not replacing the "soul factor" but acting at the same level ?

I understand what you meant, but I'm not sure I agree. There's not lots of DJ's playing "country funk" at the clubs I attend.

= nawmean?

• I understand what you meant, but I'm not sure I agree. There's not lots of DJ's playing "country funk" at the clubs I attend.

Maybe I am wrong with the word "country" ...

I originally have written "folk/country" and in Germany "folk" has a slightly different meaning than what "acid folk" or other descriptions mean.

nevertheless

is

= nawmean?

with the words of someone from Mannheim.

Greetings
    Seb

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Does anyone understand this?

oh, for sure. over the last couple years I've weeded my funk/soul jazz records from 500+ to about 200. It all sounds the same after a while. I like de funk, don't get me wrong, but there's far more interesting things out there.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

oh, for sure. over the last couple years I've weeded my funk/soul jazz records from 500+ to about 200. It all sounds the same after a while. I like de funk, don't get me wrong, but there's far more interesting things out there.

see this is why i said i didnt care much for the stuff on prestige and soforth, its mostly just so boring after a while! yet i got blasted for it (who remembers this?)...really though the stuff that does it for me is the deep deep energetic dirty nasty funk stuff and just about anything psychy. in fact id probably say the psychy stuff is definitely my favorite. i mean dont get me wrong, funks great too. good soul-jazz stuff is a treat as well. old jazz musicians selling out and recording so-so funk records = BO-RING, im over that shit.

• Fuck genres, it's all about GOOD MUSIC!

- J

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    No big news...

I wanted to talk about Funk and most music with a funky backrhythm...

I always listened to music without thinking of genres, but Funk or funky music used to be my stomping ground. Nowadays, it's like Funk turns me off. Music with a simple Funk pattern and electric bass is like ... Soul with a funky influence is like ... I wanna hear that raw Soul or Jazz. Sweet Funk in Jazz or Soul is totally ...
    I need more rockish Soul, soulish Rock, psyched out Jazz, Jazzy Psych, rockish Jazz, etc

I'm not speaking about music with super dry Funk patterns though. Libraries still amaze me... some "deep" Funk still amazes me... funky soundtracks still amaze me...
    I'm really tired of most fast funky happy club tracks... ...simply BORING! Some classic Funk 45s, 99& of all "rare groove" tracks or songs that are classic compilation fodder etc... I'd rather hear some organ heavy Rock or Jazz at clubs.

At my home, Funk's almost dead. Hardly any Funk records on my turntables... motsly Rock, Psych or nice Jazz.

For me, it's just a drastic change... I'm just wondering what's happening. I never liked b-boyesque music or bad music with great percussion breakdowns or classic breakbeat songs, but getting tired of classic Funk or Soul Jaz is new to me...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

see this is why i said i didnt care much for the stuff on prestige and soforth, its mostly just so boring after a while! yet i got blasted for it (who remembers this?)

yeah, I do. I agreed with what you had to say. I used to have a ton of Prestige, mid-late 60's Blue Notes ala Lou Donaldson, etc & outta all that stuff there's really very few that still blow my mind. And, they are the ones that are most uncharacteristic of their label/eras IE: Braith "Musart", Donald Byrd "Ethiopian Knights", etc.

• Maybe you don't really like funk.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Maybe you don't really like funk.

hmmm, maybe. I certainly don't like fast and happy Funk. Kool & The Gang still gets me excited, but most other classic Funk bores me. I just noticed that I listen to completely different records these days. Never mind. I'm starting to feel old anyway!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Natural progression, I think. Funk is a limited genre and it's mostly about the dynamism and rawness for me...but of course dance music alone is not enough to sustain onself musically so you seek out more cerebral and sophisticated stuff...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Ive been feeling this way more and more about rap. I feel like Im too young to be burnt out on it but for about the past 3 months the only thing thats brought a smile to my face is pre-91/90 stuff. I still check for all the new stuff comin out but it continues to get deleted after 2 days on the harddrive.

Yep! I know that feeling too.

• I feel that way about all the genres I have at my place every now and then but when I get myself together and pull out one of the classics it's like getting a french kiss from an ex-girl I'm still in love with...

You guys know that feeling?

Dress

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    haha! yes, i know that feeling, but it can hurt too! some girls like to play games...

you're probably right, but i can't afford to own too many records. i think selling some of my Funk records is the only way to get new stuff... which will most probably be Jazz, Soundtracks and Library music...