dj cosmo record / 90's / philly

anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Hi...I found a record recently that I can't find any info for (left it at my friends shop). Production credits were for DJ Cosmo / Philly. Cover was a guy, but you couldn't see his face, reddish black cover. I know the cover was posted here in the past. Can someone just refresh my memory about why, and provide some history about the record. Listening stations were down. ThanksL

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Briz "Cannons" B/w "Street Stages" is what I'm thinking is what it was. I did cuts on both sides as well as uncredited post production. 1999 or 2000 I think. Chops recorded it and it came out on Arrakis records. I think I have a copy or 2 lying around.

Is this is?

• yes! thank you. that shit was killing me. ....didn't know you made beats.Emil put me on to some of your mixes. good stuff.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Hi...I found a record recently that I can't find any info for (left it at my friends shop). Production credits were for DJ Cosmo / Philly. Cover was a guy, but you couldn't see his face, reddish black cover. I know the cover was posted here in the past. Can someone just refresh my memory about why, and provide some history about the record. Listening stations were down. am about to record, upload and send to Day in a PM. Thanks
    L

dope!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That record isn't that good though. They're not my beats, I just came in after the fact with some added shit.

That fucking mouse is back in my house again.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That record isn't that good though. They're not my beats

• did he tell you to post the mix?

kidding

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    follio - I just want to hear some scratching

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I was cutting up this really weird old record that has a dad molesting his son, it was weird, the story was how the dad was going to punish the kid but instead he made the kid beat him with the belt. So I was cutting up the parts where he was being smacked by the belt: "Hit me AGAIN" "HARDER" and then the kid saying "PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME HURT YOU..." I still got that record around here as well. Shit had CRAZY beats on it.

That was "Street Stages." For "Cannons" I just scratched 1 time Busta Rhymes "Boom from the cannon."

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I was cutting up this really weird old record that has a dad molesting his son, it was weird, the story was how the dad was going to punish the kid but instead he made the kid beat him with the belt. So I was cutting up the parts where he was being smacked by the belt: "Hit me AGAIN" "HARDER" and then the kid saying "PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME HURT YOU..." I still got that record around here as well. Shit had CRAZY beats on it.

That was "Street Stages." For "Cannons" I just scratched 1 time Busta Rhymes "Boom from the cannon."

dude,

what the fuck???!!!

You're making that shit up, man.

Now I REALLY gotta hear this.

L***** plaese to send.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I am not making this up.

• Don't make me find my copy to post a file...

• I have that record. I got it for free when Briz opened up a show at the TLA. I was taking the bus home from the show and he was on the bus too. Not a He gave me a copy of the record. He always used to be in Cue records looking at his own stock and checking to see if any of it sold. He would show you the record and try and get you to buy it. Also a good friend of mine in high schools sister dated the guy who started Arrakis Records. I cant remember dudes name. I remember seeing them doing promotion at a couple of shows then they just disappeared from the scene.

The record isn't that good. Although I always thought Black Narcissist was a good MC name.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I'm glad you can aknowledge the suckitude of that record, Cos.

Philly underground hip-hop is pretty disgraceful. Reef is dope, but that's about it.

-e

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

dude. i think i have that record. it is trully bizarre. they do a cover of rufus -"tell me something good" on it too if i remember correctly.

Richmond's Cense one did the outline on the cover, right?

• I dunno, I'm still an avid fan of Militant Mind State/Munk With The Funk, etc.

• ootoot 38 Posts
    briiiiiiiiz

yea, i had a couple production credits on arrakis. there's still some stockleft over here:

http://www.thegiantpeach.com/_cart2.0/customer/home.php?cat=316

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I dunno, I'm still an avid fan of Militant Mind State/Munk With The Funk, etc.

Yeah. Those records came before the Briz one. There are some really good records on Illadelph, definitely some that I'm proud of. Plus all that Illadelph shit was like Philly's first big indie of the time, during the resurgence of indies - 1995 through 2001.

And yeah Cense did the outline. MSP stand up.

• I dunno, I'm still an avid fan of Militant Mind State/Munk With The Funk, etc.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    Philly underground hip-hop is pretty disgraceful. Reef is dope, but that's about it.

do you seriously believe this?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

do you seriously believe this?

Cas, Philly underground these days is pretty bad.

• ootoot 38 Posts
    cats is just unorganized. and kindof territorial - no one wants to work together on some inmate lunch tray, hover over your meal with forks erect type shit. there are a few cats making some moves, tho. the illvibe dudes, although not really producers, really have their shit together. prophets of the ghetto (84) are tight to me.

• cascas 1,484 Posts

Cas, Philly underground these days is pretty bad.

these days. i took what was said as meaning "overall".

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

The same thing happened to me last night, my wife and I are chilling enjoying the peace and quiet of 10pm and I see a mouse under my kitchen table...