7 Slipmats - Discuss

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited September 2005 in Record Collecting
Bought these "MatsMats" at the Groove Merchant. Not cheap: $18.I initially thought they were a good idea - at least creative - but I realized they're not as hot as i originally assumed they might be. For one thing, you have to take off your normal slip mats to use them which is fine if you're spinning 7"s all night long, but not if you're in the middle of a mix using various 12"s and 7"s. Also, the center isn't very adjustable - if your center 7" hole doesn't meet its specifications, it can be an awkward fit. What i want to know is this: how come nobody brings back the 12" adapaters for 7"s, like how Cash Money rocks it? It can't be that expnesive to make them, can it?

Comments

• What i want to know is this: how come nobody brings back the 12" adapaters for 7"s, like how Cash Money rocks it? It can't be that expnesive to make them, can it?

Please to explain a little more about this / how it works, etc.

Years ago I'd actually glue or tape 7"s to a 12" that I wanted to cut or catch.

But the idea of an "adapter" sounds intriguing.

• i thought they looked clever too. though i passed on them and am planning on buying the 45 adapters that are cone shaped (i think those aren't cheap either). what do the 12" adapters for 7" look like?

• rookrook 357 Posts
    i think this is the same type shits. put out by magnetic fields (quantic soul orchestra). they look tight but i dunno

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

What i want to know is this: how come nobody brings back the 12" adapaters for 7"s, like how Cash Money rocks it? It can't be that expnesive to make them, can it?

Yeah it actually costs $4000 to get the mold made (in the US) and about $9000 to make 10,000 of them, which is about the minimum you would want to do. If you do it in China, it costs a lot of money to get a go-between who speaks Chinese to get them to do the Specs right and you have to bribe them not to bootleg it. I was going to do it but I don't want to get into trying to move 5000 pairs of those things. Especially since digital djing is so big now.

• Wow. That's pretty fresh.
    But how do you get the 7" to stay still in the adapter while you're cutting it / backspinning, etc.??

• and do you have to take it off if you want to play a 12"?

edit: looks like the bump in the center hole holds it in but isnt as high as the spindle...

• Options
    and do you have to take it off if you want to play a 12"?

edit: looks like the bump in the center hole holds it in but isnt as high as the spindle...

If you take them adapters off, you might be able to fit some thinly sliced white bread below the 12 as well. Just a thought.

K.

• and do you have to take it off if you want to play a 12"?

If you take them adapters off, you might be able to fit some thinly sliced white bread below the 12 as well. Just a thought.

K.

just in case you get hungry?? personally the only thing white bread is good for is soaking up bbq sauce. other than that its good for squishing into tiny balls and throwing to the birds.

• Options

K.

just in case you get hungry?? personally the only thing white bread is good for is soaking up bbq sauce. other than that its good for squishing into tiny balls and throwing to the birds.

I don't eat it myself, even though I am it, but I can't recall a non-white bread being offered in thin slices. Rye is to solid and non-squishy - might scratch your record, too.

I think you have to take those adapters off to play your 12, unless you want it hovering like a saucer...on a piece of thinly sliced white bread.

Kevin.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Wow. That's pretty fresh.

But how do you get the 7" to stay still in the adapter while you're cutting it / backspinning, etc.??

hi paul. you still cut by touching the actual 7" (or the label). you can't see it but there is a thin felt slipmat under the 45 (glued to the plastic). it works really well.

you know how a regular 45 adaptor can jump out of the hole (causing the record to slide sideways under it). this prevents that so it is easier to cue and scratch. it also weighs down the slipmat better than a regular adaptor. also these are really good for switching 45 really fast because you can just drop them on there and they go right into place.

K.

lol

In other words if you want to play a 12" you take the adaptor off.

• i just ask because in the rub photo it looks like there is a ring at about 10". seems like it would support the record if you wanted to throw a 12" on. i.e. the record is supported between the 45 hole and the other ring.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Like whizoa...$13,000. Ouchie.

Ok, so much for that idea.

Oliver

What i want to know is this: how come nobody brings back the 12" adapaters for 7"s, like how Cash Money rocks it? It can't be that expnesive to make them, can it?

Yeah it actually costs $4000 to get the mold made (in the US) and about $9000 to make 10,000 of them, which is about the minimum you would want to do. If you do it in China, it costs a lot of money to get a go-between who speaks Chinese to get them to do the Specs right and you have to bribe them not to bootleg it. I was going to do it but I don't want to get into trying to move 5000 pairs of those things. Especially since digital djing is so big now.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    i just ask because in the rub photo it looks like there is a ring at about 10". seems like it would support the record if you wanted to throw a 12" on. i.e. the record is supported between the 45 hole and the other ring.

no that is there so if the needle jumps off the 45 it does careen off the plate, it rides inside the ring. it isn't as high as the adaptor part in the middle.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Like whizoa...$13,000. Ouchie.

Ok, so much for that idea.

Oliver

It isn't impossible but it also isn't a little dude undertaking. I still think about it - I mean if they cost $1.30 and you can sell them for $12 it is about the same profit margins as CDs. But I just don't know if there is enough demand.

