Akai MPC-2500 coming next month

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
KEY FEATURES1) Improved Akai MPC design??? Large graphic LCD display based on the friendly user interface of the MPC series??? MPC???s iconic ???feel??? and ???groove?????? Velocity and pressure sensitive pads allow for expressive programming, with more pad banks??? New Features such as Chopshop, Patched Phrase, Grid Edit, Effect and LFO sync, Mixer Automation, and Input Thru??? Expanded Pattern-based 100,000 notes, 64-track sequencer and 64 external MIDI channels??? 32-voice full-featured 16bit sampler equipped with up to 128MB RAM (comes with 16MB) 2) Extensive connectivity??? Two MIDI inputs and four MIDI outputs??? Built-in USB Slave port for connection to a Windows or Mac OS computer??? Built-in 10 analog outputs??? 2 1/4??? stereo analog inputs and outputs with 16bit/44.1kHz sampling??? Master/Slave synchronization capabilities: MIDI clock??? 2 Assignable Footswitch inputs3) Sample Library Compatibility- Compatible with Akai MPC1000 Sequence, .wav, Program,MPC2000/2000XL Sequence, .wav, SND, Program, MPC2500 Sequences, .wav, Programs,MPC3000, Z4/Z8.wav and S5000/6000.wav4) Extensive sound control??? Extensive sample editing that includes cut and paste, timestretch, slice, resampling etc, with waveform display??? Dynamic resonant multi-mode filters, 2 envelope generators and 1 LFO for each of the 32 voices??? 2 Q-Link sliders and 2 knobs for real-time control over a wide variety of dynamic changes5) Self-contained ??? Optional user installable Internal hard drive to store custom sound libraries and sequences??? Optional user installable CD-RW drive to load CD-ROM libraries, sample Audio CDs, and backup personal dataSPECIFICATIONSSOUND GENERATOR??? Sampling rate 44.1kHz??? Memory capacity 16MB standard (11.5MB for sound memory), expandable to 128MB??? Recording time 136sec. (16MB, MONO), 24m28sec. (128MB, MONO)??? Memory expansion slot 1 x for optional EXM128??? Data format 16-bit linear??? Polyphony 32??? Dynamic filtering 2 x 2-pole filter per voice??? Filter type Low pass, Band pass, High pass??? Preset sound memory 5MB??? Number of programs 24EFFECTS??? Effects 2 stereo effects and Master effectEffect type Chorus, Flanger, Bit grunger, 4 band EQ, Compressor, Phase shifter, Tremolo, Flying Pan, Reverb, Delay??? Master effect: 4 band EQ, CompressorSEQUENCER??? Maximum events 100,000 notes??? Resolution 96 parts per 1/4-note??? Sequences 99??? Tracks per sequence 64??? MIDI output channels 64 (16 channels x 4 outputs)??? Song mode 20 songs, 250 steps per song??? Drum pad 16 (velocity and pressure sensitive)??? Drum pad banks 4??? Sync mode MIDI clockDRUM PADS:??? 16 velocity and pressure sensitive pads??? 4 pad banks??? 16 Levels: Velocity, Tuning??? Automated Pad Mixer (Level, Pan and FX send)??? Track Mute and Next Sequence features for live performanceDATA COMPATIBILITY??? MPC1000 SEQ, WAV, PGM??? MPC2000/2000XL SEQ, WAV, SND, PGM (Most parameters of PGM file can be loaded.)??? MPC2500 SEQ, WAV, PGM (DRUM program only. Only note assign and tune are loaded.)??? MPC3000 SND (THRU Computer)??? Z4/Z8 WAV only??? S5000/6000 WAV only (THRU Computer)??? S1000/3000 No compatibilitySPECIFICATIONSQ-LINK??? 2 sliders and 2 rotary knobs??? Assignable to internal sampler controls: pitch, filter cutoff, resonance, LFO, attack, decay, and Assignable to internal effects parameters??? Assignable to external Midi ControllersGENERAL??? 240 x 64 dot graphic LCD w/back light??? Compact Flash (up to 2GB)CONNECTIONS??? Record input (L and R) 1/4-inch stereo phone x 2, balanced -40dBu, input impedance 11k ohms;??? Max. Input level +10dBu??? Digital input RCA-pin x 1 S/PDIF??? Stereo output (L and R) 1/4-inch phone x 2 balanced +11dBu, output impedance 1k Ohms,??? Max. output level +22dBu??? 4 individual outputs 1/4-inch phone x 4 balanced +11dBu, output impedance 1k Ohms,??? Max. output level +22dBu??? Phones output 1/4-inch stereo phone x 1, 200mW / 100 ohms??? Digital output RCA-pin x 1 S/PDIF??? MIDI inputs 5-pin DIN x 2??? MIDI outputs 5-pin DIN x 4??? USB Slave connector x 1, USB MASS STORAGE CLASS support??? (You need Windows 2000/Me/XP or later version, or MacOS 9.x/10.x or later version.)??? Footswitches 1/4-inch phone x 2POWER??? 100-240V AC, 50/60Hz??? Consumption: 70W max (with all options)STANDARD ACCESSORIES32MB Compact Flash card, Power cable, Operator's manualOPTIONSEXM128 128MB expansion memory card

