red cross no good?

p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
dunno if anyone brought this up re: heatrock moneys or not... red cross not trustworthy?

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I'd say they're about as not trustworthy as that site is trustworthy.

Title: Don't Give Your Hurricane Donations to the Red Cross
    Source: Prison Planet[/b]

I get all my reliable news from there.

I think we shouldn't start yet another Red Cross thread, but as of today they've given over 2 million meals out. They've been doing it for 125 years and in the scheme of things, although I myself don't trust them 100%, I think they're the most equipped to handle this.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    How come they don't site sources???

Where do they come up with these numbers?

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Red Cross and other large so-called charities are in actual fact front group collection agencies for the military industrial complex.

Many informed historians have even alleged that the Red Cross was used as a Skull and Bones cover to overthrow The Russian Czar and pave the way for the rise of the Bolsheviks...

...then they gave that up and decided to help people all around the world.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    In europe it's old news...they kept the money for the tsunamis in indonesia...and mofockers went on TV asking for people to STOP giving money. Awful organization. Nothing is better than concrete help, "?? la John Travolta". He didn't say shit but he took his azz over there with his plane and DID something. Giving money, well, i dunno...i can't talk. Y'all gonna bash me. But i have "proofs" that the money you're giving ain't helping none. Actually, i would ask to people to NOT give money just to be able to impeach a president's azz for NON-ASSISTANCE TO ENDANGERED PERSONS. The more i see this shit, the more i see a scam...The weathermen knew this shit would go down THE WAY it went down.

Last year, when Irak was the main attraction, a federal report STATED that a major flood will take place in LO. And even if all that is bullshit. Even if it was not predictable, the way U.S.A. reacted to this is pathetic. Even fuckin Pakistan does better in such situation. And what was the answer??? Sending State Troopers. Great. One bulldozer. Nice. But where's the help? THEE HELP. The one you have when you're U.S.A.

Until i read or hear a genius that proves me wrong...all that is a mascerade. The people which are sufffering from this are not valuable to the Government eyes. They are either non-voters, at best democrats, and above all not valuable as far as consummers.

In europe it's old news...they kept the money for the tsunamis in indonesia...and mofockers went on TV asking for people to STOP giving money. Awful organization. Nothing is better than concrete help, "?? la John Travolta". He didn't say shit but he took his azz over there with his plane and DID something. Giving money, well, i dunno...i can't talk. Y'all gonna bash me. But i have "proofs" that the money you're giving ain't helping none. Actually, i would ask to people to NOT give money just to be able to impeach a president's azz for NON-ASSISTANCE TO ENDANGERED PERSONS. The more i see this shit, the more i see a scam...The weathermen knew this shit would go down THE WAY it went down.
    Last year, when Irak was the main attraction, a federal report STATED that a major flood will take place in LO. And even if all that is bullshit. Even if it was not predictable, the way U.S.A. reacted to this is pathetic. Even fuckin Palistan does better in such situation. And what was the answer??? Sending State Troopers. Great. One bulldozer. Nice. But where's the help? THEE HELP. The one you have when you're U.S.A.

Until i read or hear a genius that proves me wrong...all that is a mascarade. The people which are sufffering from this are not valuable to the Government eyes. They are either non-voters, at best democrats, and above all not valuable as far as consummers.

I have no idea what your saying...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Last year, when Irak was the main attraction, a federal report STATED that a major flood will take place in LO. And even if all that is bullshit. Even if it was not predictable, the way U.S.A. reacted to this is pathetic. Even fuckin Palistan does better in such situation. And what was the answer??? Sending State Troopers. Great. One bulldozer. Nice. But where's the help? THEE HELP. The one you have when you're U.S.A.

Until i read or hear a genius that proves me wrong...all that is a mascarade. The people which are sufffering from this are not valuable to the Government eyes. They are either non-voters, at best democrats, and above all not valuable as far as consummers.

I have no idea what your saying...

co-sign...but DON'T STOP!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nothing is better than concrete help, "?? la John Travolta". He didn't say shit but he took his azz over there with his plane and DID something.

"Come with me, tiny brown people. I will show you The Way..."

• Red Cross and other large so-called charities are in actual fact front group collection agencies for the military industrial complex.

Many informed historians have even alleged that the Red Cross was used as a Skull and Bones cover to overthrow The Russian Czar and pave the way for the rise of the Bolsheviks...

...then they gave that up and decided to help people all around the world.

yeah the russian czar what a great guy he was !

• my mom gave me two links to grassroots places that seem pretty good:

Southern Poverty Law Center

http://www.splcenter.org/index.jsp

they might have a recommendation of which organization to give to.

Southern Mutual Help Association, Inc. is a Community Development group in Louisiana that has done great work for 36 years. Their Executive Director won a MacArthur Genius Award. They desperately need funds. Go to www.southernmutualhelp.org.

dave

i'm trying to battle Beetlejuice and steal his King's Column...

y'all don't pay attention to me...i'm dead drunk.

