Montreal's own MARS if officially gone (RIP)

danceonamericadanceonamerica 233 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Props/Respect/Mes hommages! The store just closed forever this wednesday after doing a sweet "1$ sale" where I scored a Risco Connection 12" Ain't No Stopping Us Now. Fuck the reviews on http://www.recordstorereview.com/ . This was easily Montreal's BEST spot for used records if you're not scared digging and a goldmine for disco collectors with all the massive disco collections bought by the staff over the years.This is where a contact of mine from France in 80's funk (on a travel to Montreal) scored 10 sealed copies of Hipnotic 12" (he did show me a picture of himself with the 10 copies). A tough time for music business -TomIt is "rich" people like you guys that keep us alive (speaking of me and a friend) -RogerThe rent is too fuckin high (5000$CAN) -TomWatch out on ebay if they ever relist the store or, who knows, the records alone in bulk by genres:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4710898312YES there is still heat left after all thoses years in business and all thoses diggers. They were regularly cleaning the backstore and returning various records "inside" the store. Will post my last finds in the next "Finds" thread as soon as I get my camera.I suggest that folks in here post interesting/funny stories or top 10 come ups.Where can I buy records now? -Me

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah i was in MTL over the weekend and for some reason i forgot to even go in there... i guess i figured i'd been before and i just wasnt up for the hours of filth while i was on vacation.

little did i know it would be my last chance.

on the whole though i have to say i found MTL to be a tad dry this time... primitive has janked their 12" prices thru the roof (or at least it seemed that way to me.. as i recall pulling tonnes of heat fer dirt cheap there last summer) ... you can't charge $12 / $16 for a 12" that has the name of the 12 and the price written in huge magic marker on the cover.

Pick Up's prices seemed to be abit higher too and they are now writting "canadian" on any canadian 12"s which seemed weird to me... like dude is waiting for the quebec disco cash in to commence or sumpin.

all in all pretty lacklustre compared to the last time i was there.

question for the MTL heads where do y'all by new club wax in that city???

like what's the Play De Record equiv in that town?

i went into whatever that wank house store is on st laurent.. horrid horrid selection.. and i was loking for some new housey / discoey re-edit type shit.. but dude was completely clueless.. ditto for that joint inside moog... the only good 12"s dude had were in his 50% off bin???

c'est dommage

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Only experienced MARRS once in 2003, and despite its unsanitary conditions, I was loving every minute of it and I picked up some mighty decent finds for a spot that was supposedly pick'd over. I'll be in town in a few weeks and would have liked to have been there to grab a few more pieces of history... oh well... and more spots like this in Quebec? PM me...

• Options
    I heard it's all at Danno's now.

K>

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I've been there about 6 or 7 times. Each time coming up really well.

The best was when I dug in the poison mold area for 3 hours before dude told me that it wasn't a good idea.

But yeah, RIP.