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I don't understand why anyone would get this when everyone has a computer and you can do all the shit this does with a MPC1000 and a computer.

• I dont need one, but I want one. Bad.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    ??? New Features such as Chopshop, Patched Phrase, Grid Edit, Effect and LEO sayer [/b], Mixer Automation, and Input Thru

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

a MPC1000 and a computer.

computers aint 'that real shit'...real Phil headz know the deal

• looks beautiful to me

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

looks beautiful to me

Unless your left handed, then those faders look to be in the way of the pads.

• your name is killallhippies. That's funny. Watch out for Guzzo.

• viral marketing at it's finest.

Hey, you forgot to put the MAP on that spec sheet!

But I have to admit 10 OUTPUTS!!!! That's bananas. The 4000 doesn't even have that.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    this looks kinda sweet if you dont already have an mpc and want to only have one piece of gear for a while.

i wouldnt trade my 2000xl for one, that would seem kinda dumb. most of the shit i can't do on the 2000 i can finish off on my computer.

i do like that the 2500 has 4 midi outs and built in effects with better filters. thats the best part from what i can tell.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    10 OUTPUTS!!!!

damn, missed that. that is hot.

see, i always thought the 4000 was WAY overkill. i think this 2500 is like a 2000xl to the max, where as the 4000 is a 2000xl on steroids.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I would definitely trade my 2000 for this jammy ... damn thing looks like a tank and the specs make it seem to be a damn work horse.

x2

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I would definitely trade my 2000 for this jammy ... damn thing looks like a tank and the specs make it seem to be a damn work horse.

x2

After reading all that, it's definitley worth thinking about.

I lub my 2000XL tho.

X3

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I think it's supposed to retail for $2,000. The new 2000XL retails for $1,299, I think and the 1000 is $999. Those are all "retail" prices though.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    10 outputs is hot!!!! 4 midi outs is also cool!

But the 4000 used runs something like 2400 bucks. And you got much better sound quality and a 40 gig drive. It sounds like overkill, but its actually pretty damn serious.

Its true that you can do everything on a computer that you can on an mpc, but an mpc is still wayyyy more fun in my opinion.

• 10 outputs is hot!!!! 4 midi outs is also cool!

But the 4000 runs something like 24002700 bucks. And you got much better sound quality and a 4060 gig drive. It sounds like overkill, but its actually pretty damn serious.

Its true that you can do everything on a computer that you can on an mpc, but an mpc is still wayyyy more fun in my opinion.

• if it wasnt for the designer of the sp1200,there would be no mpc's.and you producers with 20minute memory,fuck ya!long live "ten seconds"

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

So am I really the only one thats the other way around?

Give me some real keys over pads any day... Gimme a mouse to navigate instead of that wheel... Gimme a 19" over that tiny LCD... Gimme Cubase/Logic/FL/ACID/Live over that MPC sequencer... You get the picture.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I dont need one, but I want one. Bad.

