Start of the week Digs

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Huge Monday road trip that incorporated some Skateboarding, a counselling appointment, picking up a drumkit from work, catching up with my sis, checking everything is sweet at my house, and a visit to my friend's grandma. Also involved a stop at a record store in a shithole town that I always drive by. My friend got a couple of Cure LPs and I got.The Go Gos - Beauty & The Beat (IRS)Roy Budd - Some early one with him leaning against a car looking dapper, but I left it at my house which is 3 hours drive away from where I am staying at the moment so I can't remember the title. (Pye) and minty.Buddy Miles - Them Changes (Fontana) and minty.Not bad for a snap decision to stop and $20 for all 3.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    $20 US or $20 NZ dollars?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    $20 US or $20 NZ dollars?

why do you care?

i've edited this post to make sure that my sarcasm was evident in the statement.

• moonheadmoonhead 28 Posts
    picked up ike turner - a black mans soul and weldon irvine - cosmic vortex today

• Welcome to the herd, Moonhead! How about an introduction?

I am a nerd

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    $20US/$30NZ. For the nerd who cares.

• found a nice stack of disco/hiphop 12"s today 2 euros a piece

bobby byrd - i know you got soul
    clark sisters - you brought me sunshine
    club nouveau - why you treat me so bad
    cream d cocoa - baby dont you know
    marvin gaye - got to give it up
    family stand - ghetto heaven
    fat larrys band - dont let it go to your head
    billy frazier - billy who
    spoonie gee - godfather
    guru - feel the music
    la boppers - be bop dancing
    denroy morgan - i'll do anything for you
    phreek - weekend
    raw silk - just in time
    boz scaggs - lowdown
    tasha thomas - shoot me with your love
    trafassi - wasmasjien
    unlimited touch - searching to find the one
    world famous supreme team - hey dj

• Picked up a french library on the Tele Record label (distr. by Festival)... called Travelling Vol. 4 - some nice ez jazz weirdness...

• "Shogun Assasin" OST LP
    Les McCann "Layers" LP
    Run DMC "Hollis Crew" 12"
    Run DMC "30 Days" 12"

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    George Russell[/b]- Listen to the Silenece (wow.)

King Curtis[/b]- Live at the Fillmore West

Jazz ensemble library[/b]- New Horizons For Jazz

Esther Phillips[/b]- Black-Eyed Blues

Wilson Pickett[/b]- Don't Knock My Love

EPM2 Production Music and Effects[/b] (later Selected Sounds type funk, but better)

Stevie[/b]- Music of My Mind
    -Hotter than July

Don Sebesky[/b]- Rape of El Morro

Benny Golson[/b]- Turn on, Tune In

Horacee Arnold[/b]- Tales of the Exonerated Flea

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Tuesday Morning Thrift Store Scrounges
    Bob Marley - One Love/People Get Ready/So Much Trouble In The World 45
    Louis Armstrong & The All Stars - Play WC Handy 10"LP
    Bill Haley & The Comets - Don't Knock The Rock 10"LP
    Johnnie Taylor - Eargasm LP
    The Avengers - Electric Recording LP
    Now Records/Fanta Soft Drink - The Sounds Of Now LP
    Lee Konitz Big Band - I Giganti Del Jazz Vol.7 LP

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i went on a short alabama trip this weekend, checked out the record show in bessemer and covered my ground between gadsen and montgomery.

the record show was a miss... they moved the large show to august and this was a 30 tables (i'd say more like 20) gig and it was somewhat of a bust, but made the most of it. did almost all the buying out in the world.

managed to go to some interesting out of the way fleas and junk shops.. met a local dude (who i owe serious props for busting through north alabama) and we hit this 5AM flea market (got there and slept til 8 though) and the thing was on the top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere. in the dark in seriously looked like some gypsy camp... there must have been 10 vendors selling puppies, 3 selling chickens, and even one selling the Japanies Pigmey Goat which I quickly translated das Japanese Pygmy Goat.

Here's some of what i brought back:

it's hard to grasp what a stone mint copy of this might be doing in the big band section of an indoor antique market's stall in montgomery

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    and here's some more. sorry to fill up the whole page, just wanted to share this with folks.

private songwriter stuff, how could you not buy this

the back of the record explains that richard started playing ukele but then graduated to guitar. he also drives the tour van as pictured using some special devices that his dad made, having driven 55,000 miles w/out one accident or ticket

back of the atlantis lemuria record... please note that this record was neither the german rock group Atlantis, nor the Hawaiian group Lemuria... instead we have here truly weird pensacola, Fl country. I like the photo on the back cover- apparently the recipient of the record must've had some falling out given the whiteout.
    german hard rock-ish record that's quite left-field. some psych effects, monster break on a cut, and one killer tune.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    nice finds man, looks like alabama worked out OK. hope i have some similar luck while down there next week.

no finds for me, the lunch time thrift stops were a bust.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    dude, you're just like nate fuckin bizzo!!!! you assholes be findin records in the most off the wall places.