• i'd say in reality you could probably sell them for between $5-8. unless you want to sell them all yourself, you need to leave a little room for the stores / distributors to profit as well. but if you sold out you would still be doing pretty nice.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    But I just don't know if there is enough demand.

Especially since digital djing is so big now.

Is it time to sell my records?

• But I just don't know if there is enough demand.

Especially since digital djing is so big now.

Is it time to sell my records?

nah nobody buys records any more... plaese to dispose of them in the alley exposition place the 3200 block to be specific. note: you can put them right next to the burnt out escalade.

• What i want to know is this: how come nobody brings back the 12" adapaters for 7"s, like how Cash Money rocks it? It can't be that expnesive to make them, can it?

those things are so dope. ive been fiending for em ever since i saw you cop in edison. dang i slept.
    urrs, my boy chris has a china connection. he should be able to get the mold made out there cheaply and then bring it back here for duplication. he may even want to handle biz side. fuck it...someones gotta do it.

do they ever turn up on the bay? i never seen em the times i checked

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I've never been able to find anything about them on the internet at all. Chris Johnsons Ghost or Chris Somebody Else? I'm definitely down to invest / design / etc if someone else can handle the production. Jasper and Pete are down to help get them to distro. The $5 - $8 model is definitely on point for distribution and wholesale. The $12 is what I picture for retail although I imagine in UK and Japan they will go for more.

• i can draw them up for production. build a 3d model etc if necessary. when shit settles down here next week i'll look into a few places that can make molds here. i also have a friend who had some shit made in china and can ask him for some help on getting it made over there if necessary. though personally seems like that is playing the wallmart game just to play. but i need to do research before i...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't think you'd be able to sell 5,000 that easily but 1,000 pairs? Yeah, definitely.

• just out of curiosity what percentage of 7??? records don???t require the 45 adapter? i know punk records were coming out with a small hole and i have see a few others, but not many.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I don't think you'd be able to sell 5,000 that easily but 1,000 pairs? Yeah, definitely.

that would just hit the break even point, so not really worth it. At 2000 pieces the price per unit would be way higher, because you still have to get the model made in Autocad, buy the felt and get it die cut, make the packaging, etc in addition to fabrication.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    We have discussed these before. I have a pair of the original SX2's and actually tracked down the guy that made them originally and the molds were destroyed! I was trying to buy them. I'm surprised they haven't came out again as well. I was seriously thinking about doing these as well and making some slight changes to make them better. they seem to crack easily, I seen Kenny Meez and his were all tapped up on the bottom. I had to super glue mine in a few spots. I love them though and everyone freaks when I break em' out deejaying. I have people trying to secretly take pictures of them. I know they used to show up In Jersey and Philly. Very very hard to get. Ayers, let me know what's up as I found the same info. you did. About 8-9K to make the mold.

• just out of curiosity what percentage of 7??? records don???t require the 45 adapter? i know punk records were coming out with a small hole and i have see a few others, but not many.

A UK pressing 45.

• i purchased both

the matts mats and the magnetic fields slipmats

the magnetic fields mats are much better...easier and more secure fit than the matts mats and more flexible

not to say the matts mats dont do the job tho....both are a good buy imo

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    I've never been able to find anything about them on the internet at all. Chris Johnsons Ghost or Chris Somebody Else? I'm definitely down to invest / design / etc if someone else can handle the production. Jasper and Pete are down to help get them to distro. The $5 - $8 model is definitely on point for distribution and wholesale. The $12 is what I picture for retail although I imagine in UK and Japan they will go for more.

You all need to stop trying to finance your lil dude projects with the money of your fellow overseas collectors !!!!

Seriously, if you can work oput distribution it should be no problem to sell 5.000. I can hook you up with Groove Attack fo Germany and Boombox for the UK. I know for sure at least 10 djs in my area who would buy them.

• I know for sure at least 10 djs in my area who would buy them.

thats a good start....4990 to go.

mold in china, pressing in the states
    my mans got china hookups but it sounds like spaceghost might have someone too

please to make it happen

• i know loads of people who would buy these, id say 3000 units would sell no bother, i would pay $30-$40 a set no problem, florian keller had a set and they were fucking great, his were also all taped up and cracked

• We have discussed these before. I have a pair of the original SX2's and actually tracked down the guy that made them originally and the molds were destroyed!

could somebody plaese post pictures of the originals? describe in detail if possible material and texture of both sides of the mat? i have a few ideas of my own which might improve said mats (sounds like they might not need much improvement, but i think it is always worth trying).

tripledouble: seems like it would make more sense to make the mold here. have more opportunity to be hands on. make adjustments and answer questions. once you have the mold perfect everything is autopilot, anybody can make something with a mold. i know there will probably be a large cost difference but if this proceeds to production i would research the difference and make a decision if it is worth the extra profit to send it overseas. it is not that i am rah-rahing "made in america" , just want to be sure that the people who make it are taken care of as well.