• let's hope the time stretching and re-sampling aren't as fucking slow as the 2000xl. that thing looks sweet. i used to be a die hard mpc user, but it's getting replaced by a g5 running kontakt in the next few months.

• viral marketing at it's finest.

Hey, you forgot to put the MAP on that spec sheet!

But I have to admit 10 OUTPUTS!!!! That's bananas. The 4000 doesn't even have that.

Actually... if you use the 2 stereo, optional 8 and adat card togther you get 18 on the 4000...
    The 4000 is what I am currently using, and it is by far the best MPC out there (specifically the 24 bit, 96k sound engine). Im just hoping that AKAI gets thier shit togther and builds a OS as good a the Roger Linn 3.11 software for the 60 and 3000.

• ps: KAM...

I'm selling a Novation X-Station with the full Native Bundle for cheap... get at me if you are interested.

• if it wasnt for the designer of the sp1200,there would be no mpc's.and you producers with 20minute memory,fuck ya!long live "ten seconds"

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    if it wasnt for the designer of the sp1200,there would be no mpc's.and you producers with 20minute memory,fuck ya!long live "ten seconds"

WHOA.

Takin it back.

I'm new to the mpc game. Our DJ is letting me borrow his 2000 and I must say, it's totally different than software...it takes some getting used to, but I'm having fun with it. Plus the sounds come out a lot warmer on the MPC.

• Yes they do...

Though I must say WORST DRUM PADS EVER.

So am I really the only one thats the other way around?

Give me some real keys over pads any day... Gimme a mouse to navigate instead of that wheel... Gimme a 19" over that tiny LCD... Gimme Cubase/Logic/FL/ACID/Live over that MPC sequencer... You get the picture.

thats why you hook a keyboard up.

have you seriously ever owned one? Or are you just saying that you like your setup. cause i used to be all software, but I wouldnt go back. You can do more. But theres much to be said for something that actually limits your options.

• Homies: also in pertinent classic hiphop gear discussion, I currently have in possesion the best 4-track cassette recorder ever made. Akai's MG614 (of the same AKAI Professional Series as the 60 and 3000) is rumored to be the machine that was used for both the first Gangstarr record and a considerable amount of the first Pete Rock and CL record. It has SMPTE ins and outs, 6 channels of incredible EQ, (2 aux channels, so you can mix your SP though an external mixer sync'd to the smpte'd vocals) and inserts for compressors on each channel. (You can see it on the back of the 2nd PRock and CL record, in the lab). Anyways, I was thinking about selling it, but only if it goes to an actual collector/producer/good home aside from a bougie internet hood with an collection of moogs and Sp's that never get turned on. Get at me if you folks might be interested.

(take that shit to mybrokeass.com)

Homies: also in pertinent classic hiphop gear discussion, I currently have in possesion the best 4-track cassette recorder ever made. Akai's MG614 (of the same AKAI Professional Series as the 60 and 3000) is rumored to be the machine that was used for both the first Gangstarr record and a considerable amount of the first Pete Rock and CL record. It has SMPTE ins and outs, 6 channels of incredible EQ, (2 aux channels, so you can mix your SP though an external mixer sync'd to the smpte'd vocals) and inserts for compressors on each channel. (You can see it on the back of the 2nd PRock and CL record, in the lab). Anyways, I was thinking about selling it, but only if it goes to an actual collector/producer/good home aside from a bougie internet hood with an collection of moogs and Sp's that never get turned on. Get at me if you folks might be interested.

(take that shit to mybrokeass.com)

haha, that was mabye the best sales pitch for an old tape deck ive ever heard. kudos.

• ps: that mx70 would go real nice next to my MTR10, which I just souped with the ATR service.
    Yall don't wanna see my API setup.

silverarome.

• Speshboogie: did you get some buttons on your SP replaced? I never seen one with black buttons on the "Programming" level before. Looks a little more evil.
    kudos.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

Yall don't wanna see my API setup.

yes i do.

and i might be interested in your tape deck too.

have you checked out the modular boards you can build over at tonelux? looking pretty sweet to me.

thinking about doing a 16 or 24 channel custom board to mix "out the box" by this time next year. we'll see how business goes...