Race in America: Lil Kim Vs Martha Stewart

Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Lil' Kim reports to detention center in Philadelphia[/b]PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- Rapper Lil' Kim began serving a 366-day prison sentence Monday for her conviction on charges stemming from a 2001 shootout outside a New York City radio station.The 30-year-old entertainer, whose real name is Kimberly Jones, was whisked into the federal detention center past a throng of media, fans and passers-by at about 4:45 p.m.Earlier, she issued a statement saying she had "unfortunately" been assigned to the concrete, high-rise Philadelphia facility instead of to a prison camp "as discussed."[/b]She added: "I am not certain that this constitutes fair and equal treatment."[/b]Her lawyer, L. Londell McMillan, said a celebrity like Lil' Kim could be in danger in the detention center."Why should a female hip-hop artist have to spend time in an urban concrete jungle while other female prisoners are assigned to rural, suburban-type prison camps?" said McMillan, adding that he would seek to have his client reassigned.Calls to the federal Bureau of Prisons and the U.S. Marshals Service were not returned Monday.The 4-foot-11 rapper, who was convicted of lying about the gun battle to a federal grand jury and in the subsequent trial, brought about 20 to 25 people to Philadelphia with her in two RVs. Her mother, brother and lawyer were allowed to accompany her briefly into the detention center to say goodbye, McMillan said."She was upbeat, smiling," he said. "She told her mom not to cry and to stay strong."Lil' Kim will be assigned to a female work cadre at the coed prison, McMillan said, noting that she could be out in nine months with good behavior."Today begins a new saga in my life which I expect to strengthen me and allow me time for reflection," Lil' Kim said in her statement. "I plan to write music while in prison, read and pray regularly and will come out a stronger, more confident woman."The gunplay erupted outside WQHT-FM, known as Hot 97, in Manhattan when Lil' Kim's entourage crossed paths with a rival rap group, Capone-N-Noreaga.Lil' Kim's group confronted the others about the Capone-N-Noreaga song "Bang, Bang," which contained an insult to Lil' Kim from rival Foxy Brown. One man was hurt in the shootout that followed.Before the grand jury and at the trial, the rapper claimed she did not notice two of her close friends at the scene of the shootout -- her manager, Damion Butler, and Suif Jackson. Both have pleaded guilty to gun charges.Jurors at Lil' Kim's trial saw radio station security photos that depicted Butler opening a door for the rap star, and two witnesses who once made records with Lil' Kim said they saw her at the station with Butler and Jackson. She was convicted of perjury and conspiracy.Though several high-profile male rappers -- including Beanie Sigel and Tupac Shakur -- have done time in jail, Lil' Kim is the first big-name female rapper to serve a prison sentence.Lil' Kim's fourth album, "The Naked Truth," is due out next week. She won a Grammy in 2001 for her part in the hit remake of "Lady Marmalade."At last month's MTV Video Music Awards, MTV personality Sway delicately asked if she had anything to say to fans who "might not see you for a while.""You can write me letters," Lil' Kim said.

Comments

• Not a lot of tact by the feds. I can't believe it's a co-ed prison. I bet a lot of the male convicts are getting excited to even catch a glimpse of her ass.

• It ain't race. It's money and Martha has a lot more of it.

Does sex (gender) have a part to play in this as well?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I'd give her plastic surgeon 20 to life for crimes against humanity. If it isn't broken, don't "fix" it!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    doesnt the fact that she was indicted due to involvement in a VIOLENT crimehave anything to do with it??

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    It ain't race. It's money and Martha has a lot more of it.

oh, ok.

doesnt the fact that she was indicted due to involvement in a VIOLENT crimehave anything to do with it??

Quite possibly.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

what are you trying to say?

• However if her lawyer had worked out a deal with the DA to go to one prison, why is she being sent to this one? Sounds like a "clerical" f*ck up.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Sounds like a "clerical" f*ck up.

AKA government's business as usual...

• DAs make all sorts of "promises" that they don't really have the power to keep.

• I'd give her plastic surgeon 20 to life for crimes against humanity. If it isn't broken, don't "fix" it!

People have been saying how she caught some bad surgery/became a man. I've only seen the same airbrushed-ass promo shoots and sunglassed paparazzi photos in the press. Can someone post some better ones of her transition? I wanna see this.

• DAs make all sorts of "promises" that they don't really have any intention of keeping

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Stop bashing on lil kim!

Anyway, I dunno if Not snitching really qualifies as a violent crime.

...Should be good for her rap career. If not we may have to talk about sexism.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

yeah, HER crime wasnt violent.

Im for sure gonna say its the money thing. Who pulls more weight? Kim or martha?

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    no her specific crime wasnt violent but the crime she was charged with was conspiracy involvement in a shooting.

a SHOOTING people.. its alot bigger deal to be involved in a gun crime than a conspiracy to make extra dollars on your stocks.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

a SHOOTING people

a SHOOTING people

a SHOOTING people

a SHOOTING people

a SHOOTING people

Both got caught in lies about situations bigger than their 'personal' involvement, that's what their cases were about. They both were found guilty, I am just saying...both these women are RICH, saying that it's all because Martha is MORE filthy rich, well, it kinda underlines my point. Does Oprah have to do time before it's not JUST about $$$? How obvious do things really have to be?

• Anybody heard that track that's got one of the rappers that "snitched" on Kim rhymin about the whole thing?

I heard it once on a radio show a month back. When I realized who it was and what he was rhyming about I was like --- wow. He's all defensive and its sad-soundin'

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    To me, it's obviously a race issue.

-e

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I think the difference between Ken Lay and Martha is a better comparison

I think the difference between Ken Lay and Martha is a better comparison

Yeah, M Diddy didn't actively bilk people out of their savings, she just cheated, cut a pesky corner, broke rules and got caught. You can argue that it still costs people money and affects 'us all', but primarily it's a lapse in judgement to do it in the first place. To lie about it after you did it seems like a pretty normal reaction, same could be said of Kim's situation.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Quite possibly.

The sentencing judge--Gerard Lynch--didn't seem to think so. In remarks from the bench he seemed to suggest that he regretted having to lock her up at all and said explicitly that he didn't think her sentence should be any harsher than the one that Martha Stewart received for a similar offense, hence the term of 366 days.

Quite possibly.

The sentencing judge--Gerard Lynch--didn't seem to think so. In remarks from the bench he seemed to suggest that he regretted having to lock her up at all and said explicitly that he didn't think her sentence should be any harsher than the one that Martha Stewart received for a similar offense, hence the term of 366 days.

So what happened?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Quite possibly.

So what happened?

He gave her 366 days--just like Martha Stewart. I don't think the judge gets to specify what facility a prisoner serves his or her time at--that's probably an administrative decision.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I'd give her plastic surgeon 20 to life for crimes against humanity. If it isn't broken, don't "fix" it! [/b]

• I'd give her plastic surgeon 20 to life for crimes against humanity. If it isn't broken, don't "fix" it! [/b]

again, why are people saying this?

• I'd give her plastic surgeon 20 to life for crimes against humanity. If it isn't broken, don't "fix" it! [/b]

Because she was cute and went and had a buttload of freaky-deaky plastic surgery...

I'd give her plastic surgeon 20 to life for crimes against humanity. If it isn't broken, don't "fix" it! [/b]

Because she was cute and went and had a buttload of freaky-deaky plastic surgery...

And now she looks very olllld when they catch her w/no make up.
    And she did used to be cute.