BHANGRA FOR YOUR BOOTY (?)

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.newsobserver.com/lifestyles/story/2335764p-8713468c.htmlBhangra for your bootyBy JENNIFER BRINGLE, Staff WriterMelissa Edmonton and a friend are working it on the dance floor at Kings in downtown Raleigh. But instead of getting down to a hot local band or a thumping hip-hop beat, the girls are grooving to sitar-tinged bhangra music at the Masala Beat Club party."I'd say it's different than what I listen to but it's a lot of fun to dance to," says Edmonton, 25, a bartender.The Masala Beat Club party started nearly two years ago at Ringside in Durham. Ringside has remained the main venue for the party, but it has branched out to such locations as Talullas in Chapel Hill and Club 9 in Durham. The recent Kings event was the party's Raleigh debut."We don't want to oversaturate and get people burned out," says Mark Weddington, aka DJ Marco, on why they move the party to different clubs. "But we want to reach as many people as possible and expose people to Indian music and culture."DJ Marco and his cohort DJ Mogambo (aka Tim Meehan) play a variety of music at the party, but it mostly falls into three categories: Bollywood, bhangra and Asian underground. Bollywood is music taken from the soundtracks of Indian or Bollywood films. Bhangra is a genre that evolved from traditional planting and harvest songs from the northern Indian state of Punjab. Over the past several decades, musicians have infused bhangra with hip-hop, reggae and other sounds, making it ideal for dancing. Asian underground involves a variety of Indian musicians playing experimental electronic music."I think the music is really hot, and the DJs are pretty talented," says Brett Alexander, 24, an engineer. "It reminds me a lot of dance hall and reggae but it's completely different in how it started, but they both evolved in similar ways."The Masala Beat Club party involves more than music. There are often Bollywood film screenings, henna artists, bhangra dance instruction and samples of Indian food."We need more diversity in Raleigh as far as music and nightclubs," says Serena Gangwal, 25, a teacher. "So this is good."The crowds at Masala Beat Club tend to be college age to early 30s with a few older couples mixed in. Half the crowd is usually Indian, with other ethnicities making up the other half, which gives the party a diverse, international feel."There's a good rhythm and there are all mixed cultures on the dance floor, so it's good," says Jaz Malle, 32, a business consultant. "The mix of the music with the backdrop, it's good."Those unfamiliar with Indian culture may find the idea of an Indian dance party exotic, but newcomers find it's not much different from dance clubs they're used to."You'll find really danceable music, a lot of people having fun dancing and a good, friendly crowd," says Weddington. "The dancing will be a little different, but the vibe will be the same as any good party: just a lot of people having fun."