"i was in butt-fuck Alabama and a coyote ran up to me with a copy of He's Coming in his mouth, little edgewear, but otherwise mint"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I know it's obvious, but:

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i would venture to say that nate and I may have quite different styles, themack. i currently live in louisiana so venturing to alabama is not that unheard of, nor were checking out any of the spots i did with a little research... half of the fun is going to the out of the way spots, seeing the world out there, meeting strange folks.

• Options

GAAAAAAAAAAA...what the hell was that doing in Alabama?!?!?!? Send it back where it belongs.

• and here's some more. sorry to fill up the whole page, just wanted to share

at least he's nice about it. dang man! nice digs.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i would venture to say that nate and I may have quite different styles, themack. i currently live in louisiana so venturing to alabama is not that unheard of, nor were checking out any of the spots i did with a little research... half of the fun is going to the out of the way spots, seeing the world out there, meeting strange folks.
    naw im just comparing your twos skill to find records(very raer ones at that) in the most unlikely places. nawmean?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    managed to go to some interesting out of the way fleas and junk shops.. met a local dude (who i owe serious props for busting through north alabama) and we hit this 5AM flea market (got there and slept til 8 though) and the thing was on the top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere. in the dark in seriously looked like some gypsy camp... there must have been 10 vendors selling puppies, 3 selling chickens, and even one selling the Japanies Pigmey Goat which I quickly translated das Japanese Pygmy Goat.

dude, you're just like nate fuckin bizzo!!!! you assholes be findin records in the most off the wall places.

"i was in butt-fuck Alabama and a coyote ran up to me with a copy of He's Coming in his mouth, little edgewear, but otherwise mint"

No no no no no no, NO!

This is on some fucking rain man gummo digging shit.

Driving around dirty southern voodoo land meeting yokels in deliverance hill shires where they are peddling live and dead animals at 5AM is completely out of my league. 100% out of the fucking park.

I picture a young Aliet sleeping out in a grassy field under the shade of his beaten up chevy van as the gypsy caravan sets up their canvace and wood tables.

A goat licks his face.

The goat is tied to a leash. Little children are chasing chickens. He awakens to a toothless rundown "Ned Betty" type of character who hands him Bobby Puanetto.

Mack I rode my bike past an antique shop 1 BLOCK FROM MY HOUSE.

Ari is like on some short stop "Indy, Indy! Don't Eat the Monkey Brains or the Man will Eat your heart!"

Fucking redonk.

• Man, I just picked up the recent 12" re-edit of this.

DOOOOOPE.

• Hey he looks just like the dude in your avatar!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Driving around dirty southern voodoo land meeting yokels in deliverance hill shires where they are peddling live and dead animals at 5AM is completely out of my league. 100% out of the fucking park.
    FYI: I bought only 1 record at this flea market.
    All the animals were alive... especially the Japanese Pygmy Goat.
    Is yokel a yiddish word?

I picture a young Aliet sleeping out in a grassy field under the shade of his beaten up chevy van as the gypsy caravan sets up their canvace and wood tables.
    that's very romantic of you, nate.
    i drive a vw though... and was travelling with this dude that morning in a chevy van.

A goat licks his face.
    The goat is tied to a leash. Little children are chasing chickens. He awakens to a toothless rundown "Ned Betty" type of character who hands him Bobby Puanetto.
    this is completely accurate.

Ari is like on some short stop "Indy, Indy! Don't Eat the Monkey Brains or the Man will Eat your heart!"
    i have absolutely no idea what this means.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    A few things recently..

Unplayed and mint (and free)

Also:
    a fantastic Tyree 12", Mariah - Heartbreaker 12" with a nice house remix, Geggy Tah - I Want to Thank You 12" (omg), Rapture - Olio one sided 12" some other shit

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yokle[/b] = Slang term for a dim-witted, often toothless country bumkin. Also see: Hillbilly, Skeeter, Cooter, etc...

"Indy, Indy!"[/b] = referance to the Indiana Jones movie "Temple of Doom" (the worst of the trilogy)

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

Got this cheap. I was a little suspect on the OG factor because it seemed unplayed with a glossy cover. However, it is a corner-cut, with a promo stamp on it. I'm guessing it's an OG.

GQ "Face to Face". Passed this before, but listened to it, and rather enjoyed it.

Perez Prado - El Unico... haven't fully listened to it, but a couple nice tunes from 1972 on here. This from an older, latin-loungy dude.

Young-Holt Unlimited - "On Stage"

Hugh Masekela - I am not afraid

• the back of the record explains that richard started playing ukele but then graduated to guitar. he also drives the tour van as pictured using some special devices that his dad made, having driven 55,000 miles w/out one accident or ticket

Local junk king/artist Tim Caldwell gave me this record years ago when I used to strictly collect wierdo religious joints. He also gave me an autographed copy of a LP by that dude who survived a plane crash and now looks like a mix between a preacher and a pound of hamburger.

SONIC