Soul Strut 100: # 28.5 - Funky Technician

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central

Lord Finesse & DJ Mike Smooth...........

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• I just have an issue with his voice. It's grating to me. Sorry.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I love that fucking album. No if's and's or maybe's.

• This dude is the b-boy's b-boy: raw rapper, great producer (sleigh bells!), and a great dj. His mix tapes were among the best in the game too. Great track selection and dope blends and cuts. I used to follow him around the Roosevelt and try and spy on what records he was buying.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    so glad i finally own the instrumentals to this album...so dope!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Love the Art of Noise in this...

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Mine has white title, just saw one with red words. What's the deal?

a super classique rapp album, also.
    like mega super classique.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Mine has white title, just saw one with red words. What's the deal?

red words = German pressing

gold words = OG

white words = repress

This was the first Hip-Hop album I bought (by accident!) and I love it - from start to finish.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Track the Movement is my joint off this, but the whole thing is classic.

the gold writing was always so hard to find in the UK. there must be a reason why this is such a tough pull, because Main Source and plenty other Wild Pitch turned up way more regularly

drbrownscelray said:
    This dude is the b-boy's b-boy: raw rapper, great producer (sleigh bells!), and a great dj. His mix tapes were among the best in the game too. Great track selection and dope blends and cuts. I used to follow him around the Roosevelt and try and spy on what records he was buying.

oh shit. where can i hear lord finesse's mix tapes? what was on them?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    OptimusLime said:
    I just have an issue with his voice. It's grating to me. Sorry.

I'm entirely the opposite - love his voice and his entire style. I'd put him right near the very top of producers who rap (yeah yeah I know he doesn't actually produce on this album but still). Wasn't there a top MCs thread a few years ago where there was a massive influx of people putting him in their top twenty? Way too lazy to look for it.

Anyway, classic album.

dude's voice stands on its own pedestal. i got no idea how something could say its grating.
    mentioned it before, but i was digging next to him at wfmu without realizing it and when he said maybe 3 words to the dealer, there was immediate recognition.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I was never a big fan of his production.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah I'd certainly rate him as a rapper/producer rather than a producer/rapper (certainly no coincidence that his album quality declined as his control of the production increased) but he's passable enough to warrant the tag.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I know it's not from this album, but..."When asked who's the funkiest, you better mention me!"

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    anyone cop any of those slice-of-spice 45's that they put out? i gripped a bunch of em, i wasnt able to get em all...

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Junior said:
    Yeah I'd certainly rate him as a rapper/producer rather than a producer/rapper (certainly no coincidence that his album quality declined as his control of the production increased) but he's passable enough to warrant the tag.

as a product of its time, i'd say The Awakening is a really good album. i just revisited it and was very glad i did. the el oh ar dee ef eye en ee double ess ee got beats