Forbes 2013 List of Highest Paid DJ's

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
this list is a bit ridiculous but it's neat to see a former local guy doing so well, i hope he's taking care of tripledouble in high style.

1. Calvin Harris ($46 million)
2. Tiesto ($32 million)
3. David Guetta ($30 million)
4. Swedish House Mafia ($25 million)
5. Deadmau5 ($21 million)
6. Avicii ($20 million)
7. Afrojack ($18 million)
8. Armin van Buuren ($17 million)
9 (tie). Skrillex ($16 million)
9 (tie). Kaskade ($16 million)
11. Steve Aoki ($14 million)
12. DJ Pauly D ($13 million)
13. Diplo ($13 million)

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eeel45eekjh/the-worlds-highest-paid-djs-2/#gallerycontent

Comments

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    I always have to smile when I see lists like this and realise that there are >30% names I have never heard of and >90% DJs I have never heard.
    What am I missing anything?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Playing Yahoo! Chess in front of hundreds - thousands, even - people on drugs is why they get the big bucks. I'm jealous.

• Man, I'm out of it....never heard any of these dudes. They sound European.
    Where's Kid Capri, Rob Swift and J Rocc at???

• NabozoNabozo 48 Posts
    Yemsky said:
    I always have to smile when I see lists like this and realise that there are >30% names I have never heard of and >90% DJs I have never heard.
    What am I missing anything?

and some rihanna singles from Guetta I guess

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Never heard of Calvin Harris. Who's Paully D? His name sounds old school.

Man i feel old.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    I've heard of maybe half of those, but never in a positive way.

Pauly D sounds like the DJ name of one of the dudes from Jersey Shore.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    toby.d said:

Wow, that's a nasty elbow if I've ever seen one. Looks like a dehydrated chicken wing. The midget sidekick ads some novelty value though.

• toby.d said:

is that HarveyCanal????

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Shouldn't this be a highest paid PRODUCER list?

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    DO YOU DUDES EVEN PARTY!????!??!

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Other than Avicii, I've heard of all of these.

I'm jealous that these dudes put together mixes months in advance, test them, polish them, and then just hit play at a gig that will pay them $50,000+ for what is essentially a listening party rather than a live set.

Noodle around on the knobs a bit, raise their hands...and make bank.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    ppadilha said:

Yeah, that's cause he is from the jersey shore.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Electrode said:
    ..people on drugs is why they get the big bucks. I'm jealous.
    nah, you don't make that kind of money playing to mollied up ravers, these people make the big bucks because they are mainstream and corporate.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I'm sure the numbers are more-or-less correct. It's not saying they get paid that much for each set they play, it's a total yearly income or total net worth or something. So the money comes from the songs they write for other artists, ads, shows they play and record sales (just read Calvin Harris had 9 Top 10 singles off his last album, the most ever) etc. I think that reflects both public tastes (please stop the planet, I want to get off) and the insane amount of money corporations can still chuck around.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    toby.d said:

is that HarveyCanal????

that is what i thought,

get that paper arachnid !

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    toby.d said:
    just read Calvin Harris had 9 Top 10 singles off his last album

I had never heard the name Calvin Harris before. Looks like my ignorance knows no limits...

Just walked into a local charity shop and the first CD on the rack was one called "I created Disco" by him. Wow what a claim. Is this the one with 9 hit singles?
    A quick check led me to conclude that at ??0.99 it was overpriced.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    The Secret Service EQ knob turner guy looks almost like me, sans glasses. Think MC Serch meets Richard Jaekel.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    maru said:
    ppadilha said:

I thought you meant they had the same name, but it's actually the dude from Jersey Shore. On the list of top 10 highest earning DJs in the country.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    maru said:
    ppadilha said:

I thought you meant they had the same name, but it's actually the dude from Jersey Shore. On the list of top 10 highest earning DJs in the country.

I agree on the WTF, but then again, If it means anything, he was a working DJ before he ever got booked onto Jersey Shore. I'm pretty sure he just spins a bunch of house chud, but at least he was already doing it, I guess. He probably played a lot of shitty, marginal gigs before he hit the MTV lottery. Of course, all of these guys probably caught some sort of break, one way or another. I probably wouldn't find many of these DJs that compelling, so Pauly D is probably no more or less tepid than any of the others on the list. He just took the most public and the most corny route to get there.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Surprising though it is, don't begrudge Calvin Harris this - seems like a good dude. Still like a lot of his solo stuff, Dizzee Rascal collab etc etc. A lot more interesting than the euro donk of I Found Love, but then that record is why he's top of this list.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    maru said:
    ppadilha said:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    toby.d said:

is that HarveyCanal????

Does kinda look like me...ha!

Reminds me of when my friend took this pic of a random dude in New Orleans that he thought looked like me...

Apparently, I'm all over the place.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Reminds me of when my friend took this pic of a random dude in New Orleans that he thought looked like me...

Apparently, I'm all over the place.

Ha! That's a good one. The context makes him look even more like you, if that makes any sense.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    ppadilha said:
    maru said:
    ppadilha said:

Dude scratches like Silkk the Shocker raps.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Duderonomy said:
    ppadilha said:
    maru said:
    ppadilha said:

Dude scratches like Silkk the Shocker raps.

Haha. I guess I have to amend my statement now that this new shit has come to light. Dude sucks pretty bad.