List 10 Great Reasons To Visit Montreal

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
I've been invited to DJ a mod event there at the end of August and want to find things to do. I know nothing about the city. I like hiking, museums and vegan food. I could care less about record shopping unless there's a place with true gems. Thanks anyone who can help, and of I'd be down to meet any Strutteurs Montrealers who want to meet someone from LA via NC.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I spent a cool afternoon at Mont Royal. Nice little hike.....no too crowded.....touristy.......nice view.....trails.....etc.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    what is the mod event?

the mont-royal hike is a great way to see the city and enjoy the atmosphere afterwars on a sunday (probably after your gig)

there is incredible vegan food at crudessence (well situated locations) and some other local spots

the ladies and ontreal crowds are awesome to dj for

good local acts to check for

great city to visit on the fly (no need for a car)

depending on the lenght of your stay i can give you more advice

also if you like beer then you are in heaven

museums are solid as well

• montreal is roughly a thousand times better than having to make a list to lure you.

top 5 cities in North America (excluding winter).

best food, deepest cultural palette, astounding nightlife, remarkable reverence for architecture and art(ists), highly affordable even by canadian standard....

....now that you mention it, you should be so lucky.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    What he said. Montreal is the shit.

I plan on spending a couple of weekends there this summer. I dare say... I like the city more than Toronto. If it wasn't for the excruciating winters I think I would move there.

PCMR can definitely hook you up with a list of things to do. He gave me a great itinerary for my first visit there! Bought a few records and shared a spliff last summer. I hope to link with him again this summer - if his kids aren't taking up all his time!

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    MARCO, it's my favorite city, been many times. Hit me up!

I will say, if you're traveling alone or with non-français then bring along a simple French cheat sheet, with shit like directions, days of the week, etc. Civic stuff. Most people in the metro area are bi-lingual (at least) so don't worry about speaking it.

And there's some great digging there, don't dismiss that outright. It's still fun.

If we haven't moved to California by then, I will meet you there.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    soulmarcosa said:
    I've been invited to DJ a mod event

Please to hit us up with your top 10 Mod tracks.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

top 3 cities in North America (excluding winter).

• au pied de cochon

schwartz's

romados

jardin nelson

cafe grand

crudessence (vegan)

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i cant believe i missed vintageinfants twice now
    i must make up for it
    keep us posted on the developments but bottomline just accept

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

romados

^^^ never tried this one. ^^^

My spot was http://www.yelp.com/biz/coco-rico-montreal

but that's mainly because it was 2 blocks from my crib. the sandos were good tho.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    romados is the ubergod that fathered the scene of all portuguese chicken places (but not as dope as it once was)

Co-sign on Jardin Nelson, beautiful spot. While you're there stroll Place Jacques-Cartier and the adjoining streets.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    pcmr said:
    i cant believe i missed vintageinfants

I did too
    I still can't live with myself

• looking at those older threads, gotta shout out Little Burgundy for the english in montreal experience.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Proud I birthed an SS thread that is worth referencing!

Seriously though. Montreal is great. You won't regret going.

• forgot to mention this vegan place. :necessary:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yeah sick spot

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    heard of multiple people really enjoying bachelor parties there

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I am looking at going end of June/start of July to see the Jake and Dinos Chapman show. I'll probably stay with an AirBnB spot, can Montreal folks please recommend a couple of neighbourhoods I should zero in on for good places to eat and groceries close-by and not too bougie?

I was on Saint Marc and Saint Mathieu as a little kid, but I have no idea about the city anymore.

Thank You.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Your last spot (St-Marc) was downtown, which isn't really ideal in any regard.

A lot of the good things to do/eat/etc are around the Plateau or the Mile-End, or the very nice area surrounding Laurier park.
    Proximity to a park is key in the summer, i'd say, but everything is pretty close and reachable by foot or bike.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I had a dj gig there some 3 (?) years back. Great, local charcuterie, forgot which place but the best I ever had outside of France and great wines (my host was a sommelier). Next day pre-party bbq with more amazing food, killer party at great, Haitian run venue. Followed by an after party. I literally both, partied like it was 1999 (Mark will know what I mean) and almost had a little too much fun, made it on the train back home (again literally) the last minute, totally out of breath and a red-eyed, sweaty mess. Best weekend I had in 4 years of living in NYC.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    bassie said:
    I am looking at going end of June/start of July to see the Jake and Dinos Chapman show. I'll probably stay with an AirBnB spot, can Montreal folks please recommend a couple of neighbourhoods I should zero in on for good places to eat and groceries close-by and not too bougie?

I was on Saint Marc and Saint Mathieu as a little kid, but I have no idea about the city anymore.

Thank You.

you are pretty much describing villeray/parc ex...lots of local ethnic (hate that word) grocery shops delicious restos nice neighbourhood vibe but not bougie like plateau still can take a night bus home on the main streets pretty perfect and more of a real montreal experience

holla when you are in town for the good dj night recommendations

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Frank said:
    I had a dj gig there some 3 (?) years back. Great, local charcuterie, forgot which place but the best I ever had outside of France and great wines (my host was a sommelier). Next day pre-party bbq with more amazing food, killer party at great, Haitian run venue. Followed by an after party. I literally both, partied like it was 1999 (Mark will know what I mean) and almost had a little too much fun, made it on the train back home (again literally) the last minute, totally out of breath and a red-eyed, sweaty mess. Best weekend I had in 4 years of living in NYC.

those were good times

pcmr said:
    bassie said:

Thank You.

you are pretty much describing villeray/parc ex...lots of local ethnic (hate that word) grocery shops delicious restos nice neighbourhood vibe but not bougie like plateau still can take a night bus home on the main streets pretty perfect and more of a real montreal experience

holla when you are in town for the good dj night recommendations

Thank You! I did find a spot there - by Jean Talon and Fabre metros, but she's booked for my dates.
    How are Cotes des Neiges and Shaunnessy Village?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    cote des neiges is really fun and is (with NDG) my former stomping grounds

it is however its own world kindof insulated fomr the rest of the city which can be cool
    cote des neiges has all the services and one bus directly to downtown but slightly less access than other spots
    still recommended though

Since you're near there, at the Jean Talon market, chow down at El Del Ray Taco. They make a sort of Cuban sandwich that's so good I have to grab an extra for home as we leave: pork, beef, chorizo, eggs, cheese, avocado, tomatoes, lettuce, and jalape├▒os.

my loss - I only eat seafood and fish.

Go to the market anyway, you could spend all day there, at least in the harvest season.