• In europe it's old news...they kept the money for the tsunamis in indonesia...and mofockers went on TV asking for people to STOP giving money. Awful organization. Nothing is better than concrete help, "?? la John Travolta". He didn't say shit but he took his azz over there with his plane and DID something. Giving money, well, i dunno...i can't talk. Y'all gonna bash me. But i have "proofs" that the money you're giving ain't helping none. Actually, i would ask to people to NOT give money just to be able to impeach a president's azz for NON-ASSISTANCE TO ENDANGERED PERSONS. The more i see this shit, the more i see a scam...The weathermen knew this shit would go down THE WAY it went down.

Until i read or hear a genius that proves me wrong...all that is a mascarade. The people which are sufffering from this are not valuable to the Government eyes. They are either non-voters, at best democrats, and above all poor, black folks that reside in the ghetto[/b]

damn man, you managed to understand me anyway??!! Props...i just tried to read it back myself and i had hard times. Sorry for that.

And you know, there was "a couple" of poor white people caught up too. Just a couple...granted, your bold statement is still valid.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/11/06/rec.charity.hearing/?related

Red Cross defends handling of Sept. 11 donations

November 6, 2001 Posted: 9:39 PM EST (0239 GMT)

Healy tells Congress the Red Cross "must have the ability to help the victims of tomorrow."

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Charities swung into action after the September 11 terrorist attacks, raising more than $1 billion. But questions are being raised about where and how and how much of that money is being distributed.

Bearing the brunt Tuesday during a hearing of the House Energy and Commerce Committee's oversight panel was outgoing Red Cross President Dr. Bernadine Healy.

The Red Cross has raised more than $564 million for the Liberty Fund, which was set up in response to the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

While the agency states on its Web site that it is spending more than any other relief agency responding to the terrorist attacks, it has distributed only $154 million.

Healy was hammered by one New York official for the Red Cross' decision to put aside nearly half of the money raised for future needs that may include terrorist attacks.

RESOURCES
    Breakdown of charity money

"I see the Red Cross, which has raised hundreds of millions of dollars that was intended by the donating public to be used for the victims of September 11 -- I see those funds being sequestered into long-term plans for an organization," testified New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer.

Healy later told CNN the Red Cross was a service organization and that previous donations had prepared the agency to deal with September 11.

"We had planned for a weapon of mass destruction attack," she said. "We knew our obligations under the congressional charter. We knew it involved victim assistance and sheltering. We knew that it involved with dealing with rescue workers. We knew that it involved blood."

She also noted that some of the new funding went toward helping communities learn how to deal with other threats such as anthrax.

The hearing was contentious, with panel members trying to get at the issue of donor intent and whether the Red Cross misled donors.

"What's at issue here is that a special fund was established for these families. It was specially funded for this event, September 11," said Rep. Billy Tauzin, R-Louisiana.

"And it is being closed now because we are told enough money's been raised in it, but we're also being told, by the way, we're going to give two-thirds of it away to other Red Cross needs."

The subcommittee asked Healy and her agency to provide the exact language of all of its television and newspaper appeals for donations.

Healy said what the agency has learned is it needs to explain to the public the mission of the Red Cross.

"Don't confuse us with the 9/11 Fund in New York. Don't confuse us with Habitat for Humanity. Don't confuse us with the scholarship in New York for the victims. We have to get that out," she said.

Controversy over the Liberty Fund was one reason Healy decided to resign at year's end. But she defended the agency's decision of how to use the money.

"The Liberty Fund is a war fund. It has evolved into a war fund," she said."We must have blood readiness. We must have the ability to help our troops if we go into a ground war. We must have the ability to help the victims of tomorrow."

Elizabeth McLaughlin says keeping up with red tape required an 18-page spreadsheet.

A widow who lost her husband in the World Trade Center attack also complained to the panel that what money was available from various charities was tied up in red tape and confusion.

"Why then haven't these charities been able to get together and agree on one uniform application? Why haven't they been able to get together and develop a quicker way for families to receive these funds?" asked Elizabeth McLaughlin of Pelham, New York.

"We all have the missing persons reports, death certificates, and any other proof needed to avoid fraud. But the charities are not sharing these documents and information with each other," she testified in tears.

She told the panel that she had to construct an 18-page spreadsheet to try to keep track of all the requirements of various aid groups.

McLaughlin received a $27,000 check from the Red Cross but fears she may still lose her house without additional aid.

The Red Cross said it has helped 25,000 families with food and temporary shelter, counseling and cash assistance.

Forbes.com
    American National Red Cross
    Top Person: Marsha Evans
    Top Salary:* $651,957

Forbes.com
    Salvation Army
    Top Person: W. Todd Bassett
    Top Salary: $166,850

- spidey

• Forbes.com
    Salvation Army

But he probably has better benefits.

• No doubt!

I still think a relief effort donation and a rebuilding donation should be thought about. In that case, ARC, and then someone who you know will be there

Lowe's like the anti-Home Depot. It's all blue in there.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    FACTS AT A GLANCE: American Red Cross Response to Hurricane Katrina

Regularly Updated Fact Sheet for the Media

Funds Received to Date – The Red Cross estimates that, as of Sept. 6, 2005, it has received 409.2 million in gifts and pledges for the hurricane relief effort, with approximately $209 million made online to date.

