damn - haven't seen one of this on sale 4 a while

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4720699865Haveing said that, I have probably shot myself in the foot in terms of winning it since about 867 other strutters will be watching it now, but I'm probably not cashed up enough for it anyway - and besides, another of my white whales is ending in 8 minutes!

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Make that 4 minutes!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i heard that record isnt all that good, which seems to be how every expensive soul/funk lp is these days

• Make that 4 minutes!

DO TELL!!!!

Make that 4 minutes!

DO TELL!!!!

Jack Wilkins - Windows LP

that you that won?

It might be.

• What's the story on it? (the mainstream LP, not the magnum)

You don't know it? Its the funky version of 'red clay' that tribe sampled for something. But its just a really good funky cover of that number. I've seen it go for more than a bill on ebay before, so I was rathe rhoping I'd snag it for around the $70 mark.

• You don't know it? Its the funky version of 'red clay' that tribe sampled for something. But its just a really good funky cover of that number. I've seen it go for more than a bill on ebay before, so I was rathe rhoping I'd snag it for around the $70 mark.

Naw I didn't know it. I mean I could do a google search and say "yeahhhh oh that one with the RED CLAY cover I found out about on THEBREAKS.COM" but nah. I've seen a lot of mainstream LPs out there, but not that one. Sounds nice tho!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    wow. i never understood why the jack wilkins got so much props. never sounded THAT much different than ol freddie's version to me. glad you grabbed your whale by the throat though.

Yeah... it's just one of those things i had to have. Been looking for it for years and it just never turns up.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    is that the one with the vocal version of "red clay" on it?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    no, thats the mark murphy. that shit sounds refreshingly different.
    theres some other versions out there too that have breaks andor stay funkity

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    A Magnum went for sale last year in June. Closing bid was for $163. The band's 45s actually show up quite often and for reasonable prices usually.

As for the Jack Wilkens, it's a good version of Red Clay, but like TripleD said, it doesn't really sound different from the original. Not saying the song isn't good, but for the $$$ that thing usually goes for on eBay it's not worth it. Would rather just try to randomly find it in a store (which hasn't[/b] happened to me by the way) than bid on it on eBay where the price will be inflated. Not only that, but there's nothing really else that good on the record.

The last couple Wilkins I saw go on eBay went anywhere from $40 all the way to $102.

• what do you know about the high school record with a vocal version?

80s high school hot

(plus it my high school hahaha)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    what do you know about the version with the open drums that I'm going to throw in eBay later on this month?

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    note that there are 2 original pressings of fully loaded, one with a semi-annoying hiss all the way through and one that plays all clean. you can't tell them apart without taking a listen.

• what do you know about the high school record with a vocal version?

80s high school hot

(plus it my high school hahaha)

Gunn High School?

I dig the Red Clay on there. Vocals sound cool too!

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    i heard that record isnt all that good, which seems to be how every expensive soul/funk lp is these days

Magnum is Dooope! "Witches Brew?" Yes Plaese.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    A Magnum went for sale last year in June. Closing bid was for $163.

I also won one in Jan. on tha bay for about the same....

Mark Murphys version of Red Clay kills shit

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    A Magnum went for sale last year in June. Closing bid was for $163. The band's 45s actually show up quite often and for reasonable prices usually.

As for the Jack Wilkens, it's a good version of Red Clay, but like TripleD said, it doesn't really sound different from the original. Not saying the song isn't good, but for the $$$ that thing usually goes for on eBay it's not worth it. Would rather just try to randomly find it in a store (which hasn't[/b] happened to me by the way) than bid on it on eBay where the price will be inflated. Not only that, but there's nothing really else that good on the record.

The last couple Wilkins I saw go on eBay went anywhere from $40 all the way to $102.

i had no idea that wilkins was going for so much. sold mine a long time ago for about 15.

the rest of the record is just bop guitar.

dave

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

i had no idea that wilkins was going for so much. sold mine a long time ago for about 15.

the rest of the record is just bop guitar.

dave

It's definitely hard to find because I've never seen one in a store, and they rarely show up on eBay, hence the price range, but like we'be both said, it doesn't really go beyond one song.