Last Night We Got Down for Hurricane Relief (pics fixed)

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Last night, several hundred of Portland's most upstanding citizens came out to dance and raise money for hurricane relief. Strutter Longtallsimon played an endless array of minty organ jams for his new boss Craig Moerer. While DrWu (aka Mr Funky) and Ian the Soul Inspectah shook the crowd with loads of NOLA related jernts. A great time was had by all even after this drunken batch creamed my decks, breaking my new needle. We soldiered on playing the last 30 min on a single turntable. I got creative with the mic while Inspectah switched over the vinyl. HOVA I am not but most people hung around anyway. Finally, tiring of that routine with slipped on side 2 of Dr John's seminal Right Place, Wrong Time and the party continued until closing. All in all we raised about $1500[/b] for the soulstrut Katrina fund. Word Up! A great big thanks to GT, Scratch, Neil, Q and all the other staff at the Goodfoot for making this possible on such short notice. We'll have a final tally in another few days as donations are continuing to come in.

(l to r Longtallsimon, DrWu, Ian The Soul Inspectah, Craig Moerer)

LTS and Ian holdin' it down

Dr. Wu flexes a little Lee Dorsey.

Like a deer caught in her headlights.

The circle of death

Yes, you can b-boy to Pass The Hatchet

"Prince? Talk to that fool right there. I'm playing Etta James, savy"

Ladies, purses on the dance floor is

That's the bitch that broke my needles right dere. Die!

Comments

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    a. I don't see any "fotting down"

b. I don't see any pics

what gives, Doc?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Pics are coming in loud and clear here. Any reason they wouldn't be working for you?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I dunno

• dayday 9,612 Posts

b. I don't see any pics

what gives, Doc?

Me neither. That's been happening alot lately. What I normally do is hit quote and copy/paste then they show up in the thread afterwards.

Weird.

I HEART THE GOODFOOT

Tell Neil and everyone I said hola

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem? ANyone?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    www.photobucket.com

seems like your kodak site doesn't allow hotlinking.

it's getting nippy in here....

• dayday 9,612 Posts

it's getting nippy in here....

haaarrrr

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Working on getting this fixed. Sorry strutters

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I wish I was over my cold. I would have loved to have been there. By the way, I didn't realize you were Mr. Funky! I haven't seen you around in a while, are you still doing the soul stew nights?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Semi-retired. Have a kid now and the late nights were killing my old ass. We're gonna have some more benefits. I'll make sure to give you a heads up.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

b. I don't see any pics

what gives, Doc?

Me neither. That's been happening alot lately. What I normally do is hit quote and copy/paste then they show up in the thread afterwards.

Weird.

I HEART THE GOODFOOT

Tell Neil and everyone I said hola

GT said to say hello. And BTW he thinks your nice.

• I had a great time spinning (for the first time in about seven years), and meeting some good folks here in Portland. Lotsa love to Jason for putting this together. It's great to see that some nice $$ was raised, sorry to hear about the needle damage though Jason. You can count me in to help out again, and next time I'll stay to complete the night!

-Haim K.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Haim, I found my Planets 45. Decent.

• Haim, I found my Planets 45. Decent.

Surely you don't mean the Mad Planets, my (fairly unlistenable) high school band?!?! Wow, all we did was put out one split EP w/future Franklin people, and played lotsa drunken parties at 17th & Bainbridge. This is Cosmo right? I think I used to hang with you quite a bit circa late 80s via my Central High friends, various graffiti and/or skateborad activity usually, house parties in Oak Lane, Gtown, Mt Airy etc......good times.

Best,
    Haim

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I had a great time spinning (for the first time in about seven years), and meeting some good folks here in Portland. Lotsa love to Jason for putting this together. It's great to see that some nice $$ was raised, sorry to hear about the needle damage though Jason. You can count me in to help out again, and next time I'll stay to complete the night!

-Haim K.

Your help was much appreciated. Hopefully, we'll do it again sometime soon.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, that's what I meant, Mad Planets. Double 45 with Ralphs old band Franklin.
    And don't get me started about high school madness, I could get in trouble haha. Your trip looked fun by the way. Be well, bro.

• OK, I won't share any high school details

wow I have not seen Ralph in ages, lost touch with him but did hear that he moved to Chicago(?) If you're in touch with him please send my best, I miss that dude.

I moved to Portland recently actually (I assume you meant I was on a trip here), if you and/oror any other Philly people ever come through make sure to get in touch (that also applies to all others on here whom I've met)....take care!

PS sorry to most of you reading for the personal/irrelevant info here

wow I have not seen Ralph in ages, lost touch with him but did hear that he moved to Chicago(?) If you're in touch with him please send my best, I miss that dude.

I moved to Portland recently actually (I assume you meant I was on a trip here), if you and/oror any other Philly people ever come through make sure to get in touch (that also applies to all others on here whom I've met)....take care!

Hey Haim! Interesting to see what Craig Moerer looks like. Do you have a plyalist from the night??

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    OK, I won't share any high school details

Hey Haim! Interesting to see what Craig Moerer looks like. Do you have a plyalist from the night??

Is this the same Haim I met through Bill Luther?

It is, indeed...

OK, I won't share any high school details

It is, indeed...

Haim! Small world! It's me Chr*s, from the Spectors. We met a loooong time ago in DC at the Mouse Trap at RED, hooked up by the ubiquitous Bill Luther! Goddamn, that was yeaaaarrrs ago, but whenever I walk by there(which is frequently as I work a bout 2 blocks away) I wonder how you are, and WHERE you are. OK, so not EVERY time I walk by there, but you know!

And you know 'Strutters in real life too! How wonderfully weird the world can be!
    I hope all is well man!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    We also had a katrina party on saturday night. We raised 4100 dollars with the matched funds. Pretty dope for a house party. How bout you guys?

We also had a katrina party on saturday night. We raised 4100 dollars with the matched funds. Pretty dope for a house party. How bout you guys?

Yeah, the BBQ I DJ'ed passed the hat, it was a small party but they raised a few hundred bucks. I'll post some pics later of the kids doing the Cha Cha Slide!

• Hey Larry, I didn't spin too much, 45s were really just cobbled together without much time, can type out playlists later though, thanks for asking! Craig seemed to really enjoy the tunes & atmosphere, a rare time when he hears this type of music in a non-work environment. We were a little surprised hen he showed up!

Chris: great to hear from you on here, how are you?! I remember hanging out in DC at RED, of course. Bill has put me in touch with a lot of great peeple over the years, you and Larry included. Not too long after we split the DC area (in '98), were in Philly, then rural PA, now Portland. Hope all's great with you in DC....will get in touch when I'm back east for sure.

Anyway, great to see so many people involved in gathering all these extra funds - way to go.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    is that at the lodge where we had the night owl record shows? looks like it.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    No sir. Goodfoot is on Stark. The Lodge is over on Hawthorne. They both have that low ceilinged 70s basement bar thing going though. Very appropriate for the funky sounds.