What would you do? (DJ related)

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
So I was djing this spot last night - no kill whitie - with one of my dj partners, and a friend of ours. We usually do like an hour set each to get a good little session on, and then we start switching up every 4 or 5 records. Problem was, the owner kept coming up every 5 minutes to basically tell us how bad we were fucking up when the dancefloor was packed and moving. On top of it - no braggadoccio - the other 2 djs would get about 2 songs into a set, then play something that would thin out or clear the floor. I was consistently getting the floor packed again. So, I guess my question is, at a couple times of the night, I had the notion to tell the other djs to back off cause you're killing the dancefloor, and the owner is getting pissed. Would you tell your friends that your djing with to step off and take over?It didn't help much that the owner was being a dick, and would come bitch to me about "you guys are fucking up, stop playing that house shit" and I wasn't even the one who was playing that stuff. It's like he wasn't even paying attention to who was djing when, and ignoring the fact that the dancefloor was packed, and that it was a slow night out in the whole neighborhood.

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Is it your gig that you are sharing with some other djs? If so, then you need to take control and do what is best to keep things going there. If it is an effort on the part of your crew you need to talk to them and sort things out and let them know that when they play certain types of music and clear the floor the manager is coming to you all pissed off. If you are being forced to share the turntables with some other djs that you didn't book you should talk to the manager and let him know who is clearing the floor.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is it your gig that you are sharing with some other djs? If so, then you need to take control and do what is best to keep things going there. If it is an effort on the part of your crew you need to talk to them and sort things out and let them know that when they play certain types of music and clear the floor the manager is coming to you all pissed off. If you are being forced to share the turntables with some other djs that you didn't book you should talk to the manager and let him know who is clearing the floor.

• yeah, it's kinda a sticky situation. The owner wanted to book me and my partner, but he is a bit flaky, and kept 'losing' my card and mix demo - that I gave him twice. Anyways, my partner kinda inked the whole deal, so it was a 'crew' kinda deal. The owner was not shy about coming up to the booth and telling us when he wasn't feeling something. But we played the same type of music the last time we played there. So I think homeboy either doesn't remember or something.

Part of me wants to go talk to the owner, and be: "look, let's do a night with just me, cause everyone was digging on what I was doing, and you were only getting pissed when it was one of the other djs playing." But I feel like that would be the supsect, going behind your boys back to sweep the gig out from under his feet for my own benefit move.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I can confirm Prof had the dancefloor at his mercy and everytime the yo boys got on it went a bit pfffrrrt. Within a couple of minutes owner is coming over and Prof catches heat because he's now standing next to the booth. Anyway, you've got a few years/pounds/crates on those two rat-faced homeboys so I'd say next time tell them to go fetch you a martini while you handle the situation.

• pasepase 89 Posts
    it doesn't matter who did what. you are still one dj basically. if you and your friends/ crew don't spin in the same vein and/ or complement each other, you have no business doing parties together. the dance floor should never be empty, especially in a club owners eyes. it doesn't matter who did the clearing, you're both up there together. but to answer your original question... yes, tell dudes to step off if they can't do the job. they should understand.

• I can confirm Prof had the dancefloor at his mercy and everytime the yo boys got on it went a bit pfffrrrt. Within a couple of minutes owner is coming over and Prof catches heat because he's now standing next to the booth. Anyway, you've got a few years/pounds/crates on those two rat-faced homeboys so I'd say next time tell them to go fetch you a martini while you handle the situation.

yeah, I was about ready to, but my one boy is kinda sensitive, and would have got all bent out of shape.

God! I'm so passive agressive/non-confrontational!!!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    So I was djing this spot last night - no kill whitie - with one of my dj partners, and a friend of ours. We usually do like an hour set each to get a good little session on, and then we start switching up every 4 or 5 records.

Problem was, the owner kept coming up every 5 minutes to basically tell us how bad we were fucking up when the dancefloor was packed and moving. On top of it - no braggadoccio - the other 2 djs would get about 2 songs into a set, then play something that would thin out or clear the floor. I was consistently getting the floor packed again.

So, I guess my question is, at a couple times of the night, I had the notion to tell the other djs to back off cause you're killing the dancefloor, and the owner is getting pissed. Would you tell your friends that your djing with to step off and take over?

It didn't help much that the owner was being a dick, and would come bitch to me about "you guys are fucking up, stop playing that house shit" and I wasn't even the one who was playing that stuff. It's like he wasn't even paying attention to who was djing when, and ignoring the fact that the dancefloor was packed, and that it was a slow night out in the whole neighborhood.

::

ProfferRocker,

I didn't actually read your dilemma, but I have found a universal TheMack truth that can be readily applied to any and all situation, and that is:

just poke him out yo. who cares? you only got one life to live hommie, lay that pipe game and then brag about it to your friend.

• just poke him out yo. who cares? you only got one life to live hommie, lay that pipe game and then brag about it to your friend.

if you follow 's universal versatile advice get ready to be called a fag by king

there are always repercussions to doing the right thing

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts