Devil McDoom name mix up (advice related)

OlskiOlski 355 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
So I'm releasing this record by fellow strutter McDee under his Devil McDoom alias at the beginning of September.

Cafone Going
Blood Money

When he first came up with the name I thought, yeah funny another Doom. But McDoom which sounds a little scottish.

While promoting the 12" I started noticing that people are mixing his name up with the famous Dooms. A well-known producer from Berlin mailed me "Yeah, I had Doom's album on CD-R for a year now, great stuff" and some radio guy askeded me "Hey, can I have a copy of that new Devil MF Doom?".

What's your reaction on the name? Is it that easy to mix it up or - worse - does it look like we are trying to "cash in" on the similarities?

It's not a big deal for me, I'm just curious how people react on the name.

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    i personally think you have to be pretty stupid to mix them up. It's like saying anyone with the surname jackson is going to be mixed up with old mate mike.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    great 12"! buy it!

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i personally think you have to be pretty stupid to mix them up. It's like saying anyone with the surname jackson is going to be mixed up with old mate mike.

word who cares, in a couple of years they'll be like "mf who? you mean devil mcdoom?" anyways!

i actually got the name in a pretty nerdy way... it was a couple of years ago while i still lived at my parents place. some day i forgot to turn off the computer, and my little brother, 2 years younger than me, saw his chance to do a practical joke... he changed my nickname/alias/whatever on icq, msn and all those kinda applications to "Devil McDoom"!! some kinda internal joke they had, his own nickname at the time was "Speedy McFast". all his friends had different variations of it aswell! and lazy as i am i never cared to change back... and i never will!

• Anyway congratulations for your 12inch, shit is dope!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Dude, this is really nice.

Just listening to cafone gone and the shit is really the kinda stuff I'm feeling right now. The kinda big-bandy (yeah i dunno how to dfescribe it) brass in it reminds me of a track off the new Herbaliser LP that I really dug.

Anyway, so when/where the hell can I purchase a copy of this?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    So I'm releasing this record by fellow strutter McDee under his Devil McDoom alias at the beginning of September.

Great record. I was cutting over it for hours the other night.

• that avatar is the funnies tthing i've ever seen.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    Thanks alot for the response fellas... The face-melting-sayer-devil blowed my mind!

Got my own copies of the 12" yesterday. I would very much like to do trades with other strutters. Dont really own any soulstrut wax right now and would like to change that... Calling vanguardsquad, soulman, dubious and all others I've forgotten about. I need your rackords plaese!

Dude, this is really nice.

Just listening to cafone gone and the shit is really the kinda stuff I'm feeling right now. The kinda big-bandy (yeah i dunno how to dfescribe it) brass in it reminds me of a track off the new Herbaliser LP that I really dug.

Im actually working on a project called Sound Sci with Tone from Mass Influence - Its me, Herbaliser and Jonny Cuba on the beats. But I have no idea when thats gonna drop, some time next year I think.

Probably better if Olski replies to your 2nd question.

• That shit is NICE my man.

I'd offer a welkshake for trade, but I don't really have any to give away (and don't know how to get any)......

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

TTL will have stock in about a week. It will hit shops in Europe on Sept 5. If you need a copy now yopu can order it here

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Nice one. Well I'm about due for some turntablelab order action, si I'll hang out until it comes up.

Once again, really nice work.