Let's go with some 70's orchestral soul ARRANGERS!

generiquegenerique 625 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Flomotion mentioned these in the orchestral 70's soul thread:
Gene Orloff, Emanuel Green, Don Sebesky and Lalo Schiffrin
I kinda find it interesting to have some faces behind these arrangements. I understand the following dude has done arrangements on tons of records, from The Jacksons to Rufus (and arranger for Prince later on): Clare Fischer[/b]He really brought some old fashioned sophistication to some recordings. If you know his record 'Songs for Rainy Day Lovers' you'll know where he's comming from. Great, kind of under the radar dude. Can't fuck with his organ playing too.This guy is talking this kind of shit in interviews: "I think one of the worst things that has ever happened in the world is the so-called jazz education. One thing is, that they have finally gotten to the point where they produced so many people that they have taken on what I would refer to as semi-illiterate chord symbols."Now, think about this. When you have a chord and a member was altered, it was originally made a minus when it was lowered, and a plus when it was raised....If you wrote those chords out -- let's say you have C7 with a lowered ninth -- you wrote it out and it became a Db. So somebody started saying C7 flat nine."Well, that works for C, F, Bb, Eb, but by the time you get to Ab, the ninth is already a Bb. Do you say Ab7 double flat 9? No. But you would have to in order to get the right note. By the time you get to B, the natural ninth is a C#. Do you flat the sharp to make it natural?"That's absurd linguistically, theoretically, and everything else. And that's the common state of how it is out there, so that I have a German publisher and I now have to urge him to not change my chord symbols! My chord symbols are there because they are something that I considered and they are there because they make sense, and I don't want to go off into the realm of semi-illiteracy which is what the jazz nomenclature is."Yeah, tell it like it is!Any other "silent forces" behind the music?

Comments

• Dave Mathews........(James Brown )
    J.J. Johnson .......( Marvin Gaye)
    Coleridge-Taylor Perkinson......(Leon Ware)
    Johnny Pate...........(the man behind Superfly, The Impressions)
    Richard Tufo...................(past superfly-Curtis Mayfield, The impressions)
    Gene Page ............(Barry White)

so many others

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    west coast - Rene Hall
    east coast - Horace Ott

and everything that S79 said (funny how i disagree with you about Funk but 100% agree with your orch arr. list....)

• ....and everything that S79 said (funny how i disagree with you about Funk but 100% agree with your orch arr. list....)

I don't disagree with you abt Funk........I just prefer old school-flavoured funk

• Can't leave out Willie Mitchell (Hi Records)...