Introductory Post

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
What's up everybody?

I've been a fan of this site for a minute and finally got around to registering. So an introductory post is in order.

I am in my mid-20s and work as a small-time newspaper reporter in the Midwest, U.S.A.

I'm only ankle-deep in this whole funk/soul thing, and enjoying soaking it up. While I am always eager to learn about rare and/or privte press artists, I believe that some of the most popular stuff was big-time for a reason, i.e. it was good; it's no secret why Kind of Blue is one of the best-selling jazz records of all time: because it cannot be fucked with.

While I have not actively contributed to this message board, I feel much more at home here than other boards. People here can wax intelligent about everything from body hair to hot sauce. On other boards, I struggle to generate conversation about anything aside from the most cursory of topics, like what I drank at the club last night. That shit's as deep as a puddle. Here it's more like a swamp.

I'll stop with the flattery.

Peace.

P.S. On the headphones late last night: The K&D Sessions. On the car stereo this morning on my way to work: 4 Hero Life:Styles, which is not too shabby of a compilation.

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    body hair to hot sauce

here it's more like a swamp

Winning of hearts and minds.

• welcome. that is a good first post. hope you stay around and contribute.

dave

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I struggle to generate conversation about anything aside from the most cursory of topics, like what I drank at the club last night.

Welcome! So let's get down to business. What did you drank at the club last night?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I struggle to generate conversation about anything aside from the most cursory of topics, like what I drank at the club last night.

Welcome! So let's get down to business. What did you drank at the club last night?

I had one M.G.D., drafted only once, meaning I stayed in and grabbed whatever was in the fridge. Tonight's looking like a whiskey night though.

• Options
    Mail me the Dan Boadie LP, plaese?

Welcome, K in Canada

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    People here can wax intelligent about everything from body hair to hot sauce.

Paging Herm.........

Here it's more like a swamp/S> whole other planet with verbiage that mere mortals cannot comprehend.

Up and welcome.

Is it a Jack kinda evening or a Chivas Regal kinda evening?

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    4 Hero Life:Styles, which is not too shabby of a compilation.

No, it really isn't.

Welcome!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    well done introduction, and nice dismount.

You're in Chicago. Might I know you?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Welcome.

Thanks for all the kind words.

pacman: Depends on who's buying. Maybe I buy myself and a close buddy an early round Bushmills, but the night could easily decend into some Early Times debauchery.

dCast: I don't think I know you. What type of spots do you frequent? This summer, for the lack of a better term, I've been a frequent of the "dance music" scene, at spots like Sonotheque, Moonshine and Summer Dance at Grant Park. Record wise, I haven't done much shopping aside from a few trips to the Second Hand Tunes on Milwaukee and on Clark, and few spots in the suburbs. Just yesterday I was at a Christian thrift store and a woman was nice enough to ask me: "Do you like that Big Brass sound?"

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I bought my girlfriend white tea once. It was expensive. But, I think I had just spent like 60 bucks on a record.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    4 Hero Life:Styles, which is not too shabby of a compilation.

No, it really isn't.

Welcome!
    get an avatar.

welcome.
    blazing downtempo heads are always welcome in my book.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Welcome yout!(dude)

• welcome white tea. i agree with what you said. i like soulstrut because records is what we all have in common but you are free here to share knowledge of anything or ask any advice for whatever may be troubling you. peace, stein. . .

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    People here can wax intelligent about everything from body hair to hot sauce[/b].

Paging Herm.........

Ha ha! Welcome, White Tea! Hopefully DJ Pumpotron 2000 won't try to kill you!

Herm

P.S. Is there really such a thing as white tea? What does it taste like (1)? (insert King Moist here (2)) Wow, that was 2 in one(3)! Count 'em, fools!!! Try and top me(4)! I'm killin' stabbin' em (5)!

Seriously though, I'm being seriously serious here. Is it like green tea?

There is actually something called white tea, and it is on the expensive side, but it's still tea, so it's not too pricey. But the reason why it costs a little more than your garden variety black and green and red teas is that it's not processed nearly as much if at all. I think they actually harvest the tea leaves before they completely bud. I'm no expert; I just drink the stuff. It's very cleansing, and even more mellow than green tea. Plus, you're only supposed to seep it for like a minute, so you can use one bag about twice (if you want).

• i'm shamelessly going to take advantage of white tea's post and step up too.
    i've been following the site and the forums for a few years now and finally got my shit together and registered. I'm 22 years old and live in helsinki finland. this site has been such a huge source of info for me that i decided it's finally time for me to add my two cents in and contribute to this board what i possibly can. as i couldn't agree more on what white tea wrote about feeling at home here i didn't want to start a new topic for mine.

peace

here's five songs i'm feelin at the moment:

Kokomo - I'm sorry babe

Linda Lewis - Love where are you now

Curtis Mayfield - Tripping out

Kool G Rap - Ill street blues

Ed OG & the Bulldogs - Life of a kid in the ghetto