- spidey

• Forbes.com
    American National Red Cross
    Top Person: Marsha Evans
    Top Salary:* $651,957

Forbes.com
    Salvation Army

Anything on the size of the organizations for an apples-to-apples comparison?

• well if i remember right the biggest fuck up the red cross has had was the forest fires in cali, lots of people donated a lot of money and the local offices got new phones and some other shit i think just the area supervisor was making well over 160,000

• edubedub 715 Posts
    where's the thread with the discussion about who we're donating the money to?... is this it?

I just was reading about Community Labor United(CLU)... who's being spnsered by www.truemajority.org

For more information, please contact:
    Curtis Muhammad
    (504) 236-4703
    Malcolm Suber
    (713) 468-3016
    Becky Belcore
    (312) 804-3417
    Houston, TX ??? A national alliance of African-American community leaders are organizing a New Orleans People???s Committee to take action at hundreds of shelters across the Gulf Coast to end the suffering and deaths that have fallen on New Orleans hurricane survivors.

Community Labor United (CLU), a New Orleans coalition of labor and community activists, has put out a call to activists and organizations across the country to work in a ???people???s campaign with a plan.??? This will be the first call to action by leaders for the empowerment of hurricane survivors.

Until now, discussions of where to put evacuees have been speculative and buried under political finger-pointing. Meanwhile, FEMA, the White House, and Governor Blanco have yet to put out a short and long-term plan for New Orleans hurricane survivors.

???This is plain ugly, real racism,??? states Curtis Muhammad, CLU Organizing Director. ???While some politicians and organizations might skirt around the issue of race, we in New Orleans are not afraid to call it what it is. The moral values of our government is to ???shoot to kill??? hungry, thirsty black hurricane survivors for trying to live through the aftermath. This is not just immoral, it is a twisted extension of a natural disaster turned into a man-made disaster, fueled by racism.???

Leaders of CLU, in alliance with nearly twenty other local organizations and several national organizations will discuss their plan at a press conference on Tuesday, September 6, 2005, at 4:00 p.m. CST at the entrance of the Astrodome. A few of the talking points will be:

The formation of the New Orleans People???s Committee composed of hurricane survivors from each of the shelters
    The People???s Committee will demand to oversee FEMA, the Red Cross, and other organizations collecting resources on behalf of the black community of New Orleans
    A national call for volunteers to assist with housing, healthcare, education, and legal matters for the duration of the displacement
    The People???s Committee will demand to have decision-making power in the redevelopment of New Orleans
    Contributions for the People???s Committee and the national coalition can be sent to: www.qecr.org
    Community Labor United is a coalition of progressive organizations in New Orleans formed in 1998. They host a monthly breakfast forum for community members to discuss socioeconomic issues and strategy for community empowerment.

Curtis Muhammad is a veteran Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) member and co-founder of CLU.

My pick is either the Red Cross or Feed the Children.

Here is a report on them

Total Income - $958,079,081

Programs: 91% Fund Raising: 7% Administrative: 2%

Chief Executive Officer: Larry Jones

Compensation*: $155,786 *July 1, 2003 - June 30, 2004; compensation includes annual salary and, if applicable, benefit plans, expense accounts, and other allowances.

Chair of the Board: Dwight Powers

Chair's Profession / Business Affiliation: Automobile Dealer, Oklahoma City, OK

Board Size: 9

Paid Staff Size: 162

People should be checking out give.org

They give a good background on alot of charity groups.

Here's a few of the Hurricane Katrina Relief Organizations.

http://www.give.org/news/katrina.asp

But whatever the board does finally pick in the end is fine with me! But I do think it should be with a group that is reconized by the IRS and gives total information on their finances. The only problem with The Salvation Army is they don't. But I have no doubt they are a great organization none the less.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i'm not saying the Red Cross is bad, i'm just raising the question. we're all supposed to be well informed on here and it's obvious everyone here cares on a fairly deep level. The Red Cross is probably getting enough donations from your average TV watching couch potato because the Red Cross is the ONLY relief agency they know. We should do some research and find a good organization that might not be getting the shine the Red Cross gets, but still does good (and NEEDS the money more than the Red Cross)...

I just saw the gurl from The Red Cross state that every single $ donated to the red cross for katrina will goto that single cause. Nothing else...

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I hope so, cause I was just at the grocery store and on the PA I hear "Hurricane Katrina left thousands homeless and almost hopeless. Please donate to The Red Cross. Cash or check is preferred. Speak to your cashier for details. And thank you for shopping at Ralphs". There was alot more in between but I was looking for wheat bread.

But yo, you wanna talk about "gut instinct" going off? There was something almost Orwellian about the whole thing.

I can see just from that why people have reservations about them, but still, I think they're best equipped to handle something this big. And if I end up paying some dude's salary so that he can co-ordinate the people that get the money who get the food to the shelter that gives it to the people, so be it.

• Please do not talk about "gut instinct" here!

We deal in FACTS not FEELINGS.